Club Or Freedom Dining

RobFran

We are first time cruisers, looking to book a 7 day cruise to the Norwegian Fjords on the Britannia next year.

We are unsure whether to book Club or Freedom dining. The flexibility of Freedom Dining certainly appeals to us, but not having cruised before would be grateful if someone could supply us with the pros and cons of each.

You will get varying replies depending on the posters preference, we like the flexibility that freedom gives, and we are always happy to share a table so we get to meet new table mates daily. Plus if you really do fancy a table for 2 then they are more accessible on freedom, but you might need to take a pager and wait.

Hi

Having tried both we prefer Club Dining. We like having the same table each night with the same waiters and same table companions, (or table for 2 if you book early enough and that is your preference).. It means you can progress from the introductory 'where are you from' 'have you cruised before' conversations -and really get to know each other over the duration of the cruise. You also develop some good banter with the waiters. On Freedom Dining - if you share with others, every night seems to be like a first night in terms of conversations round the table. Club Dining times are geared such that you will finish dinner and still have about half hour to get to the show. If you are on Freedom and have to wait for a table (especially if you want a table for two and get given a pager)-getting to the show on time can be a bit hit and miss. On Freedom dining there are times that are more popular than others -so if you want a 7.30pm to 8pm slot - then be prepared to stand in a queue. With Club you know exactly what time you will be going in and can structure your evening accordingly. These points and differences will be more important on longer cruises. With a 7 night cruise it is not as important -particularly if you plan to try the select dining restaurants on a couple of nights. It really is each to his own -and there are strong supporters of both dining types. These are just my own opinions and preferences. Whatever you decide to do -enjoy!

We are first time cruisers, looking to book a 7 day cruise to the Norwegian Fjords on the Britannia next year.

We are unsure whether to book Club or Freedom dining. The flexibility of Freedom Dining certainly appeals to us, but not having cruised before would be grateful if someone could supply us with the pros and cons of each.

We have done both options (around half a dozen times each) and now always opt for freedom dining. I shall cover both with pros and cons as you requested;

Club dining - Pros - You go straight to your table at a set time (no waits or pagers). You have the same waiters every night, which means that you usually get to know them and they get to know your preferences. If you get on well with your fellow diners, you can enjoy their company for the whole cruise. The entertainment schedule tends to fit around Club dining times.

Club dining - Cons - If you get dining companions who you don't strike up a good rapport with or are just hard to make conversation with, you are stuck with them for the whole cruise. You can ask to be moved, but I would be worried about seeing them again and being asked about it! First sitting is too early if you have had a full day ashore or like to enjoy sailways and watching the port disappear into the distance over a drink (especially if it's a formal night). Second sitting is a bit late and you only get to see the latest shows and are often rushing for them. If you don't get a good table Location or waiters, you are stuck with them. Most importantly, whilst you can state a preference for table size it is never guaranteed, however early you book. You can request a table for two and be put on a table for eight - and you won't know until you board.

Freedom dining - Pros - You can dine whenever you want, to fit around port departures, how tired you are, how hungry you are, what mood you are in, which entertainment you wish to watch. You can select table size depending on whether you want to dine alone or with others. You get to meet lots of interesting people and hear about lots of people's experiences and pick up loads of hot tips. Although technically random, you can request locations within the dining room that you prefer (get to know the managers who greet you - it pays!).

Freedom Dining - Cons - There is often a wait (with a pager) if you want to dine alone and go at peak times (roughly 7-8). The wait is usually less time than they tell you, but wouldn't suit some people. If you are prepared to share a table we have always been seated immediately, whenever we go (usually at peak times).

We made the switch to freedom Dining having had a couple of cruises in a row where we had table companions who were hard work and dinner became a chore rather than a pleasure. On Aurora in May we had different dining companions on each of the 16 nights and enjoyed every meal. We also made a number of friends as a result of this and found ourselves chatting around the ship or ashore with past dining companions. It creates a real community feel.

Finally, I would say that your choice of a first cruise is excellent. The Fjords are the best 7 day round trip cruise from Southampton (very different to UK, incredibly scenic and relaxing, Norway is beautiful and lacks the congestion that we seem to be blighted with almost everywhere at home nowadays) and Britannia is a fabulous ship (modern and high quality furnishings, best choice of dining and entertainment options). 7 days also feels like a proper cruise as it feels longer than a week when you are onboard and service levels are high, unlike shorter ones where the staff can sometimes treat it like a holiday as well! I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Selbourne has put across the pros & cons very well. We have quite a few cruises both on Club dining & Freedom dining with a table for two but now will only do Freedom dining.

For us dinner at night we hope takes about 1& half- 2 hours...any longer than that doesn't suit us. Once on club dining...second sitting... on a table of 8 it took well over 2 & half hours...going on for 3. Two of the couples were sending everything back and re ordering so consequently the whole table had to wait until everyone was ready to have the next course. After that evening we went to the buffet and on future cruises always book Freedom dining with a table for two.

We always opt for freedom dining. As mentioned you can chose when you want to eat and have the freedom to fit in with port visits, entertainment etc... We always ask for a table for two and invariably have a paiger for dinner. There is usually a seismic surge from one side of the ship to the other from the fixed dining to the shows which we usually try to avoid.The tables for two are often in a group of three and sometimes you can have lovely, entertaining people next door, other times not so it gives you the option to converse or not! The breakfast in freedom dining is a lovely civilised affair.

For us dinner at night we hope takes about 1& half- 2 hours...any longer than that doesn't suit us. Once on club dining...second sitting... on a table of 8 it took well over 2 & half hours...going on for 3. Two of the couples were sending everything back and re ordering so consequently the whole table had to wait until everyone was ready to have the next course. After that evening we went to the buffet and on future cruises always book Freedom dining with a table for two.

What a nightmare! That would ruin dinner for me. Sitting beside people like that. We had the opposite on one cruise where two couple had a main course and dessert and a soft drink. Its their choice but we do like to take a bit longer, similar to yourselves. Another time we sat at a table with a guy who had a yacht and did sailings with disabled people. We found him interesting and not a show off but the two other couples just spent the meal staring at the ceiling. We only go on Freedom now.

We have done both options (around half a dozen times each) and now always opt for freedom dining. I shall cover both with pros and cons as you requested;

Club dining - Pros - You go straight to your table at a set time (no waits or pagers). You have the same waiters every night, which means that you usually get to know them and they get to know your preferences. If you get on well with your fellow diners, you can enjoy their company for the whole cruise. The entertainment schedule tends to fit around Club dining times.

Club dining - Cons - If you get dining companions who you don't strike up a good rapport with or are just hard to make conversation with, you are stuck with them for the whole cruise. You can ask to be moved, but I would be worried about seeing them again and being asked about it! First sitting is too early if you have had a full day ashore or like to enjoy sailways and watching the port disappear into the distance over a drink (especially if it's a formal night). Second sitting is a bit late and you only get to see the latest shows and are often rushing for them. If you don't get a good table Location or waiters, you are stuck with them. Most importantly, whilst you can state a preference for table size it is never guaranteed, however early you book. You can request a table for two and be put on a table for eight - and you won't know until you board.

Freedom dining - Pros - You can dine whenever you want, to fit around port departures, how tired you are, how hungry you are, what mood you are in, which entertainment you wish to watch. You can select table size depending on whether you want to dine alone or with others. You get to meet lots of interesting people and hear about lots of people's experiences and pick up loads of hot tips. Although technically random, you can request locations within the dining room that you prefer (get to know the managers who greet you - it pays!).

Freedom Dining - Cons - There is often a wait (with a pager) if you want to dine alone and go at peak times (roughly 7-8). The wait is usually less time than they tell you, but wouldn't suit some people. If you are prepared to share a table we have always been seated immediately, whenever we go (usually at peak times).

We made the switch to freedom Dining having had a couple of cruises in a row where we had table companions who were hard work and dinner became a chore rather than a pleasure. On Aurora in May we had different dining companions on each of the 16 nights and enjoyed every meal. We also made a number of friends as a result of this and found ourselves chatting around the ship or ashore with past dining companions. It creates a real community feel.

Finally, I would say that your choice of a first cruise is excellent. The Fjords are the best 7 day round trip cruise from Southampton (very different to UK, incredibly scenic and relaxing, Norway is beautiful and lacks the congestion that we seem to be blighted with almost everywhere at home nowadays) and Britannia is a fabulous ship (modern and high quality furnishings, best choice of dining and entertainment options). 7 days also feels like a proper cruise as it feels longer than a week when you are onboard and service levels are high, unlike shorter ones where the staff can sometimes treat it like a holiday as well! I'm sure you will have a fabulous time.

Very interesting post with every possibility included.

Having cruised P&O 17 times i have experienced everything you say and anyone needing dining advise yours is the best reply i have ever read.

Thank you.

Graham.

Sent from my Kestrel using Forums mobile app

I suppose people can only say what suits them best. We've been on over 20 cruises with P&O now and opt for Club Dining, table of 8. I can truthfully say that we've never had a 'horrible table'. Of course we have had more in common with some people than others. We find that with 6 other people there is a good banter of conversation and has already been said it avoids the initial exchange of names, etc. every evening if you are on Freedom Dining - unless you opt for a table of 2 of course! We are still in touch with several people from previous cruises, one couple from our very first cruise back in 2003. We have done a back to back so 28 nights but with two different sets of 6 people as the others were only doing a 14 night cruise. There was no problem and we had lots of laughs. We have just come back from a 10 night cruise - not with P&O this time but were still on Club Dining with a table of 8, second sitting and we had a good time with interesting table companions. I can understand why people like Freedom Dining, especially people new to cruising who are worried about all sorts of things including what sort of people they might meet at dinner if they are on Club Dining. Well, I can only say it suits us. We are on a 65 night cruise next year and are on Club Dining. I daresay there will be nights when we either go to one of the Select Dining venues, or to the buffet or just have Room Service, as we will want to vary things but as we've never had a problem with Club Dining in the past I don't anticipate one this time. We've never had a problem getting to the show after the 2nd sitting, even though we've never been among the first to leave the dining room, although I admit if it's someone performing who is very popular we would leave promptly once dessert is finished in order to ensure a seat.

Most things have been covered, with merits to both choices. On a fjords cruise I would go with freedom so you can spend as long as you like admiring the sail-away scenery without restriction. Have a great trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are not only new to cruising, but also new to this site and I must say we have been overwhelmed with the comprehensive and informative responses we have received.

A huge thankyou to everyone and hopefully this will be the beginning of a new and exciting holiday experience for us.

We have debated at great length and decided on the freedom choice. I think that this option gives us flexibility on a short trip and will be a good introduction to cruising for us.

Thankyou all once again for your marvellous responses.

Our cruise this year was a last minute bargain, as a result the only option was Club dining first sitting, first time we have had fixed time dining on any line.

All other cruises have been freedom and apart from Ventura we have never had a wait, or a problem getting a smaller table.

Apart from the money we saved I have absolutely no positives to report about the experience!

6.15pm was too early, especially when one trip didn't get us back on ship until after 6pm.

It was too rushed, 90 minutes isn't long enough to enjoy the meal. No time for coffees in dining room.

The sommelier was useless, we complained, but we were stuck with him as he was in our section.

We are not only new to cruising, but also new to this site and I must say we have been overwhelmed with the comprehensive and informative responses we have received.

A huge thankyou to everyone and hopefully this will be the beginning of a new and exciting holiday experience for us.

We have debated at great length and decided on the freedom choice. I think that this option gives us flexibility on a short trip and will be a good introduction to cruising for us.

Thankyou all once again for your marvellous responses.

Great choice.

RCI D+. Princess Elite.P&O Atlantic.