Carnival Veteran/Military discount

jdee90

You can receive the discount one of three ways:

Active Duty

Retired Military

OR

At least 2 years of active service

I was in the military from 1973 to 1979. I also heard of the military discount after I booked my Carnival cruise. My TA called Carnival, and all I needed was for her to fax a copy of my DD214, and they applied around a $400 discount (plus or minus a few $$).

I was concerned since my DD214 is in my maiden name, and the cruise is booked under my married name. What I did was send a copy of one of my W2 forms from a small summer job I had last year (I am a full time high school teacher now). It had my married name, but it also had my SSN on it. That SSN matched my DD214's SSN, and my TA sent both and there was no problem at all.

Also, if the military rate goes down they will adjust your bill for the new military rate.

Hopefully this helps, if not, if you go to CARNIVAL CRUISE LINE under A-O, you can find out much more info but just doing a search on military.

Ali's Mom

can this discount be applied if you already have it paid in full.

You should contact the TA you used or Carnival. They will usually give you a OBC instead of a credit, but who knows. Depends on who you booked thru what they will do too.

I just got off the phone with CCL and was told that because I was booked such a low rate, they wouldn't give up any OBC and if I wanted to upgrade cabins, I have the privelige of paying THEM. GREAT military discount in my opinion.

Don't give up so quick on the military discounts. My husband has gotten some great deals with his. Remember - not all sailings and cabins have the discount. The last time I called Carnival the rep told me which cruises had the discounts - saved a bunch of searching for the discount.

:D

I just got off the phone with CCL and was told that because I was booked such a low rate, they wouldn't give up any OBC and if I wanted to upgrade cabins, I have the privelige of paying THEM. GREAT military discount in my opinion.
Military discounts are normally only offered early after the cruise/itinerary is posted, and are capacity controlled. They are also not offered on all sailings! When you are able to book, using the MILITARY discount, you'll never say anything bad about it again! I'm using it on a sailing in three weeks and saved almost $700. off our cabin for 2! :) LOVE their 'military' discount.. And, NO, it can't be applied after final payment! Nice try, tho'...;)

Too bad all of the Carnival Corp lines don't offer the military discount to vets. :( It's a great deal and only offered on Carnival and Costa.

I just had a Military discount on Princess in February. Also got one on Glory for November Thanksgiving cruise. I am happy for whatever they offer. :D

Yo-

I just booked my first Military Discount with Carnival and saved about $400 off of the lowest fare I could find on the net-

Interesting though - only Carnival and Costa seem to recognise Veterans - the others recognise Active, Reserve and Retired military - and not all travel agencies are authorised to sell the bookings - only certain ones-

The only fly in the ointment so far is the fax number for carnival has been "out of paper" for a week - if anyone has an alternate fax number for Carnival - I would appreciate getting it-eh!

Happy Cruisin'

Mike

:D Military discounts are normally only offered early after the cruise/itinerary is posted, and are capacity controlled. They are also not offered on all sailings! When you are able to book, using the MILITARY discount, you'll never say anything bad about it again! I'm using it on a sailing in three weeks and saved almost $700. off our cabin for 2! :) LOVE their 'military' discount.. And, NO, it can't be applied after final payment! Nice try, tho'...;)

We received an OBC twice after final payment had been made on the same cruise.

Not so young grasshopper ! :eek:

When we booked our cruise, the military discount (for my father, a WWII veteran) was lower than the past guest rate and included a 4 or 5 category upgrade. As stated, it just depends on the cruise date, ship and when you book.

As with all discounts, Carnival turns these offers "on & off" frequently.

PS-Excuse the "Kung Fu" reference. No harm intended. :p

Interesting though - only Carnival and Costa seem to recognise Veterans -Mike

Mike;

RCCL also recognizes veterans. Someone posted an email they received from RCCL outlining it. I printed it out. Here is the link, hopefully it still works. Its listed under #3.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=458009

The only problem is RCCL has very few sailings they give it on. Also, I saw last week that NCL is starting to offer a discount to veterans. When I looked up a cruise, though, it was only about $14.00 cheaper!:eek:

Stlrboo:

Yes, love those discounts, but now am spoiled. DH says anything above $399 pp for a balcony is too much! :eek: Don't know if we will see that cheap again, but I keep looking. Actually, could have gotten Spirit that left on 3/15 for that amount, but had a scheduling conflict.

Also, I saw last week that NCL is starting to offer a discount to veterans. When I looked up a cruise, though, it was only about $14.00 cheaper!:eek:

We found a last minute deal on NCL last Oct......11 nights at only $55 pp a day for a balcony cabin!....it was the only really great military deal I've seen from NCL

:D Military discounts are normally only offered early after the cruise/itinerary is posted, And, NO, it can't be applied after final payment! Nice try, tho'...;)

Actually, it can be applied after final payment, i have done it twice, thru my TA, I was given a $650 OBC the first time and $450 OBC the second time. I have a great TA.

We booked in Dec for our Pride cruise this Oct and got the military discount. We've gotten one once before out of two previous cruises. It really is an issue of availability. As previous posters said, it's not on all sailings and is limited in number. We're saving like $300/person on our upcoming cruise. We book cat 11 so a lot of other discounts don't apply (free upgrades, etc) which makes this the best deal we can probably get.

Don't try to get the military rate anymore if you feel that way. The military discount, when given, is usually the best price Carnival offers. You can't expect to double dip, can you? If you are already getting a great discount, they're not going to give you another discount on top of that. Be reasonable.

Thank all of you for your kind replies, but the fact of the matter is, if their gonna do military discount, then it SHOULD be fleetwide no matter if final payment has been recieved or not.

It is fleetwide on Carnival, but only on certain sailings. Carnival has treated all veterans with at least 2 years of service and an honorable discharge with better rates than any other cruise line in the industry. Kudos to Bob Dickinson and Carnival:) , I am one vet that apreciates their great rates to all that have served. Hoo Rahhhhh:D .

Thank all of you for your kind replies, but the fact of the matter is, if their gonna do military discount, then it SHOULD be fleetwide no matter if final payment has been recieved or not.

I have gotten a Military discount on every cruise i have been on, so it's not like it's that far and few between.

I suppose if i ever wanted to book a sailing date and found out the discount was not available on that sailing, i would just change my date, it's quite worth the effort to book another date.

NOT THAT I AM COMPLAINING but everyone seems to get these great military discounts. Ours was only $50.00 per person. How in the heck do you get all that OBC and upgrades? Our trip is in June.

Perhaps June is considered "high season" = not as great deals??

We've only sailed in Dec.; both for great weather & low rates:)

I keep calling & checking once a month:D ; you never know!

Archived