Magic or Sunshine

tmg698

Trying to pick a cruise between the 2 ships. I have been on the Magic once but not the Sunshine. The 2 cruises are almost the same as far as price so that is not a factor. Both leave from PC in May 2018.

Magic 7 nights-Amber Cove, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk

Sunshine 8 nights-Grand Turk, St Maarten, San Juan, St Kitts

1 new port on each cruise for us. Only my husband & I no kids.

I love St Maarten & St. Thomas (hard to choose)

Never been to St Kitts or Amber Cove.

I liked Magic fine but wonder if I should try Sunshine but not sure because of what people say about the small lounge and comedy club, because we enjoy both of these on cruises.

Advise needed

As someone who has sailed both and who is an advocate of always going for the longer vacation...

RUN, don't walk, far away from the Sunshine and jump on the Magic. Please. An extra day isn't worth it if its on the Sunshine. By the end of my vacation I could not possibly get off that ship fast enough.

As someone who has sailed both and who is an advocate of always going for the longer vacation...

RUN, don't walk, far away from the Sunshine and jump on the Magic. Please. An extra day isn't worth it if its on the Sunshine. By the end of my vacation I could not possibly get off that ship fast enough.

Well, there you go icon14.gif

I've heard people say that ship is horrible since the configuration. What's so bad about it?

It is mostly the same config as Conquest class ships. Most of the people who bash it have never sailed on it. I have sailed both twice and would not choose one over the other in regards to the ship. The Sunshine has many unique features (Serenity, Havana areas among them) and a lot of what they piloted on the Sunshine was then done on the Vista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by jimbo5544

Although the Magic hits Amber Cove (my favorite port) and has a large comedy club, the extra night and stops in st maarten&thomas (2 more of my favorites) would sway me towards the Sunshine. Yes the comedy club is small, but the serenity are is arguably the best in the fleet.

I have also been on both. As far as which one to choose, it depends on what you like or dislike. I really liked the Magic, but I had always wanted to try the Sunshine. Since it's just you and your husband, you might want to try the Sunshine; however, if crowds bother you this is probably not the ship for you.

I liked the Sunshine and I'm glad I sailed on her - the Serenity was beautiful, the Havana bar area was very nice. The only super crowded area was the outside decks when the ship was moving - on sea days literally impossible to get two deck chairs together after 9:00 - the Serenity is filled to capacity anytime the ship is moving (coming in to port/leaving port/sea days). I've been on a whole bunch of CCL cruises and I love the product, but the Sunshine decks were, by far, the most crowded I have experienced.

If you go in knowing this and if laying around on deck isn't really that big of a deal for you, then I think you would love the Sunshine. I personally preferred the Magic - but I'm glad I experienced the Sunshine.

We sailed on Sunshine twice this past year and are leaving on Magic next month for the fist time.

We read all of the complaints about Sunshine prior to our first time out and did not experience any of it. Compared to the other lines we sail on ALL Carnival ships feel more crowded. The only traffic-flow problem is getting from Blue Iguana into the buffet area where you pretty much have to enter single file. Big deal. How many times a day will that come up? Yes, the main theater is smaller, but over the course of our two cruises it was never more than 3/4 full, so again, what is the big deal? Loved the larger Serenity area with its own pool and waterfall. Also loved the huge variety of food options.

It is mostly the same config as Conquest class ships. Most of the people who bash it have never sailed on it. I have sailed both twice and would not choose one over the other in regards to the ship. The Sunshine has many unique features (Serenity, Havana areas among them) and a lot of what they piloted on the Sunshine was then done on the Vista.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The much smaller comedy club compared to either Conquest or Dream class rules out the Sunshine for us. Besides after getting used to frig in cabin why would be sail without one/

The Magic was our cruise virgin ship and will always have a special place in our hearts for that. Our last cruise was on the Sunshine, I enjoyed it and my my wife hated it. She couldn't give me a specific reason other than it wasn't the Magic. I was just happy to not be at work and to just be on the water.

Haven't been on the Magic - but have sailed the Sunshine - and many other Carnival ships. We enjoyed the Sunshine and will sail again in a couple of weeks. I really loved the Serenity area and the Havana area. It may have been the cruise itself (it was a Canadian cruise) I did not find any issues with over-crowding - I will have to get back to you for the Caribbean one :)

Carnival increased the passenger capacity but decreased the outdoor Lido area when they converted theDestiny to the Sunshine. The Havana Bar used to be the aft pool area. So that explains the overcrowding by the pool area on sea days.

Actually, while they did put the Havana area where the aft pool was they also added the waterpark aft which will occupy the kids (and some of the adults.

Sent from my iPhone

St. Kitts is an island that's not listed on a lot of itineraries, and still is yet to reach its full potential. The people and sites there are great, so just looking at the ports without considering the ship, which I do sometimes when booking, the Sunshine may be a viable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums