Waiver for underage drinkers?

Megan_Strick

Because the drinking age is 21 when you board the ship silly:confused:

Silly is your condescendingly insulting answer. Most of the rest of the world allows adults (18) to drink beer and wine. Our young men and women can join the military at 17 with parent's permission (and it has been my honor to lead them over the last 25 years) so why not allow them to have a drink with their parent's permission? Because you don't approve? I'm going to be politically incorrect here...grow up and realize that we (USA) are on the wrong end of this argument. Let the young adults have a drink. Heck, buy them one and use it as a teaching moment to discuss "responsible" drinking. Don't get them "knee walking, commode hugging drunk", just buy them a drink and be an adult with your offspring. Too much to ask? Then yeah, they'll learn to drink at parties in college (i.e. out of control).

Silly is your condescendingly insulting answer. Most of the rest of the world allows adults (18) to drink beer and wine. Our young men and women can join the military at 17 with parent's permission (and it has been my honor to lead them over the last 25 years) so why not allow them to have a drink with their parent's permission?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, active-service members of the US military can drink while on post at age 18. If that's the case, I have no problem with a soldier age 18 or older drinking on board ship with properly verified military ID. As far as I'm concerned, they've earned that right.

No, at least not in the Navy. The number of alcohol-related incidents with sailors under 21 years of age would skyrocket. I happen to know someone near and dear to me who may have spent some time on restriction for underage drinking.
Not in the army either.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

One more point at age 18 you can fight and die for our country but you can't drink beer? Let get off it and be real for a change enough of the PC.

This age is also a mistake, the human brain does not even fully develop until about age 25 and these kids (and they are kids) have NO idea what they are getting into at age 18...they look at the recruiting stuff and listen to the rhetoric which does not INCLUDE pix of those that are maimed, killed or the PTSD that ruins your life forever...sooooo bad example sorry...18 is too young for most decisions and probably the reason the NY drinking law was changed to 21 some time ago (many, many, years ago)....just sayin

Silly is your condescendingly insulting answer. Most of the rest of the world allows adults (18) to drink beer and wine. Our young men and women can join the military at 17 with parent's permission (and it has been my honor to lead them over the last 25 years) so why not allow them to have a drink with their parent's permission? Because you don't approve? I'm going to be politically incorrect here...grow up and realize that we (USA) are on the wrong end of this argument. Let the young adults have a drink. Heck, buy them one and use it as a teaching moment to discuss "responsible" drinking. Don't get them "knee walking, commode hugging drunk", just buy them a drink and be an adult with your offspring. Too much to ask? Then yeah, they'll learn to drink at parties in college (i.e. out of control).

I was one of those that joined the Navy at 17 and I was served in California back in the day even though the drinking age was 21:). We signed the waiver for our eldest when we went on NCL and he didn't like beer or wine so didn't drink much and of course we did have the teaching moment with him. He found out that he likes whiskey- in college and from what he's told me visited the porcelain god on a number of occasions:loudcry:.

I was reading a review of a lady who went on the NCL Breakaway and was able to sign a waiver for her 20 year old son to be able to drink. Does Carnival do that too?

It sounds odd that the cruise line would allow that.

I to do not believe this!:confused:

I to do not believe this!:confused:

It's true. I sail NCL all of the time.

What is the minimum age for purchase and/or consumption of alcoholic beverages?

Passengers must be 21 years of age or older to purchase or consume alcohol. With the exception of Alaska and Hawaii itineraries, Norwegian permits young adults to purchase and personally consume wine and beer only while onboard and with the consent of an accompanying parent. Authorization will be given only when the accompanying parent completes the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form. This form can be obtained and completed at the Guest Services Desk upon embarkation of the vessel. However, passengers 18 years of age or older are permitted to consume beer and wine when sailing on round-trip European and Australian voyages without having to complete the Young Adult Alcoholic Beverage Waiver form.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as I recall, active-service members of the US military can drink while on post at age 18. If that's the case, I have no problem with a soldier age 18 or older drinking on board ship with properly verified military ID. As far as I'm concerned, they've earned that right.

Your are wrong. Drinking age for the military is 21. If stationed overseas, the drinking age is still 21. Does it mean, they won't drink? Well, they do at their own risk. They earn the right to be a representative of the military, in or out of uniform, and obey the laws and rules set forth for all people. If the ship is 21, than they are 21.

By the way, RCCL allows 18 year olds to drink if the ship, is a closed loop trip from a country that allows 18. NCL allows a waiver in this case. Carnival has decided they can't trust 18 year olds to be responsible. I wonder why?

Your are wrong. Drinking age for the military is 21. If stationed overseas, the drinking age is still 21. Does it mean, they won't drink? Well, they do at their own risk. They earn the right to be a representative of the military, in or out of uniform, and obey the laws and rules set forth for all people. If the ship is 21, than they are 21.

By the way, RCCL allows 18 year olds to drink if the ship, is a closed loop trip from a country that allows 18. NCL allows a waiver in this case. Carnival has decided they can't trust 18 year olds to be responsible. I wonder why?

NCL is the only cruise line that allows a waiver (that I am aware of) for sailings from the US, so CCL is hardly alone in this regard. As you mention some cruise lines will allow 18 year olds to drink if the itinerary originates in a country with an 18 year old drinking age.

Hummm, the military must have change this rule, because back in the 70's when I was in the USMC, I was able to drink at age 18 in all of the bars on base.

Hummm, the military must have change this rule, because back in the 70's when I was in the USMC, I was able to drink at age 18 in all of the bars on base.

Back in the 70's was a loooooonnnnnnngggggg time ago, just ask my body:o. It is my understanding that the drinking age is dependent on the drinking age of base, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's a universal 21 year old drinking age in foreign countries. (Of course the drinking age in the barracks is a different story.)

Wholeheartedly agree (and Thank You for your service). That is exactly what my parents did as I was growing up around the world and I am pretty sure I am a normal, healthy, adult contributor to society. I recall fondly coming back from school in the UK back in the late 80's (I guess at an age equiv. to 11th grade), finishing my homework then popping into the local pub for a few pints and a chat with friends. I see nothing worse that the ridiculous behavior of people who hit the 'magic 21' and want to celebrate by getting fall down/black out drunk, or the stupidity of the college freshmen initiation challenges.

When I was 16, I went to Paris for 9 days with a school trip. My mother was allowed to sign a form saying that I could have a single glass of wine as part of the dinner that was included in the package. She signed it. I can't speak for others, but for me, this gave me enough of a taste of "French Life" and I never tried to get wine/alcohol at any other point during the trip, though I easily could have.

Now, this year my sons (15 and 17) will be going on a European trip through school, and it wasn't even offered as an option. As with cruise lines, their trip, their rules, but personally I don't see why they don't give the option. The "house wine" served in French restaurants is wonderful, and would be a great experience for them. In my judgement it wouldn't get them drunk or increase their risk of binge drinking, if anything it might lessen it. But oh well. Not a huge deal.

It was still 18 in On-base Clubs when I joined in '89. But the law changed in the 90's as the military pushed to "deglamorize" alcohol consumption. On deployment in 2008 and 2010 the CO decided that we would hold underage sailors to the "no drinking under 21" rule even though we were going to be overseas in countries that allowed 18 year olds to drink. I knew the sailors were drinking anyway (they're sailors on liberty...duh), but if they got in trouble and had imbibed underage, they got the hammer!

Also reduced binge drinking from young adults who smuggle hard liquor onboard or drink their parents bon voyage bottle set ups in the cabin.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Very true. Your at the bar, much easier to be moderated by the bartender and cut off as needed. And, anecdotally, I have been on the Breakaway out of NYC...HEAVEY drinking cruise at any age...

Very true. Your at the bar, much easier to be moderated by the bartender and cut off as needed. And, anecdotally, I have been on the Breakaway out of NYC...HEAVEY drinking cruise at any age...

Lots of people get the free drink package as one of their chosen perks . I'll have a few libations this NYE on the Breakaway myself [emoji51]

Back in the 70's was a loooooonnnnnnngggggg time ago, just ask my body:o. It is my understanding that the drinking age is dependent on the drinking age of base, but it wouldn't surprise me to find out that it's a universal 21 year old drinking age in foreign countries. (Of course the drinking age in the barracks is a different story.)

For most countries the drinking age is 18. The US and about 6 other countries is the drinking age 21.

Wasn’t the age changed to 21 because the bill tied up infrastructure monies otherwise?

https://www.alcoholproblemsandsolutions.org/LegalDrinkingAge.html

Lots of people get the free drink package as one of their chosen perks . I'll have a few libations this NYE on the Breakaway myself [emoji51]

hey hey, me too, I had the drink package and crushed them. Not judging, just stating. Check out that martini bar midship....really nice.

hey hey, me too, I had the drink package and crushed them. Not judging, just stating. Check out that martini bar midship....really nice.

Yep. Plan to drink my way through the entire martini menu. Winter NYC cruises on NCL. Summer NYC cruises on Carnival