What to do in Miami to kill three hours

cruiselover48

So we had it all planned and Royal changed the tour guide lines. We were going to do the Hop on Hop off bus with drop off at MIA. First American changed our departure time to 1:40 and then Royal changed the time of departure required from two to three. Now we don't know what we can do with our luggage and what we can do with our selfs for three hours. Best layed plans. Looks like we will have to spend our time at the airport. No other excursions available:confused:

At the MIA Airport, the top floor of the airport has an open pool deck. You can have a nice lunch and a couple cocktails up there (awesome black bean soup!) .. while watching the planes come and go. Plenty of shade too and nice breeze.

Far nicer than sitting in that dumpy low ceilinged mess of a terminal building downstairs.

That's what I'd do!

Airlines are doing that a lot and Royal's post cruise times seem arbitrary as well. I might go to Guest services and ask for the last departure time which after customs might put you to 10:30 leaving the port and less time at the airport. Or maybe you could get off early and do early check in of your bags and taxi out somewhere? Good luck.

The last time I did a post cruise excursion in Miami, Royal said you flight had to leave 4pm or later. The excursion had us at the airport at 1pm.

So we had it all planned and Royal changed the tour guide lines. We were going to do the Hop on Hop off bus with drop off at MIA. First American changed our departure time to 1:40 and then Royal changed the time of departure required from two to three. Now we don't know what we can do with our luggage and what we can do with our selfs for three hours. Best layed plans. Looks like we will have to spend our time at the airport. No other excursions available:confused:

Your going to need 2 or 3 hours to check in for your flight. If it's a major cruise day . Check in and security could have long lines.

I would be in the last group off the ship.

Why rush like others? Just enjoy.

I would then head over to the Miami Airport.

AA is in a terrific terminal with lots of terrific restaurants. Just enjoy a nice meal.

If you don't have TSA Pre Check lines will be long.

Keith

At the MIA Airport, the top floor of the airport has an open pool deck. You can have a nice lunch and a couple cocktails up there (awesome black bean soup!) .. while watching the planes come and go. Plenty of shade too and nice breeze.

Far nicer than sitting in that dumpy low ceilinged mess of a terminal building downstairs.

That's what I'd do!

The airport has a pool and bar? Could you be more specific.

Do you have an AMEX platinum by any chance? There is a Centurion Lounge in the American Airlines terminal with free food, drinks, and massages.

unless I am mistaken

the aiport HOTEL has a roof top pool and bar ... and you may be able to get a day room rate .....

I know the airport hotel does this in orlando (day rate) ..... dunno about Miami ... that would be new info for me .....

unless I am mistaken

the aiport HOTEL has a roof top pool and bar ... and you may be able to get a day room rate .....

I know the airport hotel does this in orlando (day rate) ..... dunno about Miami ... that would be new info for me .....

Maybe the idea is to kill 3 hours looking for the rooftop pool at MIA?

Uber to South Beach, pay to store your bags at the luggage lounge, and then explore, people watch, grab an early lunch, drinks, etc. Collect your bags and head to MIA via either Uber/Lyft or ride the Airport Flyer bus for about $3 each.

I don't know about luggage storage but assuming you can figure that out you can just take an Uber to a near by place like Lincoln Road, South Beach area or Downtown.

Another option is to try to be last off the ship and just head to the airport. American has a massive terminal with tons of shops a good selection of places to eat. My favorite, even though it is not sit down, is La Carreta. Good Cuban food at good prices. There are some interesting shops too like the Brito store and Miami Heat store.

If you have an Amex Platinum Card the Centurion lounge is free. If you have an Amex there is a charge.

As others have said if its a busy port day MIA will be packed in the early afternoon late morning.

I thought the airport hotel got rid of the pool years ago?

I checked the web site and it appears you are correct ...

web site does not mention a pool inside or outside under "amenities" ..

also looked at the Google earth view and don't see anything like a pool on the roof ....

they DO mention day rates tho ....

I believe ORLANDO still has a roof pool .....

I'll second LaCaretta in the airport ...... this is where many of the workers eat ... good authentic Cuban at decent price.

whenever I have a layover, this is where I go .....

I checked the web site and it appears you are correct ...

web site does not mention a pool inside or outside under "amenities" ..

also looked at the Google earth view and don't see anything like a pool on the roof ....

they DO mention day rates tho ....

I believe ORLANDO still has a roof pool .....

I'll second LaCaretta in the airport ...... this is where many of the workers eat ... good authentic Cuban at decent price.

whenever I have a layover, this is where I go .....

Yes, that Hyatt definitely has a pool!