so does DH have to wear.....

amazinglife

After 30 plus cruises the novelty has worn off for him. On Princess he goes to the MDR on formal nights in dress shirt and pants. No blazer, no tie. He has never been told to leave.

Plus, we only want to bring one luggage so weight is a concern.

This is his first time on X.

K let the flames begin lol

Edited by amazinglife

After 30 plus cruises the novelty has worn off for him. On Princess he goes to the MDR on formal nights in dress shirt and pants. No blazer, no tie. He has never been told to leave.

This his first time on X.

You should try NCL... they fit your style. We are elite on Princess and Celebrity...

We have been loyal to Princess and are Elite also. The staff don't care but it seems to bother some pax. Our meal has never been spoiled because someone was not dressed to code. People need to lighten up. The days of gowns and tuxs are almost gone.

Edited by amazinglife

This is his first time on X.

Why did you ask the question? Just do what you want and I would suggest everyone ignore this post.

a suit or blazer, shirt and tie on formal night in the MDR?

that will be fine. Don't let others convience you that a tux is necessary, less the 50% of men where a tux and on some cruises far less.

Edited by maxsales

We don't mind dressing up but we prefer to eat in the specialty restaurants on formal nights anyway, and we don't always dress formally there because it's not required. Some do, we don't always, although we do wear the nicest of our outfits those nights. You don't have to feel like you are "banished" to your cabin or the buffet on those nights.

The clothes for a couple hours in one restaurant venue shouldn't make or break your cruise or be the deciding factor, as there are so many other choices or places to eat.

Have a great cruise.

Sometimes men who arrive without a jacket are given one. So to avoid the possible embarrassment you can book a specialty restaurant, eat at the buffet, order room service (room service is free, and even the MDR menu is available at no extra charge)

We are not participating in the formal nights for our upcoming cruise because we are keeping luggage to a minimum, so this interests me. So how does this work? Are there menus in our cabin or do we order at the dining room and request room service?

Also, although I've understand that we can dine at the specialty restaurants on formal nights without dressing up, I've read that many people in those venues still dress formally. Will we feel out of place?

We have been loyal to Princess and are Elite also. The staff don't care but it seems to bother some pax. Our meal has never been spoiled because someone was not dressed to code. People need to lighten up. The days of gowns and tuxs are almost gone.

Oh, right! We keep forgetting that it's all about you, and no one else matters. There is no need to respect the cruise line's requests, or anyone else, for that matter. Just as long as you aren't inconvenienced in any way. So sorry we weren't bright enough to figure that out. :rolleyes:

I just wanted to know how flexible X is.

We will go to another venue.....maybe :eek::cool::eek:

Your attitude in your other posts pretty clearly indicates that you will be doing whatever pleases you, and everyone else can "lighten up". As others have said, why book a cruise on a cruise line that doesn't satisfy your preferences? NCL seems to be more your style. :(

Edited by sloopsailor

Nobody said you have to wear a gown or a tux. A blazer is just respectable for formal night. If people keep pushing the rules, people will begin to eventually just dress in shorts and sandals like at the buffet.

When people push the limits, they are not demonstrating the same respect as those who are following the dress code. It's that simple.

Follow the guidelines please.

Kevloe, you can stop by the MDR in the afternoon and view the evening menu, or you can ask your room steward for one. You order by calling on the phone, not at the dining room. Having dinner on ones own balcony can be a real treat

Thank you very much! We've been on a few cruises, mostly Princess, but this is our first time with Celebrity. It's wonderful that we can get dinner via room service - we won't miss out or necessarily have go to the buffet on formal nights. I like the buffet - just not all the time. :)

so does DH have to wear.....a suit or blazer, shirt and tie on formal night in the MDR?

Does he "have to"...of course not.

He has three choices: (1) He can wear formal attire anyways like the vast majority of other patrons who follow the dress code; (2) he can dine in an alternative venue where formal attire is not part of the dress code or; (3) he can ignore the code in disregard of the other passengers who follow it and take his chances as to whether it will cause an admittance issue or not.

Oh...one more...instead of wearing a suit or blazer he can wear a tux or formal dinner jacket!!

Edited by Lsimon

Sorry... I for one never understand these "Do I have to" posts

Why anyone buys a product or signs up for something without fully knowing said product (reading the fine print) is beyond me...

It is as ridiculous as someone asking...

Is it true I need to be 16 to get a Driver's License ?

And then all the ensuing discussion... But I can drive now etc

Ya.. But it ain't legal / follows the rules etc

I don't really care if your Daddy taught you at 5

It isn't the way things are done.

On Celebrity going outside of the norm means...

You take your chances... If you get caught their are consequences

On Celebrity that means being refused entry (embarrassing ?)

Or being handed a Sport Jacket from who knows where ... :eek: ick

Personally I'd rather comply (bring appropriate attire) or just plan in advance to eat elsewhere... There are afterall plenty of options:

Specialty Restaurants = Smart Casual

Buffet = Casual

Room Service = whatever you chose

Cheers!

Ps... We love formal nights as does it seem the majority of Celebrity pax (hence why they are still around). There is a real special atmosphere that surrounds Formal Nights (especially the first one... the Captains Welcome). IMO one of the great reasons to sail Celebrity.

Edited by Sloop-JohnB

It does seem that on Celebrity the passengers tend to follow and value the rules. On formal nights, you will find that the vast majority are dressed up, all night, in all venues except for the buffet. After dinner, DH sometimes puts his jacket in the stateroom. At dinner in MDR or Specialty he would feel underdressed if he didn't wear a jacket.

Edited by royalcruz

a suit or blazer, shirt and tie on formal night in the MDR?

Does he have to? Probably not.

Should he? Probably.

Or just avoid the penguins and peahens parade and eat somewhere else.

However I would say he definitely must wear a shirt no matter where you dine.