Please watch your childen ALWAYS

Since they were docked in Port Canaveral, could they have called 911? I realize they were from Brazil and may not have been aware, but in general doesn't the local police have jurisdiction when they are docked at the port?

Since they were docked in Port Canaveral, could they have called 911? I realize they were from Brazil and may not have been aware, but in general doesn't the local police have jurisdiction when they are docked at the port?

Good point. I hope I never have cause to remember that.

Some time ago I posted on another thread about people allowing their children to walk freely around the ship. I was blasted. These ships are like a small city. Would you allow your child to just walk around alone in the city??? There are too many places they can be pulled into and something really bad happen to them. We watched a 7 year old girl sign herself in and out of Adventure Ocean late one evening. Cruise ships they don't sail under the laws of Florida or the U.S. Call me over protective but it is my duty to keep them safe. You can't change something bad after it already happened.

Wow and its just now coming to light.

I think the decision to allow a child to roam the ship is up to the parents. I don't have any more concerns about letting my 11 YO go with a friend on the ship than I do anywhere else. It is a city with good and bad.

For us as long as they know the rules. Always stick together even go to the bathroom together. No going to the cabin. No video arcade (for the expense) No shopping (she does not need a Coach purse :-). If you feel uncomfortable leave the situation immediately come get us. Of course checking in when told to no exceptions. If your late you don't get to go alone anymore.

Wow and its just now coming to light.

I think the decision to allow a child to roam the ship is up to the parents. I don't have any more concerns about letting my 11 YO go with a friend on the ship than I do anywhere else. It is a city with good and bad.

For us as long as they know the rules. Always stick together even go to the bathroom together. No going to the cabin. No video arcade (for the expense) No shopping (she does not need a Coach purse :-). If you feel uncomfortable leave the situation immediately come get us. Of course checking in when told to no exceptions. If your late you don't get to go alone anymore.

The report was just on the news this week here in Central Florida. They showed the girl and the crew member going into an elevator.

Of course the parents are the ones to set the rules for their children.

Some time ago I posted on another thread about people allowing their children to walk freely around the ship. I was blasted. These ships are like a small city. Would you allow your child to just walk around alone in the city??? There are too many places they can be pulled into and something really bad happen to them. We watched a 7 year old girl sign herself in and out of Adventure Ocean late one evening. Cruise ships they don't sail under the laws of Florida or the U.S. Call me over protective but it is my duty to keep them safe. You can't change something bad after it already happened.

I remember that thread. I don't understand people sometimes. I agree with you completely. I would never have allowed my children to wander around without me...be it a cruise ship or our home town. Maybe I was over protective, but my children were safe.

My 9 year old rides her bike to the park over a mile away. She was going to the bathroom on her own as young as 7 on cruise ships. Horrible to accuse the parents who made a choice when clearly this is an act of a horrible man. I myself would have hunted him down and dragged him by his ear to Security.

amazes me how many children wander without supervision

Really? This wasn't a little kid left to roam the halls unattended for hours. We're talking an 11 yo which is likely a middle schooler riding the elevator.

My daughter was 12 on our last cruise and several times we let her go down to the Promenade ahead of us to look around on her own and then met up 10-15 minutes later.

As a parent I have the responsibility to keep my child safe but also to teach her how to keep herself safe. I can't teach her if I never let her out of my sight.

What happened to this child could happen to a kid in school, church, afterschool activities etc. It's sad Disney swept it under the rug when it happened.

I may not agree with how Disney handled it. But that isn't why I posted it. I hope that parents watch the video and do understand that you just can't let your children out of you sight. You may be on vacation but people out to do harm aren't. Living in Florida having worked in hospitality. People on vacation really do get a false sence of security. As a parent it is my job to protect my 10 year old daughter. To teach her how to be self-aware. But at 10 years old she is still never more the 50 yards away. This 11 year old IMHO is to young to to be by herself in a place that is new to her. If this happened to my daughter, I assure you I would be walking off in handcuffs and he would be in a body bag.

I find this incident strange - typically cruise lines report these things immediately and the crew member is fired and taken off the ship. I am surprised that Disney, of all cruise lines, allowed this crew member to remain on the ship when they had video proof of what he had done.

I find the report of this incident confusing. First it says that the assault took place "in an elevator" and refers to security camera footage. Does anyone know of any cruise line that has security cameras inside the elevators? I don't.

Then it talks about security footage in the elevator lobby. That I can believe.

The crew member obviously did behave inappropriately and I hope he suffers the consequences of his action.

I can understand the grandmother deciding not to press charges. To do so would have escalated the whole incident for the child. I was similarly assaulted by someone when I was 11 years old. My mother used the incident as a teaching/learning experience, emphasizing that, unfortunately, there are men in the world who will behave like this, and suggesting ways to avoid putting myself in a situation where assaults might occur. I was not traumatized by the incident.

I don't think that there is any need to watch a 10-year old every minute of every day. You can't protect your children from life, so it's better to teach them how to avoid such incidents (never get in an elevator alone with a man, for example) and give them a sturdy self-reliance.

I also do not believe that there are more pedophiles nowadays than there used to be. It's just more openly publicized.

I realise there will be people who disagree with me. That's OK!

I find the report of this incident confusing. First it says that the assault took place "in an elevator" and refers to security camera footage. Does anyone know of any cruise line that has security cameras inside the elevators? I don't.

That confused me too. I thought cabins, the public restrooms and elevators were about the only places cameras were not.

I may not agree with how Disney handled it. But that isn't why I posted it. I hope that parents watch the video and do understand that you just can't let your children out of you sight. You may be on vacation but people out to do harm aren't. Living in Florida having worked in hospitality. People on vacation really do get a false sence of security. As a parent it is my job to protect my 10 year old daughter. To teach her how to be self-aware. But at 10 years old she is still never more the 50 yards away. This 11 year old IMHO is to young to to be by herself in a place that is new to her. If this happened to my daughter, I assure you I would be walking off in handcuffs and he would be in a body bag.

So your child doesn't go to school, birthday parties, religious school, sports practice, music lessons and on and on and on?

It's a sad situation. Parents shouldn't HAVE to watch their children on cruises 24/7. Kids should be able to roam a little and have some fun. Unfortunatly our world isn't a small world after all. Pun intended, and because of this parents have to be on the offense not defense. If that would have been my child 911 would have been called because I would have personally found him and beat him to do the ground. I'm just saying.

It's a sad situation. Parents shouldn't HAVE to watch their children on cruises 24/7. Kids should be able to roam a little and have some fun. Unfortunatly our world isn't a small world after all. Pun intended, and because of this parents have to be on the offense not defense. If that would have been my child 911 would have been called because I would have personally found him and beat him to do the ground. I'm just saying.

I remember that thread. I don't understand people sometimes. I agree with you completely. I would never have allowed my children to wander around without me...be it a cruise ship or our home town. Maybe I was over protective, but my children were safe.

parents like you are the reason a whole generation is coming out of college into the workforce with no basic life skills and being unable to cope with unfamiliar situations.

Also the fact that DCL handled it this way is not surprising at all. Disney is well known to cover up criminal activity, injuries, and other things that could cause bad press for the company. People have nearly died in Disney theme parks because they will not allow ambulances into theme park guest areas.

Then it talks about security footage in the elevator lobby. That I can believe.

The crew member obviously did behave inappropriately and I hope he suffers the consequences of his action.

I can understand the grandmother deciding not to press charges. To do so would have escalated the whole incident for the child. I was similarly assaulted by someone when I was 11 years old. My mother used the incident as a teaching/learning experience, emphasizing that, unfortunately, there are men in the world who will behave like this, and suggesting ways to avoid putting myself in a situation where assaults might occur. I was not traumatized by the incident.

I don't think that there is any need to watch a 10-year old every minute of every day. You can't protect your children from life, so it's better to teach them how to avoid such incidents (never get in an elevator alone with a man, for example) and give them a sturdy self-reliance.

I also do not believe that there are more pedophiles nowadays than there used to be. It's just more openly publicized.

I realise there will be people who disagree with me. That's OK!

I agree with this 1000%. I went to college with kids who had no LIFE skills and I found them to be nerve-wracking because they were so dependent and needy. Parents aren't always going to be there to hold your hand. I think we do our kids a great disservice by not giving them age appropriate amounts of independence.

parents like you are the reason a whole generation is coming out of college into the workforce with no basic life skills and being unable to cope with unfamiliar situations.

There it is! Twenty posts later. Did anyone not see this comment coming. Yea, it's because the parents watch their kids too closely on cruise ships. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D

We've also started letting our 9 yr old check herself in and out of the kids club, and go on up ahead of us at the buffet or at the promenade for a little independence.

She's also a brown belt in karate (working her way towards black), and her classes are heavily focused on self defense, specifically what to do if someone grabs you.

So I'm one of the those parents that wants her child to learn to be aware of their surroundings, understand that not all people are good (most are), and follow the rules we set for her will get her a little more freedom or independence each day/year as she demonstrates good judgment.

Archived