Princess Alaska: Will I Get Sourced Local Fresh (Salmon, Crab, Halibut) in the MDR?

need2cruisesoon

It purchases some Alaskan fish. On our last cruise to Alaska, they had an afternoon seafood extravaganza by the pool that featured a huge fish. Two young men we met on the tour portion went fishing in Ketchikan, and the cooks prepared their salmon for them that night. Our table was near theirs, so they invited us to share their fish.

It purchases some Alaskan fish. On our last cruise to Alaska, they had an afternoon seafood extravaganza by the pool that featured a huge fish.

On our August 2012 cruise on the Coral we had that afternoon seafood buffet too. It was some of the best food we've ever had on Princess and a real highlight of our cruise. The salmon and halibut were especially incredible. We're on the Ruby this summer and hope they still do it.

If you do a search, you will see several threads of the topic. I believe the latest standard was any animal protein HAD TO be frozen.

I have seen hundreds of pounds of salmon brought on...frozen solid.

Beyond that, you need to talk season. It is not salmon or halibut season 365 days per year.

I've also read that all salmon purchased in Alaska must be locally sourced....but it never said that it couldn't be frozen. And it didn't say that the ship couldn't purchase and load elsewhere.

I have NO evidence of the accuracy of this info; only that it was something I read after the amazing salmon on our last Alaskan cruise.

On one of our cruises many years ago, we watched salmonbeing loaded in Ketchikan. That night the maitre d' announced that "we have fresh salmon tonight". That was the only time that we knew for a fact that the fish was VERY fresh.

MDR salmon likely comes from a farm. I’m hoping the farm isn’t in Kansas.:evilsmile: If you want great fresh salmon while on a Alaskan cruise, eat it while in port.

On our Princess Alaska cruise several years ago, we were told the salmon was from Alaska.

Two young men we met on the tour portion went fishing in Ketchikan, and the cooks prepared their salmon for them that night. Our table was near theirs, so they invited us to share their fish.

Princess offers that option if you are on a Princess fishing excursion. If you catch the fish on a non-Princess excursion, you cannot have it brought on board.