Advantage to booking thru travel agent or directly with Celebrity?

Threedox

We've used our cruise travel agent for Mediterranean cruises ((Seabourne, SeaDream) and the Caribbean (Star Clippers). But I'm less inclined to do so for a cruise from Bayonne, NJ (we live in NJ) to Bermuda (where we've traveled to by air several times) on the Celebrity Summit. Any thoughts? I was planning to do my own research on room types/deck, etc and then request specific rooms (and category--I'd like the aqua class perks). Also, how far in advance do we need to book for a late May sailing in order to secure a good aqua class room? (I have health issues, so I'm reluctant to book until closer to the sail date, and I don't qualify for trip insurance because of 60-day prior to trip predicting illness.) Any advice is appreciated. TIA.

Edited by Threedox

We've used our cruise travel agent for Mediterranean cruises ((Seabourne, SeaDream) and the Caribbean (Star Clippers). But I'm less inclined to do so for a cruise from Bayonne, NJ (we live in NJ) to Bermuda (where we've traveled to by air several times) on the Celebrity Summit. Any thoughts? I was planning to do my own research on room types/deck, etc and then request specific rooms (and category--I'd like the aqua class perks). Also, how far in advance do we need to book for a late May sailing in order to secure a good aqua class room? (I have health issues, so I'm reluctant to book until closer to the sail date, and I don't qualify for trip insurance because of 60-day prior to trip preexisting illness.) Any advice is appreciated. TIA.

Given your health concerns, I would suggest you wait until after final payment to purchase the cruise. You might have better choice of rooms now, but the risk of loosing your money if you can't insure the trip is a factor. You may have some discounted pricing after final payment, and you will hopefully have a better idea of your health situation as it gets closer to the sail date. I wish you improved health in the new year.

Given your health concerns, I would suggest you wait until after final payment to purchase the cruise. You might have better choice of rooms now, but the risk of loosing your money if you can't insure the trip is a factor. You may have some discounted pricing after final payment, and you will hopefully have a better idea of your health situation as it gets closer to the sail date. I wish you improved health in the new year.

Good advice. Thank you!

The main advantage to booking with a travel agent is getting any additional perks they may give you, most often extra OBC to spend during the cruise. You can still do all the research and just give the agent the info to complete the booking. They would need to interact with Celebrity about any changes from that point forward.

The advantage to booking directly with Celebrity is that you can call them directly with questions or changes to your reservation, though you won't be able to do many changes if you're booking after final payment anyway.

If you were to book outside the final payment window, you could even book directly with Celebrity and transfer the reservation to a TA.

What you want to do is up to personal preference.

The main advantage to booking with a travel agent is getting any additional perks they may give you, most often extra OBC to spend during the cruise. You can still do all the research and just give the agent the info to complete the booking. They would need to interact with Celebrity about any changes from that point forward.

The advantage to booking directly with Celebrity is that you can call them directly with questions or changes to your reservation, though you won't be able to do many changes if you're booking after final payment anyway.

If you were to book outside the final payment window, you could even book directly with Celebrity and transfer the reservation to a TA.

What you want to do is up to personal preference.

Good info. Thank you!

I like to be in control of my booking so I only book with Celebrity. You can book now with a better choice of cabins (you didn't say what year you want to cruise) and cancel with no penalty before final payment, or wait until after final payment wilt little cabin choices but possibly a lower rate. Final payment for late May 2018 will be late February 2018. Check out the cruise now and see what Aqua cabins are still available.

I love my TA, She is local about 5 minutes driving for home, They have permission from Celebrity to sell their products, and all charges to the card are made directly by Celebrity. The price is the same, they only receive their commission for the work done. TA Perks are a gift.

The other reason is that I do not like to be waiting on the phone to be seen.

If you purchase the travel lnsurance within 14 days (might be 21 days) of making your booking, the "pre-existing conditions" is waived.....you would be fully covered for something even if it occurred the day prior to your booking the cruise and insurance.

I have been unable to find a single reason to book directly with Celebrity. A TA gives better service and generally gives you additional perks on top of whatever Celebrity is offering at the time. They can sell you Celebrity Travel insurance...or perhaps offer their own....but I'd suggest that for travel insurance, you use insuremytrip or squaremouth. You can call them, even before booking to check on the pre-existing condition situation.

Why would you have any less control by booking thru a TA rather than direct? I find most TAs are far more helpful than any Celebrity agent I've talked too. I've changed cabins, dining arraignments, upgraded drink packages etc all thru my online TA without any problems.

Why would you have any less control by booking thru a TA rather than direct? I find most TAs are far more helpful than any Celebrity agent I've talked too. I've changed cabins, dining arraignments, upgraded drink packages etc all thru my online TA without any problems.

I've done the same on the X site with no issues. However, we'll be 0n Silhouette March, 2018, and intend to book a 2019 cruise on board. We'll get the best deal we can then transfer to a TA and see if it has any effect.

ThreeDox,

There are travel agencies that sell 3rd party travel protection insurance that will cover pre-existing conditions if you purchase it with-in 7 days of making the booking with no 60 day look-back. Your are covered from day one. I do this all the time!

Always book with a travel agent, and if you agent doesn't have such a policy find one who does.

Also, always book with good travel agent. There is no disadvantage, and many times they have access to group rates or amenities or promo's that are not available directly through the cruise lines. You just want to make sure that you book with a service oriented agency that will not charge you any kind of extra booking or cancellation fee other than the what the cruise lines charge.

Feel free to contact me if you need some help.

The online TA I usually use typically offers more perks that going direct thru Celebrity. I often book onboard, then switch picking up one or two extra perks and maybe even some OBC.

We've used our cruise travel agent for Mediterranean cruises ((Seabourne, SeaDream) and the Caribbean (Star Clippers). But I'm less inclined to do so for a cruise from Bayonne, NJ (we live in NJ) to Bermuda (where we've traveled to by air several times) on the Celebrity Summit. Any thoughts? I was planning to do my own research on room types/deck, etc and then request specific rooms (and category--I'd like the aqua class perks). Also, how far in advance do we need to book for a late May sailing in order to secure a good aqua class room? (I have health issues, so I'm reluctant to book until closer to the sail date, and I don't qualify for trip insurance because of 60-day prior to trip predicting illness.) Any advice is appreciated. TIA.

Be careful as May sailings are quite popular and sell out fast. I have booked with Celebrity and then transferred over to a private agency and always get extra perks.

If you purchase the travel lnsurance within 14 days (might be 21 days) of making your booking, the "pre-existing conditions" is waived.....you would be fully covered for something even if it occurred the day prior to your booking the cruise and insurance.

I've never seen this waiver available for Celebrity Cruise Care. I just looked at the policy for my home state and it states that things are not covered for pre-existing conditions unless the waiver is applicable but nowhere does it state how to get the waiver.

For these reasons I also use InsureMyTrip and buy a policy with the waiver for pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of making my deposit. For personal reasons I also get Cancel Any Reason which like CCC will give 75% back if canceling for an uncovered reason. The policy I get is Travel Insured International Worldwide Trip Protector Plus, but the people at InsureMyTrip are very helpful and can answer your questions. I've heard good things about SquareMouth as well.

I've never seen this waiver available for Celebrity Cruise Care. I just looked at the policy for my home state and it states that things are not covered for pre-existing conditions unless the waiver is applicable but nowhere does it state how to get the waiver.

You may well be right....I never take Celebrity's insurance but I assumed they were like the rest of the companies. My error...I should know better than to assume....

OP....get your insurance through either of the sites mentioned...and you'll find that if you buy within 14-21 days (see the individual policy), they waive any pre-existing conditions. Talk to the folks at insuremytrip or squaremouth....

For these reasons I also use InsureMyTrip and buy a policy with the waiver for pre-existing conditions if purchased within 21 days of making my deposit. For personal reasons I also get Cancel Any Reason which like CCC will give 75% back if canceling for an uncovered reason. The policy I get is Travel Insured International Worldwide Trip Protector Plus, but the people at InsureMyTrip are very helpful and can answer your questions. I've heard good things about SquareMouth as well.

Very helpful thank you. I will look into these policies.

I use a TA that initially helped me with my first Disney vacation. The reason I continue to use her is that I like knowing that someone’s career is being benefited by me going on vacation. Maybe that sounds silly, but I know a lot of people depend on the little bit they get with each booking, so I like knowing I can do that.

Now, me personally, I check rates on a daily basis to see if they drop at all. However, that is something a TA will do. They also advise you about any perks or upgrades available. My TA, and I think most TA’s, also send a gift when you’ve paid your balance. Usually it’s an onboard credit or something small, but still.

The TA will also have knowledge of the ships, so they’ll be able to work with you on what you want, whereas the cruise line is just gonna throw you in any cabin available. The TA also sets it all up and you don’t have to deal with it again...so in the end, there really is no downside to booking through them.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use a travel agent but twice on my upcoming cruise I found the room I initially wanted to book, available - travel agent is closed at 8:00 p.m. or a Sunday both times and therefore by the following morning when I contacted my TA, the cabin had been taken. That has been my only downside of using a TA. You have to decide if the extra perks with a TA is worth it.

Now, me personally, I check rates on a daily basis to see if they drop at all. However, that is something a TA will do.

Most TAs do not automatically track prices. Really good ones might but it shouldn't be an expectation.

I use a travel agent but twice on my upcoming cruise I found the room I initially wanted to book, available - travel agent is closed at 8:00 p.m. or a Sunday both times and therefore by the following morning when I contacted my TA, the cabin had been taken. That has been my only downside of using a TA. You have to decide if the extra perks with a TA is worth it.

You can always do a booking but put a 24-hr hold on it instead of paying for it. The TA can then work to make the change when they're open.