How to get the wrinkles out?

uilleann

No matter how I pack my clothes they get wrinkled.

So I used to pack a travel steamer which worked great. But I am trying to pack lighter and the legality of bringing them on board is questionable. I also have foldable fedora's that would like steam to relax out the wrinkles.

What are the options. I know I can send the clothes out for cleaning and pressing but that is expensive and takes time and will not help the hats. I can hang stuff in the bathroom and run the shower.... That seems a waste.

Do the laundry rooms have irons and steamers or irons that steam?

Any other options?

I can attest that running the shower and letting the steam work is not effective. I have been doing it for years and have more wrinkles than ever :D

BTW, I would say that taking your own steamer on board is not of 'questionable' legality . . .

Edited by Slugsta
typo
  • Like 1

Have you ever packed using tissue paper? It is a very effective way of reducing wrinkles. I buy it by the ream from Amazon. As I am folding shirts I put a three or four folded pieces of paper to soften the folds.

I put scrunched up paper in the sleeves of my Tux and sport coats and if I am using hangers I put four or five folded pieces of paper over the hanger before I put trousers on them. If I have to fold a suit coat, I put a four or five pieces of folded paper into the area of the fold. The paper absorbs moisture which created wrinkles.

When you get aboard, hang the clothes at once. Then if there are any wrinkles that don't hang out, use a steamer (which I send in my White Star Bag), use the steam iron in the laundries, or send the goods for pressing. Natural fibers like cotton and wool tend to be less wrinkly than man made fibers. I have a cashmere blazer that you could not wrinkle if you tried. It travels with me every trip.

• 3 months later...

Wrinkle release products, spray starch or just water in a spray bottle.  Here is a great trick:  Spray a little on your garment and use a hairdryer.  Hold the hairdryer just a couple inches from the area that you just sprayed and pull the area tight.  The heat will create steam and VIOLA, winkles disappear!  Another great way to touch up those areas that have creased while you were sitting (like your lower back or the hem of your blouse is a flat iron (the ones for your hair).  Just heat up your flat iron, being careful of how hot you let it get for delicate fabric, and treat the wrinkled area JUST like a section of hair.  Place the fabric between the plates and gently squeeze and pull at the same time.  I even do this while I'm wearing the garment! :classic_laugh:  Hope these hacks help others!  Happy vacationing!  

• Like 1

I have been packing in dry cleaner plastic bags for years and never have wrinkles. My husband does, too. He even packs 6-8 shirts together, leaving them on hangers then inserting them inside a dry cleaner bag - easy to hang and wrinkle free. I usually combine my formal gowns together, on hangers, and similarly insert them into long dry cleaner bags.

• 2 weeks later...

I, too, am a convert to the plastic dry cleaner bags and have found them to be an excellent solution to wrinkling.  My tux, dress shirts, suit, sportcoat and dress pants were all hung in the dry cleaner bags. When I took them out of my suitcase, there was not a wrinkle to be seen.  Why, I don't know - but it works!

The only problem I have with all of these great ideas is space. We are packing for 15 days, including a stay in Hamburg before our cruise. As it is, we will need an extra suitcase which is a garment bag. On an international flight, that costs us $100.00 each way. Thank goodness AMEX pays for that. I really have to get all the rest in just two 25" bags, which causes wrinkling no matter what you do. I am surprised that Cunard does not include dry cleaning and laundry in QG like HAL does in their suites. I guess that all of the dress clothes will go out the first day for pressing. We really don't want to spend our vacation time doing that!

1 hour ago, Stella1250 said:

The only problem I have with all of these great ideas is space. We are packing for 15 days, including a stay in Hamburg before our cruise. As it is, we will need an extra suitcase which is a garment bag. On an international flight, that costs us $100.00 each way. Thank goodness AMEX pays for that. I really have to get all the rest in just two 25" bags, which causes wrinkling no matter what you do. I am surprised that Cunard does not include dry cleaning and laundry in QG like HAL does in their suites. I guess that all of the dress clothes will go out the first day for pressing. We really don't want to spend our vacation time doing that!

Why don’t you experiment with dry cleaner bags without using hangers? They take up no room and you might be pleasantly surprised. 

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 4:02 PM, newcruise said:

I have been packing in dry cleaner plastic bags for years and never have wrinkles. My husband does, too. He even packs 6-8 shirts together, leaving them on hangers then inserting them inside a dry cleaner bag - easy to hang and wrinkle free. I usually combine my formal gowns together, on hangers, and similarly insert them into long dry cleaner bags.

I'm really sorry, I'm from the UK and have no idea what dry cleaner plastic bags are!! Are they like our plastic suit bags? Can someone enlighten me please? Many thanks.

46 minutes ago, Curly locks said:

I'm really sorry, I'm from the UK and have no idea what dry cleaner plastic bags are!! Are they like our plastic suit bags? Can someone enlighten me please? Many thanks.

Dry cleaner plastic bags are thin clear plastic bags that most dry cleaners in the US use to cover and protect the cleaned garments. When we pick up our garments from the cleaners, we take them home enclosed in those bags. As a result, we tend to have a supply of them left over to put our garments in when we pack them. I often leave my suits in those bags when I hang them in the closet until the next time I wear them, so sometimes my suits go straight into my luggage already in those bags.

Here are a couple images I found on "uline.com".

S-5859.jpg S-5858.jpg

And here are links to the full product pages on "uline.com" for further details.

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5859/Apparel-Bags/Garment-Bags-6-Mil-21-x-4-x-54-Clear

https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-5858/Apparel-Bags/Garment-Bags-6-Mil-21-x-4-x-38-Clear

Edited by bluemarble