Scooter Rental or Trolley?

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 01:48 PM.
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
This is our first time in Key West. We would like to be able to see as much of it as possible. We would like to be able to stop at a restaurant, a beach, and all of the “touristy” places. I’m inclined to rent a scooter so that we can go at our own pace and on our own schedule, but my concern is that there will not be a place to park it. I also don’t want to leave it to a risk of getting stolen, and having to worry about that. Has anyone that has rented a scooter give me some feedback? Was it worth it? If you had to do it again would you go with the scooter or would you do a trolley?

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Carnival Fantasy (04/2001)
Norwegian Sky (09/21/2015)
Celebrity Equinox (05/04/2018)
Celebrity Silhouette (03/24/2019)
NCL Pride of America (05/09/2020)

Plainsboro, New Jersey
1,604 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I've never used a scooter in Key West preferring to walk everywhere, but If you were to us the Cityview Trolley ---> http://www.cityviewtrolleys.com/keywest/index.html

...stop #4 will put you at Higgs Beach where you will find your (doh!) beach and a restaurant, Salute. And for touristy places, stop #6 gives you the lighthouse, the Bahama village (check out the Blue Macaw) Blue Heaven restaurant, Bessame Mucho, and Hemingway's house.

Pjk
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Don't use a scooter in Key West unless you're very experienced. They are dangerous and Old Town can be very congested. For a first time visitor, you might be fine walking everywhere if you skip the beach. Our beaches are not very good here anyway. Unless you want to see residential areas and typical shopping malls, most things to see are in Old Town are in about a square mile area.
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by keywester33
Don't use a scooter in Key West unless you're very experienced. They are dangerous and Old Town can be very congested. For a first time visitor, you might be fine walking everywhere if you skip the beach. Our beaches are not very good here anyway. Unless you want to see residential areas and typical shopping malls, most things to see are in Old Town are in about a square mile area.
I don't really care to see the residential area....and I'm sure my husband would prefer NOT being near the mall. Haha.
Is the Fort Zachary Taylor beach good? If so, is it close enough to walk? TBH, I don't think we plan on swimming, so I guess we don't need to see the beach. NTM we'll be there after spending 5 days at different beaches.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Atlanta/Key West
10,041 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Banana15
I don't really care to see the residential area....and I'm sure my husband would prefer NOT being near the mall. Haha.
Is the Fort Zachary Taylor beach good? If so, is it close enough to walk? TBH, I don't think we plan on swimming, so I guess we don't need to see the beach. NTM we'll be there after spending 5 days at different beaches.
Being from North Carolina you certainly do not want to waste time going to the beach in Key West as you will be sorely disappointed.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
Originally posted by bhopal21
Being from North Carolina you certainly do not want to waste time going to the beach in Key West as you will be sorely disappointed.

Mike
That's kinda surprising. I always thought the beaches there would be amazing.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Orlando
390 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
No, Key West is not a beach resort. The few little beaches are manmade and not attractive.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Norwegian Sun, Western Caribbean, 10-16-2010
Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Caribbean, 4-3-2011
Celebrity Eclipse, Eastern Caribbean, 12-10-2011
Celebrity Constellation, Western Caribbean (except it never got there), 12-14-2013
Celebrity Summit, Bermuda, 5-4-2014
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean, 4-4-2016
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
I don't know when you're planning to visit, but Fort Zachary will likely be closed for a few weeks. There is a lot of cleanup needed from the hurricane. As mentioned before, the beach there is nothing special. Mostly rock and coral with a few sandy patches. It's a pretty setting, but we will have to see how much of that setting is left after the hurricane.
North Carolina
448 Posts
Joined May 2015
I don't know when you're planning to visit, but Fort Zachary will likely be closed for a few weeks.
We are actually not going until May.

I'm glad all of you have let me know that the beaches are not good. I can adjust a lot of plans since we don't have to worry about even going to see it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
{I need to travel more}

Atlanta/Key West
10,041 Posts
Joined Nov 2004
Originally posted by Banana15
We are actually not going until May.

I'm glad all of you have let me know that the beaches are not good. I can adjust a lot of plans since we don't have to worry about even going to see it.
Don't waste your time as the beaches in the keys are all man made and nothing special to say the least.

Mike
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Princess Elite Member
EMAIL
Orlando
390 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
You can, however, take glass-bottom boat rides and other excursions on the water around Key West. And the Hemingway House and Truman Little White House are well worth seeing. It's not all shopping and drinking.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sailed:
Norwegian Sun, Western Caribbean, 10-16-2010
Celebrity Solstice, Eastern Caribbean, 4-3-2011
Celebrity Eclipse, Eastern Caribbean, 12-10-2011
Celebrity Constellation, Western Caribbean (except it never got there), 12-14-2013
Celebrity Summit, Bermuda, 5-4-2014
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean, 4-4-2016
Washington, DC
953 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
We rented scooters our first time there and it was a lot of fun. We had a group of 8 and rented 3 scooters. Trying to find parking for all three near each other became difficult as it got more crowded later in the day but parking for one scooter would probably be fine.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fantasy '95
Carnival Ecstasy '10
Carnival Paradise '12
Carnival Magic '13
Carnival Pride '14
Carnival Pride '15 (First time to HMC!!!)
Carnival Breeze '16
Washington, DC
953 Posts
Joined Aug 2010
I'm am idjit. We rented golf carts, not scooters. My brain isn't awake yet! Lol
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Carnival Fantasy '95
Carnival Ecstasy '10
Carnival Paradise '12
Carnival Magic '13
Carnival Pride '14
Carnival Pride '15 (First time to HMC!!!)
Carnival Breeze '16
New Mexico
2,407 Posts
Joined Sep 2014
The Keys are not tropical islands like in the Caribbean....they are a chain of barrier islands surrounded by mangroves and swamp. You don't go to the Keys, even Key West, for a beach. Sorry.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Our cruises: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruises
Our full photo site: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/
All my videos: https://vimeo.com/user466791

Next cruise: Carnival VISTA - Apr 2019
Last cruise: Carnival Glory - May 2018: https://rnrtackett.smugmug.com/Cruis...Carnival-Glory
All Previous: Carnival Freedom (2x), Magic (2x), Liberty, Glory, Legend Alaska, Breeze.
CT
353 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
My wife and I really like Zachary Taylor park. Sure it's no Ft Lauderdale Beach or Seven Mile Beach - the sand and coral rubble closer to the water is coarse - but it's nice and rustic and the fort is a nice stroll as well. Whenever we go, we always rent bikes. In my opinion it's the best way to get around if you plan to cover more than a couple miles in a day.
294 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Originally posted by CT Sean
My wife and I really like Zachary Taylor park. Sure it's no Ft Lauderdale Beach or Seven Mile Beach - the sand and coral rubble closer to the water is coarse - but it's nice and rustic and the fort is a nice stroll as well. Whenever we go, we always rent bikes. In my opinion it's the best way to get around if you plan to cover more than a couple miles in a day.
Just FYI, as mentioned before, the park was damaged during hurricane Irma and will take some time to recover. It's not worth the trip right now in my opinion, especially for a visitor who is only here for a short time. There is also a new free circulator bus called the Duval Loop which you can view here: https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

It really eliminates the need for a scooter, electric car or bike unless you really want to ride one.
CT
353 Posts
Joined Apr 2014
Just FYI, as mentioned before, the park was damaged during hurricane Irma and will take some time to recover. It's not worth the trip right now in my opinion, especially for a visitor who is only here for a short time. There is also a new free circulator bus called the Duval Loop which you can view here: https://www.carfreekeywest.com/duval-loop-bus

It really eliminates the need for a scooter, electric car or bike unless you really want to ride one.
The park seemed fine when I was there last Sunday. I certainly wouldn't recommend it as the only thing to do on a short stop to KW, but's it's not as "awful" as it seems to be made out by some of the responses here.