Need Help With Canada & New England MUST DO Excursions

MsSoCalCruiser

I have some friends that are going on a 10 night Canada & New England cruise that leaves from New York City with stops in Newport/Rhode Island, Boston, St. John/New Brunswick, Halifax, Sydney/Nova Scotia, Charlottetown and overnights in Quebec city.

They have no idea on which excursions to book and since they are always listening to me talk about how wonderful this community is, they asked if I could ask the expert's (that would be you) what their favorite, not to be missed, excursions are. Also, if you have any that you think should be avoided please share that too.

Thanks so much in advance!

This is such a great itinerary that there are so many excursions that one can do. I have done it 2x and there are still things I want to see!

I did the hop on hop off trolley on our own in Boston and I would not recommend that. There were very long lines getting back on the trolley that we often had to wait for more trolleys, and due to traffic, it made me worry about getting back to the ship in time. We did the Lexington/Concord tour in Boston and I wasn't sure what to expect and was impressed with how much we saw and how impressive it was. I think the Freedom Trail would be worthy also as I have seen that before.

I like Peggy's Cove in Halifax - it is touristy but I love lighthouses and find it quite scenic. Though this doesn't take all day. We did a private tour and included this with other things.

Newport has a lot of Mansions that are really pretty cool. Breakers is one that is worth seeing but they are all. There is also a Cliff Walk that is a nice way to be outside after a tour of Mansions and walk along the sea wall and behind the mansions. There are often tours that do 2 mansions.

Acadia Park in Bar Harbor (you may not go there)....

So much to do, so much to see there. Lots of choices. Great itinerary!

In my opinion, the Freedom Trail is a must. Also, I suggest you go see Peggy's Cove, which is a very lovely place. If you are a hockey fan, the Nova Scotia sport (no s) museum is fun in Halifax (you get to see Crosby's famous dryer). We couldn't get up to Cape Breton the first time we took a similar cruise, but got there the second time. The (Alexander Graham) Bell museum is fascinating. We thought that was a real hidden gem.

Ohiodoglover

You may wish to check your roll call to see what others are doing. Find it under the roll call section, your ship's name and date. There are often passengers on the roll cal that have done lots of research into shore excursions.

A few ideas:

Newport- the mansions, the cliff walk trail

Halifax - there is a nice sea front walk starting right at the pier with shops and restaurants

Boston - walk the freedom trail

I've done this itinerary twice on other lines. In both cases, I rented a car and explored as it was an affordable option with the rental agencies close to the port.

My favorite was St. John's and going to sea the tide changes.

My favorite itinerary! If walking isn't an issue then the Freedom Trail is great. Faneuil Hall is a great place to grab lunch. Lots of choices and all quick and yummy!

In Sydney we went to the fort. We rented a car and went on our own, but there was a ship tour. They had period actors all around that would talk about what they did and would answer your questions. Really loved it!

Newport- The mansions for sure

Charlottetown- We did the Anne of Green Gables tour.

Quebec- We docked right in town. My husband planned the day and all I remember is we walked up a lot of stairs. I recommend taking a taxi to somewhere up the hill and then walk down. Old Quebec is very cool

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G928A using Forums mobile app

Boston: Ride the Swan Boats. Best $3.50 you'll ever spend. https://swanboats.com/take-a-ride/ Read "Make Way for Ducklings" and walk part of the ducklings route, which ends up at the lagoon in the Public Garden where the Swan Boats are. You'll also be near the Esplanade on the Charles River and Cheers (photo op no food). Freedom Trail is nice. There is also a Black History Trail that is interesting. Of course if you like baseball take a tour of Fenway Park. The city is easy to get around by public transportation (called the T). The Silver Line (a bus) leaves the Black Falcon Terminal and takes you to South Station. www.mbta.com. Boston is a easy city to walk around. Enjoy!

Halifax has a wonderful Immigration Museum at Pier 21. Well worth a visit. You can also walk the boardwalk along the harbor to the Maritime Museum. Among lots of interesting exhibits they have one about the Titanic and also one about the explosion in Halifax harbor during WW One. Boston was the first to send substantial aid and every year Halifax sends Boston a Christmas tree as thanks. Very moving. We missed the Citadel because it was so foggy we couldn't see how to get there (up hill from the pier). We'll just have to go back ;-)

Boston: Ride the Swan Boats. Best $3.50 you'll ever spend. https://swanboats.com/take-a-ride/ Read "Make Way for Ducklings" and walk part of the ducklings route, which ends up at the lagoon in the Public Garden where the Swan Boats are. You'll also be near the Esplanade on the Charles River and Cheers (photo op no food). Freedom Trail is nice. There is also a Black History Trail that is interesting. Of course if you like baseball take a tour of Fenway Park. The city is easy to get around by public transportation (called the T). The Silver Line (a bus) leaves the Black Falcon Terminal and takes you to South Station. www.mbta.com. Boston is a easy city to walk around. Enjoy!

This is excellent advice. The Public Gardens is absolutely beautiful and the Swan Boats are not to be missed. As an aside, there is a scene in the original Parent Trap movie with the Public Gardens bridge in the background as Maureen O'Hara and Haley Mills talk.

My wife and I were on a New England cruise that stopped in Bar Harbor, ME and we went on the Lulu Lobster Boat ride and found it to be both informative and enjoyable and would highly recommend it. The gentleman who runs the show, Captain Bob as I remember, is very knowledgeable about the subject and, in fact, travels quite a bit around the world as I remember, lecturing on lobsters. I think you'd enjoy it very much. In fact, I went and looked up his website just to be able to provide it for you here! <g> https://lululobsterboat.com/

Tom

The Swan Boats are seasonal, and end sometime mid-Sept. I've missed them by one or two days the two times I started my cruise in Boston! ☹

Another great thing to visit in Boston is the USS Constitution, America's oldest ship in the fleet.

From the Princess website, The USS Constitution will be in dry dock from March 2015 – March 2018 for planned restoration.

Is the Freedom Trail an excursion or something that you do on your own?

The Trail starts about 20 min drive from the port so you can walk it on your own, as part of an excursion or with one of the free walking tour guides.

I should add that the food in this part of the world is wonderful, especially if they are seafood lovers! Clam chowder, lobster in many forms, cod and haddock, steamed clams, fried seafood, strawberry shortcake, blueberry pie --- all these are readily available in Boston, Newport, Bar Harbor and other ports. Some excursions include meals, but all stops will have good choice of restaurants, and this forum will be glad to give specific recommendations. Boston is also known for its authentic Italian food and pastries, especially in the North End (not far from Faneuil Hall) which is like a Little Italy. I know that some cruisers like to take most of their meals on ship because it's already paid for, but this is one region where you should abandon that plan.

From the Princess website, The USS Constitution will be in dry dock from March 2015 – March 2018 for planned restoration.

It is in drydock, but you can still board and tour while it's in drydock. Also, there is a museum adjacent to the ship that is worth seeing.

Is the Freedom Trail an excursion or something that you do on your own?

No need to do an excursion to walk the Freedom Trail. Start at Boston Common, you can go to the Public Garden across the street at beginning (or end if you loop back). There is an information booth by the T stop, corner of Tremont and Park Streets but all you need to do is follow the red brick path on the sidewalks. Don't miss Mike's Bakery in the North End! For those who have done the Freedom Trail before but would like to do other walking around downtown Boston, one of my favorites is Commonwealth Ave from the Public Garden west to Mass. Ave (Back Bay area). The New England Aquarium is also very good, too. We visit our daughter in Boston once a year, can you tell it's a favorite city?