What to do in Fort Lauderdale

Tropic5115

My husband and I will be spending two days pre-cruise (Feb. 23rd & 24th) in Fort Lauderdale. We usually fly in the day before and spend our time walking around Las Olas or by the beach. Now that we have two full days we are looking for something a little different. We have a rental car lined up and are willing to drive anywhere within a couple of hours. Any ideas?

Consider visiting Everglades National Park. The two viewing areas closest to Fort Lauderdale are Shark Valley and Royal Palm. Winter (the dry season) is the best time to visit. It's not too hot or humid, there are no mosquitoes, and - most important for wildlife viewing - animals and birds congregate around waterholes.

Shark Valley (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvisit/svdirections.htm) is off the Tamiami Trail west of Miami and has a 15 mile paved path for biking, hiking or taking a guided tram ride that includes a stop at a multi story tower that lets you see the Everglades for miles around in every direction. Park rangers also give free talks and guided walks. There are three authorized airboat businesses that offer professional airboat tours inside Everglades National Park. All three (Coopertown, Everglades Safari Park, and Gator Park) are located along US Hwy 41/Tamiami Trail between Miami and Shark Valley.

Royal Palm is just past the Ernest Coe Visitors Center (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvis...directions.htm) southwest of Miami. The Anhinga Trail is a walking path (usually lined with alligators right up to and on the path). Park rangers also give free talks and guided walks. Between the highway and the Visitors Entrance you will pass Robert Is Here (https://www.robertishere.com/), a fruit stand on steroids that has delicious fresh fruit milkshakes/smoothies.

If you have any interest in flora and fauna the Everglades is definitely worth your time. It is truly unique. We bring all our visitors there. Given that it changes with the weather (for example our dry season this winter hasn't been very dry), almost all repeat visitors ask to return.

My husband and I will be spending two days pre-cruise (Feb. 23rd & 24th) in Fort Lauderdale. We usually fly in the day before and spend our time walking around Las Olas or by the beach. Now that we have two full days we are looking for something a little different. We have a rental car lined up and are willing to drive anywhere within a couple of hours. Any ideas?

Drive to the upper keys. Key West is fantastic, but it can be crowded and might already be on your itinerary. Drive to the upper keys (about half the distance to Key West and visit Islamorada for a change of pace.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We enjoyed an airboat ride in the Everglades the first afternoon we were in Fort Lauderdale in December. We've taken over a dozen cruises from there, but this was our first time doing the airboat. It was also our first time going to Sawgrass Mills Mall. I don't see the big attraction of it, but we did have an enjoyable lunch at an Italian restaurant there.

We also went to a Florida Panthers (NHL) game. I got inexpensive tickets on Stubhub as well as a parking pass. It was fun to see an NHL game in another arena. The Panthers are playing the Penguins on Feb. 24.

We love going to McCarthy’s Wildlife Sanctuary in West Palm Beach. They do tours limited to 10 or so people and you do have to prebook. Lions, tigers, panthers, fox, reptiles, birds..... it’s like going on a behind the scenes tour of a zoo.... you learn each animals story.

Right now they have a baby white lion that you can pay to have play time with. Check their Facebook page.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We lived we lived in Ft Lauderdale for 8 years. Looking forward to going back for a few days before our next cruise in March! Here are the things we are most looking forward to -

1. Casual dockside lunch at 15th Street Fisheries. Aside from delicious and well prepared fish, the setting can't be beat! Watch the taurpin through the glass bottom floor or buy a bag of feed to feed them off the dock and watch them jump! Listen to a live band on the weekends. Watch the yachts come and go.

2. Dinner at Cassablanca Cafe on the beach. Delicious with a cozy, romantic atmosphere that can't be beat. Join the raucous crowd singing with the guitarist at the bar or dine on the patio and people watch the boardwalk. You can't go wrong. Try the swordfish with smashed plantains and black beans!

3. Rent bikes and ride the Hollywood boardwalk. Stop st the juice bar for super fresh organic salad and fresh juice. If you like unusual eats, try the durian.

4. Head to Marando Farms for an interesting assortment of fresh produce, juice, petting farm and tours covering agriculture, organic food and more. You can also pick your own pasture raised eggs.

Clearly our priorities are food based :')We are traveling with our children so the rest of our plans are somewhat child centric. I'm happy to share those as well if you're interested!

If renting a car, I'd do an upper Keys trip as suggested. A few other things would be Vizcaya, Coral Castle, etc.

But in the Keys, you have Robbies, Theater of the Sea, John Pennekamp (kayaks, glass bottom, snorkeling, etc.), maybe grab lunch at Lazy Days, etc. Lots of art galleries and roadside shops. It's a fantastic day trip and you can get back in the afternoon.... in which case on the way back I'd stop at South Beach, park at South Pointe park, and enjoy the area there near the waterway - watch the cruise ships leave, maybe grab dinner at Joe's or Smith and Wollensky.

I also like the idea of Shark Valley (Everglades). The challenge is that South Florida is the best place on earth. :) There is so much to do it's hard to recommend any one or two things. I'd even consider staying at Margaritaville on the Hollywood Broadwalk, don't bother with a rental car, and just enjoying the resort and beach.

If you are looking for restaurants, we could recommend a few of the "institutions" but I'm not sure if you are really big into that or not.

Edited by BNBR

We enjoyed an airboat ride in the Everglades the first afternoon we were in Fort Lauderdale in December. We've taken over a dozen cruises from there, but this was our first time doing the airboat. It was also our first time going to Sawgrass Mills Mall. I don't see the big attraction of it, but we did have an enjoyable lunch at an Italian restaurant there.

We also went to a Florida Panthers (NHL) game. I got inexpensive tickets on Stubhub as well as a parking pass. It was fun to see an NHL game in another arena. The Panthers are playing the Penguins on Feb. 24.

I've never understood the big draw with the Sawgrass mall. But people sure do seem to think it's a destination. Whenever we have family visit, they'll inevitably spend a day or two shopping. But if someone only has 1 or 2 days, I would highly recommend avoiding going to a mall!

• 4 months later...
A little reading down the board will discover many ideas. One would be the water taxi, which you can do in as little as about 2 hours, or make a full day of it.

Do they allow that in a rental car? :confused: How do they calculate mileage when you return it?