Cruise Critic "Meet and Mingle"

Longs

Through our roll call, we signed up for the "meet and mingle" that Carnival apparently will provide for Cruise Critic members if a sufficient number of people, at least 25, sign up. We were on the Legend starting July 19th and our Roll Call had enough people sign up that Carnival did the meet and greet on Wednesday morning on the "Day at Sea" in Billy's piano bar.

I showed up. So did three other people. There were more ship's crew members than Cruise Critic members. The ship also provided pastries and coffee/juices. It was kind of embarrassing overall, and only lasted maybe 20 minutes, plus they had a lot of food go to waste, along with the time spent on it.

My recommendation would be to not sign up for the Meet and Mingle if you're not going to show up for it. I assume that Carnival does it because they think that this site is influential, but they won't keep offering it if people don't show. Just my two cents.

Through our roll call, we signed up for the "meet and mingle" that Carnival apparently will provide for Cruise Critic members if a sufficient number of people, at least 25, sign up. We were on the Legend starting July 19th and our Roll Call had enough people sign up that Carnival did the meet and greet on Wednesday morning on the "Day at Sea" in Billy's piano bar.

I showed up. So did three other people. There were more ship's crew members than Cruise Critic members. The ship also provided pastries and coffee/juices. It was kind of embarrassing overall, and only lasted maybe 20 minutes, plus they had a lot of food go to waste, along with the time spent on it.

My recommendation would be to not sign up for the Meet and Mingle if you're not going to show up for it. I assume that Carnival does it because they think that this site is influential, but they won't keep offering it if people don't show. Just my two cents.

We had the exact opposite on our Carnival Dream Cruise in May. We had CC people show up at Carnival's appointed time and place and there was absolutely nobody or anything from Carnival.

At least yours was on a sea day. The one on my Vista cruise was on the 9th day of the cruise, during a long port day. The meet up was scheduled for 5. Back on board time was 6:30. I don't think anyone showed up to it. Heck, I didn't even see the announcement for it until after I was back home.

If you say your going to do something you should do it.

At least yours was on a sea day. The one on my Vista cruise was on the 9th day of the cruise, during a long port day. The meet up was scheduled for 5. Back on board time was 6:30. I don't think anyone showed up to it. Heck, I didn't even see the announcement for it until after I was back home.

They do seem to set them up at strange times. Would think they would want to do it on a sea day.

I think Carnival is the reason for low attendance. There is no uniformity as to when the meet and mingles are and who from Carnival shows up. I've heard that they have them at 5 o'clock on port days when people are getting back on the ship or other odd days and times. This is the first time I've seen a post where it was on a sea day and I think people are still using social media sites to make their own meet and mingle at sail away or some other agreed apon time. Carnival should expect low turn outs if they offer the meet and mingles at a time that is convenient for the most people to attend. Just my 2 cents

I think Carnival is the reason for low attendance. There is no uniformity as to when the meet and mingles are and who from Carnival shows up. I've heard that they have them at 5 o'clock on port days when people are getting back on the ship or other odd days and times. This is the first time I've seen a post where it was on a sea day and I think people are still using social media sites to make their own meet and mingle at sail away or some other agreed apon time. Carnival should expect low turn outs if they offer the meet and mingles at a time that is convenient for the most people to attend. Just my 2 cents

Ours was in the Fun Times for the first sea day at noon in the piano bar. We showed up. Carnival did not. No crew. No food. Nothing.

Our miracle M&G was at 5 pm on the last elegant night. Only one line buried in the FUNTIMES. They served lots of cookies and other goodies, right before dinner. Our CD and a crew member showed up. Only 10 at the most showed up. They took a group photo.

A CRUISE A YEAR KEEPS ME IN GEAR

• 11 months later...

If they don't do it on day one or two (Sea Days) who needs it. It's called "Meet..." for a reason.:confused:

Ours was on the 1st sea day at 11am on the Breeze. 6 out of 65 showed, kind of embarrassing. CD, HD, Guest Services Mgr and a few other crew were there. They served hot and cold beverages, snacks, sandwiches and pastries. Poor showing be Cruise Critic members.

If you say your going to do something you should do it.

For the most part, I agree. But stuff happens, especially if you're traveling with extended family. Not everyone in a family unit has the same degree of liberty to do what they want to. At least, if you're not going to be able to show up for the meet & greet, you should notify the kind souls from your Roll Call who arranged it.

I think a lot of people sign up because they're encouraged to do so by their Roll Call, so that the Roll Call has enough sign-ups to satisfy the requirement. I suspect many feel that they're helping the Roll Call by signing up, even if they are not committed to (or even if they don't intend to) attend.

Carnival needs to take a page from the Norwegian Cruise Line playbook when it comes to these Meet & Greets... They are almost always held on the first sea day around 11:00 - Noon, and all of the officers and senior staff (minus the Captain) are present. Each head of department (Hotel Director, Food & Beverage, Guest Services, ect) gives all in attendance a card with their personal contact info, and encourages you to contact them with ANY ISSUE that arises, no matter how big or small. Also, these same officers are visible throughout the ship, and go out of their way to get feedback from the passengers. On my past several sailings with NCL, attendance has averaged over 100 people... With Carnival, the whole thing seems more of an afterthought, when they have a real opportunity to connect with the very passengers who go home and write reviews on Cruise Critic...

For the most part, I agree. But stuff happens, especially if you're traveling with extended family. Not everyone in a family unit has the same degree of liberty to do what they want to. At least, if you're not going to be able to show up for the meet & greet, you should notify the kind souls from your Roll Call who arranged it.

The roll call is not arraigning the M&G, Carnival is..............there is no one to tell.

Our Meet & Mingle was at 10am on the first sea day on the Conquest April 28, 2017 sailing. We had 30 something people sign up and only 7 people show up. It was in the Fun Times and we received an invitation in our mail box. Some of the other people said they never received an invitation. Several of the Carnival staff showed up but most left after 15 minutes since very few of us Cruise Critic people bothered to come. Seems to be problems on both sides with people showing up.

The best time to hold a Meet & Greet is about an hour and a half before departure on arrival day. The problem is that that is the busiest time for Carnival employees so it is unlikely to happen. When you hold it at any other time like 10 am on a sea day, there is a good chance you will miss some other activity that you wanted to attend. The end result is that many M & G's end up with many missing people since you signed up not knowing when the event will take place. What's the solution? I don't think there is any unless Carnival and the Roll Call agree ahead of time to a time and place. Carnival does not want to do that, hence the dilemma. The only alternative is for the Roll Call to do the M & G on their own. That way you make all the choices. No paid for drinks but that is the price you will have to pay.

• 5 months later...

we went on cruise in July and had a meet and greet set up. we never got an invitation or saw in fun times. what is it called in the funtimes? We are going on mar 3 and have 82 people signed up for meet and greet but im worried we wont know when it is.

we went on cruise in July and had a meet and greet set up. we never got an invitation or saw in fun times. what is it called in the funtimes? We are going on mar 3 and have 82 people signed up for meet and greet but im worried we wont know when it is.

It says "Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Private)"

From what I've seen, it's all about timing. When you sign up for the M&G six months before your cruise, you have no idea of what you are going to be doing when the cruise line decides to have it.

We've never signed up for the M&Gs but have said we would meet with our roll call. One decided that they would meet right after muster during sail away. We like to be up on the Lido Deck during sail away. One was on a sea day but was a cabin crawl. We don't want people coming through out cabin.

Needless to say. we don't bother with them any more. We have actually struck up acquaintances with fellow cruisers on our own.

Ours was in the Fun Times for the first sea day at noon in the piano bar. We showed up. Carnival did not. No crew. No food. Nothing.

We had the same experience. The Fun Times had time and place posted, but we were the only ones to show up. No Carnival, no other M and M cruisers. After the cruise was over, our roll call still communicated, and I found out that some (not ALL) others had received invitations in their door mailboxes...for a DIFFERENT location and time. Carnival created a mess! It seems that about half of our fairly large M and M group were invited.