Radiance Alaska Balcony?

Mark O

Starboard side would be preferred northbound, but it really isn't that much better during the inside passage.

OV or balcony at the Hubbard Glacier will make a significant difference. With a balcony you have one of the best uncrowded viewing spots while the ship spins 360 degrees to let everyone on both sides of the ship see the glacier. Deck 11 (lots of obstructions) and deck 12 are your only real alternatives with an OV or inside cabin. It's also one of the best places to have the extended balconies on deck 7. The sight lines for photos are fantastic.

Enjoy.

Hi!

We did a land tour and southbound cruise back in August of this year. It was amazing! If at all possible get Aft balcony! that is what we had on deck 9. You were able to see things on both sides as well as out the back. There was no engine noise or movement felt. That is the only way I would cruise Alaska again. The walk from the elevator was a little longer but soooooo worth it. As soon as the dates you want become available book it ASAP! My husband told me in the morning it was open to book and he would do it that evening. When he did ( about 10 hrs later) we had our choice of only 2! The rest had already been booked. It was a long wait till sail time arrived but a trip I would not have missed. Hope this helps some.

Hi!

We did a land tour and southbound cruise back in August of this year. It was amazing! If at all possible get Aft balcony! that is what we had on deck 9. You were able to see things on both sides as well as out the back. There was no engine noise or movement felt. That is the only way I would cruise Alaska again. The walk from the elevator was a little longer but soooooo worth it. As soon as the dates you want become available book it ASAP! My husband told me in the morning it was open to book and he would do it that evening. When he did ( about 10 hrs later) we had our choice of only 2! The rest had already been booked. It was a long wait till sail time arrived but a trip I would not have missed. Hope this helps some.

I agree with booking an aft. We have JS 1100 booked for our May Alaska cruise. I booked it the night before the itineraries were supposed to be released, right after I saw a post here saying the itineraries were loaded.

Which cruisetour did you do?

I agree with booking an aft. We have JS 1100 booked for our May Alaska cruise. I booked it the night before the itineraries were supposed to be released, right after I saw a post here saying the itineraries were loaded.

Which cruisetour did you do?

We did the 11 Night Mountain Valley Explorer Cruise tour. Really liked doing the land portion and then the cruise.

A balcony is never a necessity, it’s a “nice to have”.

If you have the disposable income to get the balcony AND do the excursions you want, do it. How many times are you going to Alaska in your life?

Don’t miss out a chance to helicopter to a glacier, or dog sled just so you can sit on a balcony. I’ve been on the Radiance multiple times and there are plenty of places to enjoy the scenery and not be crowded. I’ve never regretted getting a balcony but I’d much rather be up on deck getting a full 360 degree view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I love balconies for Alaska, I have always done Southbound cruises 4 so far, 3 of them on Radiance of the seas. In the inside passage there are things to see on both sides of the ship, I don't feel I miss anything if on the "wrong" side of the ship. I have done 2 portside trips and 2 starboard trips. I personally love the hump cabins on the starboard side of the Radiance (you can see all the way down the ship and down to the water), I have been in 7598 and 7600 and I am booked in 9584 for next summer. I think aft would be awesome but am prone to motion sickness so try to stay center ship.:)

Agree...for us a balcony is always well worth it (regardless of itinerary) for that quiet outdoor personal space when you want it.

We love the Radiance Northbound Alaska (3 for us and one roundtrip from Vancouver).

We've had and loved each location...#1050, 1100, 9256 & 9660.

A balcony is never a necessity, it’s a “nice to have”.

If you have the disposable income to get the balcony AND do the excursions you want, do it. How many times are you going to Alaska in your life?

Don’t miss out a chance to helicopter to a glacier, or dog sled just so you can sit on a balcony. I’ve been on the Radiance multiple times and there are plenty of places to enjoy the scenery and not be crowded. I’ve never regretted getting a balcony but I’d much rather be up on deck getting a full 360 degree view.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So agree. My preference is a balcony cabin, but Alaska cruises with the land tour are expensive to start with! We are booked in a forward ocean view on Radiance for next June. We decided we would spend our dollars on the excursions rather than the balcony. We do plan on a helicopter tour landing on a glacier, and also hope to do a flightseeing plane tour as one of the optional excursions on the land tour.

We did the 11 Night Mountain Valley Explorer Cruise tour. Really liked doing the land portion and then the cruise.

We are doing the same cruisetour in June. Did you have enough time in Denali to do the Wilderness Tundra Tour? Any helpful hints about that cruisetour that we should be aware of? I have looked, but not ever found a review of that particular land portion.

Thanks!

I'm planning to book a 7 nights Northbound Alaska and Hubbard Glacier itinerary on Radiance and would appreciate some opinions on whether a balcony on the correct (starboard) side is an absloute necessity or is an oceanview cabin sufficient?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

We have done this cruise two times on the Radiance, and have had a balcony on the Starbord side both times. Although not 100% necessary, I would definitely recommend a balcony on the starboard side if your budget permits.

Hi!

In 2012 we had cabin 8138(?), corner aft balcony, port(left) side. it was fantastic.

We had a deck 7 balcony when we were on Radiance in Alaska a few years ago. While we did enjoy it I would not say it is a must. It was great when we were at the glacier. The Radiance is a small ship, not too far to get to a nice viewing area. If you can afford a balcony go for it but if not you could still have a great cruise in either an inside or ocean view

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk