a new class of ship for rcl

I think this would be Harmony and Oasis 4, being built in France, and which are marginally larger then their Oasis class sisters.

Given RCI's move back smaller on the Quantum class, and the port limitations, I don't see much market for a ship larger than Oasis, nor even for more of the current Oasis class.

My guess is that Royal Carribean Cruises (the parent company) will begin to invest in new builds for Celebrity vs. newer Royal Caribbean ships after Harmony and Oasis 4. There are already two Celebrity ships on order for 2018 and 2020 - code named Project EDGE, which will be built in France at STX (where the Oasis classes are built).

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11946-celebrity-cruises-orders-two-new-ships.html

Meyer Werft will probably take some new build orders from Norwegian Cruises next like they did when they rotated between the Getaway class and the Quantum class.

My guess is that Royal Carribean Cruises (the parent company) will begin to invest in new builds for Celebrity vs. newer Royal Caribbean ships after Harmony and Oasis 4. There are already two Celebrity ships on order for 2018 and 2020 - code named Project EDGE, which will be built in France at STX (where the Oasis classes are built).

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11946-celebrity-cruises-orders-two-new-ships.html

Meyer Werft will probably take some new build orders from Norwegian Cruises next like they did when they rotated between the Getaway class and the Quantum class.

And my hope is that Royal takes those Project EDGE designs and uses them for a new class.

Ps... I'm putting my money on the OP not returning to share "new" info.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

I would also hope that RCL will replace the Vision and later the Radiance class with a combination of ships the size of the radiance class and between Radiance and Voyager Class so that they will continue to offer cruises in the future on smaller ships serving ports where even Voyager Class ships cannot go to and of course an alternative to the mega ships.

Nevertheless it could also be that for the future the itinerary based cruises and smaller ship experience will only be offered by Celebrity and RCL will have as smallest ship the Quantum Class. If this is not the case RCL should slowly have some plans in the pipeline than by 2020 it's slowly time for the Vision Class to get replaced

Edited by LXA350

I would also hope that RCL will replace the Vision and later the Radiance class with a combination of ships the size of the radiance class and between Radiance and Voyager Class so that they will continue to offer cruises in the future on smaller ships serving ports where even Voyager Class ships cannot go to and of course an alternative to the mega ships.

Nevertheless it could also be that for the future the itinerary based cruises and smaller ship experience will only be offered by Celebrity and RCL will have as smallest ship the Quantum Class. If this is not the case RCL should slowly have some plans in the pipeline than by 2020 it's slowly time for the Vision Class to get replaced

I think that with the high end brands of every cruise line trending towards larger ships, that RCI will most likely not have any ships smaller than the "project Edge" or Voyager class. I think you will only find the smaller ships in the luxury and super-luxury brands.

And my hope is that Royal takes those Project EDGE designs and uses them for a new class.

Considering the planned Oct 2018 delivery of the first Project Edge ship, I'm surprised no info has come out yet - steel cutting should start this year. An RCI derivation of that ship is an obvious way for RCCL to recoup the design costs. Size wise it also makes sense as it is small enough that it could replace both Vision and Radiance class ships.

Edited by Biker19

Considering the planned Oct 2018 delivery of the first Project Edge ship, I'm surprised no info has come out yet - steel cutting should start this year. An RCCL derivation of that ship is an obvious way for RCCL to recoup the design costs. Size wise it also makes sense as it is small enough that it could replace both Vision and Radiance class ships.

Agreed. It makes lots of sense.

I'd say the chance of Royal using the design is pretty large. Remember, Quantum Class is basically S Class with more bells and whistles, while Radiance Class is pretty similar to M Class.

I think that with the high end brands of every cruise line trending towards larger ships, that RCI will most likely not have any ships smaller than the "project Edge" or Voyager class. I think you will only find the smaller ships in the luxury and super-luxury brands.

From a business perspective then, does RCI eventually leave the 3/4 night Bahamas market and the longer 10/11 night market that are currently serviced by the older/smaller ships? Or does RCI hope that by the time those ships are gone, the cruising market will have grown enough so that these routes can be served by ships as large as Voyager/Freedom and the mainline 7 night cruises are served by the Oasis/Quantum ships? I wonder if they then abandon ports like Tampa, which could probably never handle a large ship.

I guess we've seen that in Alaska a bit where Explorer is now doing the AK cruises where they were previously done by smaller ships.

I tend to agree with that. I think even Voyager is too small now. Can't see them building a ship with less than 4K passenger capacity.

I tend to agree with that. I think even Voyager is too small now. Can't see them building a ship with less than 4K passenger capacity.

Yeah, but does higher capacity necessarily = larger ship? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

To keep cruise fares low enough to attract the mass-market demographic, the economy of scale just isn't there with smaller ships.

From a business perspective then, does RCI eventually leave the 3/4 night Bahamas market and the longer 10/11 night market that are currently serviced by the older/smaller ships? Or does RCI hope that by the time those ships are gone, the cruising market will have grown enough so that these routes can be served by ships as large as Voyager/Freedom and the mainline 7 night cruises are served by the Oasis/Quantum ships? I wonder if they then abandon ports like Tampa, which could probably never handle a large ship.

I guess we've seen that in Alaska a bit where Explorer is now doing the AK cruises where they were previously done by smaller ships.

Yes, I think that every type of itinerary will see an increase in capacity to match the anticipated increase in demand. Tampa may go away, or they may build the new cruise terminal outside the bridge.

Are they going to abandon Tampa? Vancouver? Baltimore? And various other ports of call throughout the world? It will be many years before some of these places can handle a ship larger than Radiance. And as someone else already mentioned, are they going to put a 3-4k passenger ship on the Bahamas runs? I can't imagine the Vision Class staying much past ~2020-22. What happens then?

Personally, I'm still sticking with the hope that the EDGE design moves over to Royal. At this point in time, Celebrity is just as much a mass market line as Royal. If EDGE works for them, I think Royal can make it work.

I'm not arguing...simply stating some constructive discussion.

Edited by OfTheSeasCruiser

Are they going to abandon Tampa? Vancouver? Baltimore? And various other ports of call throughout the world? It will be many years before some of these places can handle a ship larger than Radiance. And as someone else already mentioned, are they going to put a 3-4k passenger ship on the Bahamas runs? I can't imagine the Vision Class staying much past ~2020-22. What happens then?

Personally, I'm still sticking with the hope that the EDGE design moves over to Royal. At this point in time, Celebrity is just as much a mass market line as Royal. If EDGE works for them, I think Royal can make it work.

I'm not arguing...simply stating some constructive discussion.

I agree, eventually they will have to face the fact that the Vision and Radiance class ships will have to leave the fleet.

Maybe by that time they will have 10K passenger ships in FLL/PC/Miami, and they won't care about losing the the smaller passenger volume at the other ports.

I agree, eventually they will have to face the fact that the Vision and Radiance class ships will have to leave the fleet.

Maybe by that time they will have 10K passenger ships in FLL/PC/Miami, and they won't care about losing the the smaller passenger volume at the other ports.

Oh jeez...10k!!!

But I guess we all thought the Oasis Class' 6k was a lot. Now its almost become normal. :)

If you want to know what RCCI is planning, just go the U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission's website, search RCCI's company filings via EDGAR:

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/884887/000088488716000126/rcl-20151231x10k.htm

Here you will find in its 10-K RCCI's plans for what it plans to build, as well as its financial reporting.

A quote from its Fleet upgrade, maintenance and expansion section:

"Our brands, excluding our 50% joint venture TUI Cruises, currently have seven new ships on order. These consist of three Quantum-class ships, which are scheduled to enter service in the second quarter of 2016, second quarter of 2019 and fourth quarter of 2020, respectively, two Oasis-class ships, which are scheduled to enter service in the second quarters of 2016 and 2018, respectively, and two ships of a new generation for Celebrity Cruises, which are scheduled to enter service in the second half of 2018 and the first half of 2020, respectively. The addition of these seven ships is expected to increase our passenger capacity by approximately 29,150 berths by December 31, 2020, or approximately 28.6%, as compared to our capacity as of December 31, 2015. In addition, TUI Cruises, our 50% joint venture, currently has agreements for the construction of four new ships. These ships are scheduled to enter service in the second quarters of 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019, with an expected total capacity of 10,700 berths.

In addition, we regularly evaluate opportunities to order new ships, purchase existing ships or sell ships in our current fleet. In the current environment of high industry demand, we anticipate placing orders for new ships earlier than historical practice as well as more aggressively seeking to sell older capacity."

Everything you want to know about what RCCI's plans are for the next several years are here as reported to the SEC. Also check out RCCI's 10-Qs and other filings at the SEC's website. It's all there.

Edited by SailyaCruise

Well, Bob, a 10K pax ship also requires a crew, and while the 1:2 or 1:3 crew to pax ratios are now the domain of the luxury lines, a ship with 10K pax will still need at least 2-3K crew. That means 12K to 13K on board.

How big will this ship need to be?

How about 275-300K GT?

Now, can a ship like this be built? Sure, but you will need a ship yard willing to take an order for several of them so they can afford to expand their facilities to accommodate it. Then, it all comes down to finding ports that will accommodate it; otherwise it is tender at all port stops.

The cost of such a ship? I figure at least $2 billion, and RCI is the most highly leveraged of all cruise companies.

I don't see this happening anytime soon.:cool:

Edited by loubetti

What will they do in the Mediterranean and other smaller ports of call. Unless, they:

Create a separate division with Vision & Brilliance class to ply these ports,

Cede this market to their competition,

Cede this market to niche or luxury brand companies.

What will they do in the Mediterranean and other smaller ports of call. Unless, they:

Create a separate division with Vision & Brilliance class to ply these ports,

Cede this market to their competition,

Cede this market to niche or luxury brand companies.

They have Oasis class in the Med now, so maybe they give up the smaller ports if they are able to fill the huge ships.