Upcoming Roatan port itineraries canceled on your cruise?

mickeychicky

Since the dock is damaged and will NOT be completely repaired for at least 3 months, the dock cannot accommodate ships larger than 205 Meters (672 ft). Port is offering tendering services but has anyone, going with NCL soon, been notified yet IF you will or will NOT be stopping?

I haven't received an email and there is nothing on their website about canceling the Roatan stop or not, and nothing when I log into MY NCL.

Hate to get onboard and be notified THEN that we won't be going. Have plans outside the cruise ship excursions so I'd like to know ahead of time to cancel my reservations.

"Derived from the damages caused to the cruise ship dock "PORTOF ROATAN" caused by the impact of the ship MSC. ARMONIA, the port will continue its operations with certain limitations. The cleaning and reconstruction efforts have not yet begun, as we continue to wait for the work required by the international evaluating experts to complete and provide a diagnosis. In principle, the port authorities estimate that the damage can reach more than 10 million dollars. No damage has been detected in the western part or the central part of the pier, which allows the arrival of smaller vessels, however, on the east side there are approximately 35 meters destroyed, the port being limited to much smaller vessels. received with its total 205 meters. The impact is significant in the original capacity for which there are cancellations of arrivals which are being confirmed. In the case of the MV Allure of the Seas of the Royal Caribbean company, which was scheduled to arrive on May 10 for the first time to Roatan, it has canceled, which is considered the second largest ship in the world, with more than 6000 passengers, the Allure would be withdrawing Roatan from his itinerary this season. Once the evaluation works are completed, the debris removal and reconstruction of the damaged structures will begin, which are scheduled to take approximately three months. This period will be subject to the facilities that the authorities grant us for the reconstruction, which up to now have given us all their collaboration. The ability of the company to obtain the necessary equipment in a timely manner is vital. The Priority at this time is to reconstruct the damage caused by the incident, however, having made all the effort to bring machinery and equipment it is vital to be able to start the second berth position so that they will be making arrangements with the Central Government to expedite the requirements. The commitment to develop the second phase, which includes a second dock and recreational offer, still stands, but always depending on the support of the authorities in streamlining the required processes, which will allow us to optimize resources as a company, but more importantly, decrease the economic impacts of the same incident that economically affects thousands of inhabitants of Roatan that benefit from the cruise industry"

Port of Roatan news releases.

Hate to get onboard and be notified THEN that we won't be going. Have plans outside the cruise ship excursions so I'd like to know ahead of time to cancel my reservations.

Since you are probably at 100% cancellation penalty, what will you do if they cancel the port?

Since you are probably at 100% cancellation penalty, what will you do if they cancel the port?

Can't really do anything I suppose but sit on the ship for a third sea day and hopefully get refunded port fees for that stop.

Still crossing my fingers they will tender us in.

Norwegian Pearl made an emergency stop there @ 2am this morning so the dock "can accommodate" in an emergency situation. But the liability for regular stops is the issue. Don't think anyone onboard the Pearl got off the boat so the liability wasn't an issue there.

NCL says "you are scheduled to stop as planned" but we know how much info is passed along to those answering the phones.

Can't really do anything I suppose but sit on the ship for a third sea day and hopefully get refunded port fees for that stop.

Still crossing my fingers they will tender us in.

Norwegian Pearl made an emergency stop there @ 2am this morning so the dock "can accommodate" in an emergency situation. But the liability for regular stops is the issue. Don't think anyone onboard the Pearl got off the boat so the liability wasn't an issue there.

NCL says "you are scheduled to stop as planned" but we know how much info is passed along to those answering the phones.

As I read the report, smaller ships like The Pearl, they should be able to handle. The problem is trying to dock the "Mega" ships like The Getaway. Yesterday The Getaway docked in Belize City. Do not know what they will do in the upcoming weeks.

My thought would be, if you have a excursion scheduled not through Norwegian, check directly with your tour operator and see what they say. They should have a much better idea, than a Customer Service person from a Call Center- reading their computer screen (may or may not have up to date information).

NCL Pearl is 965 feet...their press release says maximum 205 meters which converts to 672 feet if google is correct.

We are already stopping in Harvest Caye so I would hate to also stop in Belize City because we went there once before and that was the worst waste of a stop that we did.

Our excursions are never thru the cruise ships. Don't feel like we get our $$'s worth with those.

I know Getaway went to Belize City instead this week. Not sure what will happen. I still wonder if tendering is an option but might be too many to do that. I'm on the Getaway departing May 13, so I will be very interested in what Getaway does the next two weeks.

As I read the report, smaller ships like The Pearl, they should be able to handle. The problem is trying to dock the "Mega" ships like The Getaway. Yesterday The Getaway docked in Belize City. Do not know what they will do in the upcoming weeks.

My thought would be, if you have a excursion scheduled not through Norwegian, check directly with your tour operator and see what they say. They should have a much better idea, than a Customer Service person from a Call Center- reading their computer screen (may or may not have up to date information).

Docked in Belize City? Are you sure? I didn’t think Belize City had any docking accommodations due to the surrounding reefs. We’ve tendered every trip to Belize City.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We're on Getaway May 6. Kind of a downer right now thinking we won't be stopping. I've been waiting 2 years to go back to Roatan and finally booked it. I hesitated because of the thought of driving to Miami but did it anyway and now the possibility of not even being able to go back on THIS cruise, really sucks. Outta my control, but I'm not even really excited about my vacation anymore because I was looking forward to my trip to Little French Key.

NCL said they will be notifying cruisers via email if they cancel this stop so that should be starting this week for those that are cruising next week and beyond. :')

I leave this Sunday and have yet to get any word from NCL via website account email or direct email. I'm sure they are still weighing their options.

I will not be happy if we go to Belize City like this weeks. I assume they were still assessing damage this week with crews and port staff so that makes sense why they went here this week. But Belize City is a tender port, so hopefully they just do the same at Roatan. Not a great solution but would prefer that over another sea day or Belize City.

We're the only ship in port that day from what I can see, so Tendering would be the port's only focus. Crossing my fingers.

We're on Getaway May 6. Kind of a downer right now thinking we won't be stopping. I've been waiting 2 years to go back to Roatan and finally booked it. I hesitated because of the thought of driving to Miami but did it anyway and now the possibility of not even being able to go back on THIS cruise, really sucks. Outta my control, but I'm not even really excited about my vacation anymore because I was looking forward to my trip to Little French Key.

NCL said they will be notifying cruisers via email if they cancel this stop so that should be starting this week for those that are cruising next week and beyond. :')

If you love Roatan, why not book at week at an AI sometime. We spent a week at Infinity Bay resort in December 2016, and it is my number one favourite vacation of all time. There simply aren't words for how wonderful it was. Then you'd have a whole week in Roatan! I realize it doesn't help you with your current vacation, but food for thought for the future!

Why can't they just tender? Seems crazy that they might cancel a port when tendering is an option.

We don't know up to what size ship they can / will tender. That's the question. Time constraints, number of tenders available, etc.

NCL cancelled a port in Tunisia just before a scheduled cruise (totally justified, Tunisia was refusing to allow certain passengers to disembark holding certain passports). We had a shore excursion booked with “Tours by Locals”, I believe. There was not a single issue as the port was cancelled due to “force majure” (poss. spelled wrong), basically due to circumstances beyond our control. It is my understanding that no legit tour company will hold you responsible for cancellations in that circumstance. Very unfortunate for Roatan.

Nevermind

Edited by maggie cruises

Docked in Belize City? Are you sure? I didn’t think Belize City had any docking accommodations due to the surrounding reefs. We’ve tendered every trip to Belize City.

Ships going to Belize tender in. Or, at least they used to. I am guessing they still do.

I'm in the same situation, but if the ship does not go to the port for any reason, all money is refunded. But it would be nice to cancel earlier than later as it gives them time to find another customer.

I sure hope MSC is held liable for the damage to the port and their economy.

We don't know up to what size ship they can / will tender. That's the question. Time constraints, number of tenders available, etc.

The tenders are on the ship. All ships tender at some ports dependant on itinerary. I don't see why there would be an issue tendering at any port that the dock wasn't available.

The tenders are on the ship. All ships tender at some ports dependant on itinerary. I don't see why there would be an issue tendering at any port that the dock wasn't available.

On our Dawn W. Caribbean cruise February 2018 we tendered in to Roatan as there was RC shipped docked when we arrived.

The lifeboats are the tenders.

It was very short ride and the least annoying tender ride we have done .

I just got off Getaway - we are at the airport as I type. We did tender in to Belize City tours - they scrambled together about 8 tours in the 12 hours they had to get it done. We did an island beach break at Starfish Island that was perfect for us - nobody was there but us in the morning- but I have to say, I don't like tendering.

We heard one if the bartenders say that you can't tender in to Roatan - not sure how factual that is.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app