Princess excursion Paris City Drive & Seine River Cruise (with lunch)

JimAOk1945

Hi Everyone,

I am researching a shore excursion for our Princess British Isles cruise next August. I plan to book through the Princess cruise line. The excursion is called Paris City Drive & Seine River Cruise LEH-105. I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has done this excursion. It really sounds great!

I have posted this question over on the France board but thought since it is a question about a Princess excursion, there might be someone here who can answer some of my questions.

I can’t find the specific information anywhere on reviews of this excursion. I’ve watched quite a few Youtube videos but they are mostly about the meal which looks wonderful but they don’t answer my questions.

How long does the meal last?

Is there any free time after the meal, or in between the courses, to go out to the observation deck to take pictures?

Are you given a choice of table size when you book the excursion?

Can you specify a table next to a window?

Which company does Princess use for this excursion?

Thanks in advance for information you can provide me.

We took this excursion on our British Isles cruise a couple of years ago.

The meal lasted pretty much the entire time of the river cruise. You could step outside at any time to take photos. No choice of table size - there were large shared tables. It will be mostly luck whether you get to sit next to the window. You all just start boarding the boat and people are directed to sit in particular sections (with others on your bus).

I don’t remember the name of the tour company.

Overall we enjoyed the excursion. It was a very long day and a very long drive to Paris from the ship. We returned to the ship 1 and 1/2 hours past the all aboard time. I thought we were the last group to board, but I was informed one of the other buses had broken down on their way back to the ship and they were more than 3 hours late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We took this excursion on our British Isles cruise a couple of years ago.

The meal lasted pretty much the entire time of the river cruise. You could step outside at any time to take photos. No choice of table size - there were large shared tables. It will be mostly luck whether you get to sit next to the window. You all just start boarding the boat and people are directed to sit in particular sections (with others on your bus).

I don’t remember the name of the tour company.

Overall we enjoyed the excursion. It was a very long day and a very long drive to Paris from the ship. We returned to the ship 1 and 1/2 hours past the all aboard time. I thought we were the last group to board, but I was informed one of the other buses had broken down on their way back to the ship and they were more than 3 hours late.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I also took this tour a couple years back and had the exact same experiences with the meal and timing, the seating, and the late arrival back at the ship. Yes, it's a very long day and very long drive to Paris. The coach stopped on the way there and the way back at a bakery/gas station for restroom breaks. Princess used Bateaux Parisiens for the river cruise but I don't recall a specific company for the coach.

For the land portion it was a whirlwind tour. We stopped at the Eiffel Tower and were allowed out to take photos for a brief few minutes and at the end of the tour we were give 30-45 minutes to shop on the Champs Elysees. But otherwise everything else was seen through the coach windows.

For me, knowing it was the only one time in my life I'd ever to get to see Paris, it was worth it.

We booked this for our European capitals cruise but the ship cancelled porting in Le Havre supposedly because there was a labor dispute at the port. I don’t want to put a damper on your trip, but have a backup plan on case it happens. It sounds like it happens with that port for some reason. We ended up staying overnight in port in Belgium. Some people left the ship and took the train to Paris. Oh and plan on having your own backup plan. We couldn’t get the excursion desk people to do much of anything to help us.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did this same excursion a couple of years ago and feel it was the right choice for us. Given the long ride to and from the city from Le Havre to Paris, I chose it because I felt I would get to see more of the city in the amount of time we'd actually be in the city, as compared to if we would have done one that put feet on the streets of Paris, or took an excursion that was focused on mainly the Eiffel Tower or some other specific destination.. I do believe my reasoning was correct, at least for us.

Overall it was a non-rushed, pretty relaxing day. The food and wines were pretty good, the views from the boat were wonderful, plenty of opportunities for photo taking, the narration was informative, and the people onboard who served the food and otherwise saw to our needs were good at their jobs.

This excursion was little on the expensive side, but IMO, well worth it.

We took this excursion in 2016. Our experience matches what others have told you. It is a long bus ride but the tour guide was good about sharing info on the way there and letting people rest too. We had a quick photo stop across from the Eiffel Tower then boarded the boat.

We had an understanding couple at the table with us as we would eat and then go take photos off the back platform and then repeat. It was a good size but not room for everyone out there. There was no platform off the front. Very nice ship and well taken care of. We had come to see Paris and the meal was not our main focus but it was very nice.

After the boat ride we got a city driving tour back on the bus with a lot of look left and look right!

We had time on the Champs Élysées by the Arc de Triomphe to take more photos, do some quick souvenirs shopping and take a quick walk down the boulevard.

Our bus was also late returning to the ship due to traffic but we had a lot of company getting back on the ship.

You don’t go inside anything in Paris but you do get a nice overview and I wouldn’t trade that experience as it is one of my favorite memories. It was pricey but seeing that we got back late I would worry if we had tried to do something on our own.

Have a great trip!

This is great information! I am also looking at Princess Paris excursions for next summer. Has anyone done the Best of Paris one? It sounds like it would be more sight seeing and without the boat cruise/lunch.
You can probably get a lot of feedback on that question by starting your own thread. [emoji4]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

This is great information! I am also looking at Princess Paris excursions for next summer. Has anyone done the Best of Paris one? It sounds like it would be more sight seeing and without the boat cruise/lunch.

I don't know what it was called but in 2015 we did the one with the Louvre and lunch at the Eiffel tower. We stopped at a rest area on the way to Paris. They had lots of merchandise so I bought some souvenirs there. We drove by the Arc d'driomphe and along the Champs Elysees. We then got to the Louvre for a while. Sorry but I don't remember how long they gave us. After that it was to the Eiffel tower. You go up one level and have lunch there. They were long rectangular tables that probably sat around 10 or so people. Then you have some free time to take pictures outside and go down the elevator. There are some souvenir shops there too. We had to meet at a certain time at the bus. Going back to Le Havre we did not stop anywhere and arrived back late. We were not the only bus unloading either. Seems it might be common to arrive back late. It was well worth the price to go.

On our British Isles cruise 2012 we and our friends did Paris in 4 hours . We chose the "Paris on Your Own" option offered by Princess. The four of us had never been there and thinking that we might not get there again we carefully picked things we wanted to see and do. The bus dropped us in the heart of the city at the Place de la Concorde. We took a cab to near Notre Dame and walked along the Seine going in back of the church and up the other side for good photo views. Stopped at a sidewalk cafe next to the church for a quick bite and then toured the inside of Notre Dame.

Then we began walking back to the Place de la Concorde stopping along the way as we felt like it. I bought a small painting from a street vendor. We walked through the courtyard at the Louvre and saw the glass pyramid. Then we walked through the Tuileries Gardens and made it to the Place de la Concorde with time to spare. We did not go close to the Eiffel Tower but could easily see it. On the way out the bus went right by it!!!

The moral of the story is...it can be done. Did not see everything but at least we can say we were there. Careful planning will make it work.

Hope this helps.

<<<Karen>>>

i did this tour a few years ago. my experience was the same as everyone else's: a well-narrated trip in; a bus ride to all the sites; stopping at an observation area for the eiffel tower (for me it was worth the entire trip for that one photo of me with the eiffel tower); lunch on the boat. our boat had mainly tables for 4 with tables next to the windows and a raised seating area in the centre of the boat so everyone had great views. yes there were non-alcoholic drinks, sorry i don't remember what i had. a bit of shopping time on the champs elysees (berets!), and a much quieter ride back to the ship.

i looked up my email home, this is what i wrote:

my day started early with a 3 hour drive to paris. i brought my book and the time went quickly. i saw the inside of the men's restroom at the rest stop. (i didn't pay extra for that!)

we had a drive of some sights. right past a garden where i saw rodin's 'the thinker'! past the arc de triumph, the louvre, the champs elysees, notre dame and the tour d'eiffel where we stopped for lots of photos. (LOTS)!. then i went on a seine lunch cruise where we had a lovely french meal. i heard the word duck. i don't know what part of the duck it was, but when in rome....or paris....so i ate it--with lots of bread. there was a woman serenading us and as we passed notre dame, she sang ave maria. it was lovely!

then on to notre dame. stunning. it would be better if all of the people would leave. ;)

then a bit of souvenier shiopping and a quick 2.5 hour drive back to le havre and onto the ship by 7pm. its been a long day but i'm so glad i saw paris.

Edited by cdngrl

I also took this tour a couple years back and had the exact same experiences with the meal and timing, the seating, and the late arrival back at the ship. Yes, it's a very long day and very long drive to Paris. The coach stopped on the way there and the way back at a bakery/gas station for restroom breaks. Princess used Bateaux Parisiens for the river cruise but I don't recall a specific company for the coach.

For the land portion it was a whirlwind tour. We stopped at the Eiffel Tower and were allowed out to take photos for a brief few minutes and at the end of the tour we were give 30-45 minutes to shop on the Champs Elysees. But otherwise everything else was seen through the coach windows.

For me, knowing it was the only one time in my life I'd ever to get to see Paris, it was worth it.

Thanks for taking the time to provide me with this information. Your description is really appreciated. I agree with you that it is a once in a lifetime opportunity and seems to be a good way to see Paris.

i did this tour a few years ago. my experience was the same as everyone else's: a well-narrated trip in; a bus ride to all the sites; stopping at an observation area for the eiffel tower (for me it was worth the entire trip for that one photo of me with the eiffel tower); lunch on the boat. our boat had mainly tables for 4 with tables next to the windows and a raised seating area in the centre of the boat so everyone had great views. yes there were non-alcoholic drinks, sorry i don't remember what i had. a bit of shopping time on the champs elysees (berets!), and a much quieter ride back to the ship.

i looked up my email home, this is what i wrote:

my day started early with a 3 hour drive to paris. i brought my book and the time went quickly. i saw the inside of the men's restroom at the rest stop. (i didn't pay extra for that!)

we had a drive of some sights. right past a garden where i saw rodin's 'the thinker'! past the arc de triumph, the louvre, the champs elysees, notre dame and the tour d'eiffel where we stopped for lots of photos. (LOTS)!. then i went on a seine lunch cruise where we had a lovely french meal. i heard the word duck. i don't know what part of the duck it was, but when in rome....or paris....so i ate it--with lots of bread. there was a woman serenading us and as we passed notre dame, she sang ave maria. it was lovely!

then on to notre dame. stunning. it would be better if all of the people would leave. ;)

then a bit of souvenier shiopping and a quick 2.5 hour drive back to le havre and onto the ship by 7pm. its been a long day but i'm so glad i saw paris.

It sounds like you had a great experience. Thanks for taking the time to post your comments.

Did you have a choice of table location and price when you booked your excursion?

No choice of table location. Several coaches fill up the boat so if your coach is the first to arrive - and you're at the front of that line - your chance of getting a window table is much higher.

Is one side of the bus better than the other for seeing the major, iconic landmarks through the bus window?

I don't know if all the coaches follow the same route, but when we passed the Notre-Dame de Paris, aka Notre-Dame Cathedral the best view was from the left side. When we went down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, the right side had the best view. I just accepted that some times I would be on the right side and at other times, maybe not.;)

I don't know if all the coaches follow the same route, but when we passed the Notre-Dame de Paris, aka Notre-Dame Cathedral the best view was from the left side. When we went down the Avenue des Champs-Élysées, the right side had the best view. I just accepted that some times I would be on the right side and at other times, maybe not.;)
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. My wife is hoping to have the opportunity to take a lot of pictures through the bus window for her website.

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. My wife is hoping to have the opportunity to take a lot of pictures through the bus window for her website.

I was on the left side and got lots of good pictures through the window. I just haven't gotten around to posting them yet.