Disabled passengers treated terribly on X

do-over

We traveled with the Infinity to Hawaii on Oct 9, 2005. I was in a family stateroom and my daughter's family was in a sky suite with a bulter. My son-in-law is confined to a wheel chair. This information was relayed to X during the booking and then to their department set up specially for disabled shortly thereafter. We booked several excursion through their special personnel for the disabled.

A couple of days prior to the first port, we checked with the excursion people on the ship. They had no information about our excursions. We then checked every day. They finally hooked up with the special disabled excursion dept. but could not help. Our excursion was off. Since there were 4 of us and the excursion required 12, 8 other passengers had their excursion canceled the day before we arrived.

I then asked the conceige to arrange a disabled van taxi for the island. He told me to go to the dock and ask the taxis there if they had anything to accommodate us. I would need to get off early to check. When I told him that was his job, he then got back to me that a disabled taxi would be at the dock in the morning. We got off the boat and waited. No taxi. The head of the guest relations came down and told us, sorry someone else took our taxi. We later learned that she was tired of dealing with us and there was a disbled van taxi available but she did not want to help us. Two other disabled passengers were left on the dock.

Next port, same thing no help. Finally, I called a taxi service on Honolulu and made our own arrangements for that stop. We had great service from this company and the taxi driver was a great tour guide.

If you are confined to a wheelchair, make your own excursions. Do not trust X. To date they have offered credit on future cruises of 14 days or more. My daughter has a 7 day Alaska cruise scheduled in 2006 with them for 20 passengers. She would change it but with Crystal not cruising Alaska this year, there are not enough disabled suites available on other ships to change. However, we will not schedule another cruise with X again.

Our family is doing a 10 day Southern Cruise in January 2006 with Holland, not X, thank goodness. :)

Let me get this right: You cruised in early October, but you just joined Cruise Critic within the last week, and this is your first post. You complain bitterly that you didn't get special treatment for your excursions, but you say nothing at all about the cruise itself. Hmmmmmmm?

I took my disabled uncle on a Celebrity cruise to Alaska and we were astounded at the care and concern that was shown to him. It could not have been better. It never would have occurred to me to ask the concierge to arrange shore excursions.

It's a shame that there are so many bitter "first time" posts, because it really makes the rest of us cynical and jaded when a newcomer comes in with complaints. This is at least the second time this week this has happened, and I really don't like to jump down someone's throat like this.

I'm sorry to hear that the OP's disabled excursion arrangements were messed up like this. I see so many wheelchair and scooter-enabled customers on board Celebrity cruises that I just assumed that they have dealing with these sorts of arrangements well in hand.

Maybe they do, and this only happened on this one trip. However, it only takes one bad experience to spoil someone's trip, and having your excursions lost and then not getting assistance in rectifying the situation is pretty serious.

In this day and age of customer service (or lack thereof), it's always a good idea to have complete documentation of any special requests: when it was made, who handled it, contact phone and emails, etc etc. That way when someone else has to unravel the situation, they have some clues as to how to start to figure it out. You'd think that everything would just go perfectly, but problems do happen and mistakes are made, and when you're the one caught at the short end of the stick it's maddening.

I agree with the previous comments. And furthermore, although it is regretable that somebody is confined to a wheelchair, I don't think the whole world should be changed to accomodate for that.
I agree with you and Leela. Could the OP been encouraged to post after reading the other post dealing with negatives. I always question anyone who is a first time poster with a negative report. I know, many lurk here but don't post til they feel they have something to post about, but I still am leary. I also hate to see anyone judge an entire experience based on one positive or negative for that matter. NMnita

While stopped in Panama at Cristobal pier, the re-entry line became very long because the Galaxy staff were carrying a gentleman, seated in his wheelchair, up a very steep and long ramp.

We had to enter and leave from deck 5, due to the location of the pier. I thought that was wonderful; someone was able to enjoy what the pier had to offer. Without this caring staff, this gentleman would have been enjoying this stop through a window!

I deal with special services solely for my handicapped clients. As far as shore excursions are concerned, depending on the port,we either make arrangements independently, or as in the case of a cruisetour, arrangements are made for a wheelchair accessible coach.

I fault your agent on this, not Celebrity.

There are some ports.. especially in Europe that are just almost impossible.

I'm very sorry that you had some problems on your cruise. My husband had a stroke over 5 years ago and my mom is oxygen dependent, a diabetic and 88 years old. I've gone on cruises with both of them and our experience has been that the Celebrity staff have gone out of their way to accomodate my husband and mom. I also make sure that any excursions are either done privately or are accessable.

Please go on another cruise.

My daughter is totally disabled. We will be on Summit in Jan. RT LA to Hawaii. Here is what I expect from Celebrity: A clean stateroom, good food, friendly staff, a variety of entertainment, and a safe environment. It is MY responsibility to see to my daughter's care and well being. MY responsibility to see that shore excursions are able to handle us. My responsibilty to make sure she has a seat in the dinning room that allows others to get by us. I have seen handicapped people demand the almost impossible from staff. It is embarrasing. I do not want to get on the elevator first, just be allowed to take our turn. We are lucky. We can do for our daughter. Celebrity states in all their literature that guests must be able to do for themselves or travel with someone that can help them. I have never cruised before and know we will have a great trip. If at a tendered port they tell us they cannot accomodate us, we will stay onboard and have a really good time enjoying an empty ship. Now as to us getting a great big cabin, I really wish we did not need it.

Do Over, I am sorry you had problems and imagine you really felt slighted, but I do not think anyone would purposely deny a taxi just to make someone mad and have them complain. Good luck on HAL.

My daughter is totally disabled. We will be on Summit in Jan. RT LA to Hawaii. Here is what I expect from Celebrity: A clean stateroom, good food, friendly staff, a variety of entertainment, and a safe environment. It is MY responsibility to see to my daughter's care and well being.

What a wonderful attitude you have. I can tell your daughter is FORTUNATE in some ways.:)

I'm very sorry that you had some problems on your cruise. My husband had a stroke over 5 years ago and my mom is oxygen dependent, a diabetic and 88 years old. I've gone on cruises with both of them and our experience has been that the Celebrity staff have gone out of their way to accomodate my husband and mom. I also make sure that any excursions are either done privately or are accessable.

Please go on another cruise.

Maybe these people shouldn't go on another cruise:eek: !

Original complainer will do great on HAL. They are VERY good at handling folks who should probably be in ICU rather than cruising.

2 yrs ago we took the Zuiderdam. My 60yr old parents said they felt like spring chickens next to all the oxygen tanks, etc.....

Thing is, as a mid 30's guy......we were put off by RUDE old people EXPECTING royal treatment from staff AND other passengers but ya know what? We had a fantastic time on board because we WANTED to.

Don't expect Celebrity to suddenly make a 3rd world country handicap accessable for you.....if they could, maybe we should put them in charge of our government?

How bout that? Government delivering mimosas and french toast to you at home every day!

Maybe it was just a bad day - for the Taxi service people also.

They see a fare they take it.

The bad part was that the lack of other handicapped Taxis in the area.

So I think that you got drilled by the taxi people and the shore excursion staff not by the consier.

Interesting thing - and I have seen this time and again.

People complain to the cruise staff the consier and the front desk people about the shore excursions.

And there is the shore excursion staff desk right next to theirs.

The problem is that up until the tour is to go off - depending on who they have - they hold the tour open. Again Shore excursion staff.

What a wonderful attitude you have. I can tell your daughter is FORTUNATE in some ways.:)

My only personal comment is that on our recent Summit cruise we noted on several occasions the amount of effort that was made by the ship staff to accommodate disabled patrons (and given the average age on this cruise - say 70+ - there were a number of folks in wheelchairs, walkers, electric scooters etc) was constant and very apparent. It is unfair to Celebrity to blame the cruiseline if those operating excursions are less than responsive.

abby

My only personal comment is that on our recent Summit cruise we noted on several occasions the amount of effort that was made by the ship staff to accommodate disabled patrons (and given the average age on this cruise - say 70+ - there were a number of folks in wheelchairs, walkers, electric scooters etc) was constant and very apparent. It is unfair to Celebrity to blame the cruiseline if those operating excursions are less than responsive.

abby

As someone who has cruised with many passengers with varying levels of disabilties. I can attest that at times the assistance we have recieved has been excellent and well beyond anything I would ever expect and at others - has been below what is needed. Celebrity was fantastic with my grandparents - however we also put them into a suite so that they would have the butler to assist them with little things like packing and unpacking - and the butler was well tipped for it. I have also seen the other side with my mother who for the most part is able - except when it comes to ramps - her ankle just doesnt bend that way (or any way for that matter). Celebrity had a set of stairs set up which she can do, but they would not let her walk up the stairs. Sometimes its the little things and it truly just depends who is working at that moment. And that is the same no matter where you are - on a cruise ship, at home, at work, or at a resort. It isnt necessarily a problem with Celebrity, but more a problem with our own misconceptions.

I will say this.. I am sitting on the Zenith as I type this. There are a few areas that are lacking in access and the way the ship handles accessibility. However, Princess was the same. Some things could be better, some things were wonderful.

Here are a couple of things on Zenith we noticed:

-- NO WHEELCHAIR ACCESSIBLE TENDERS! There should be at least one. Princess has at least one on each ship. This allows a person to roll on to the tender rather than being carried backwards down steep steps. While sometimes there are still problems because of issues with the pier, it just makes the whole thing easier.

-- There is not much thought about wheelchairs in the design of the dining room and the seating area of the buffet. When the dining room is full, there is no way to get to many, many tables. On the Zenith is almost impossible to get toward the middle of the dining room without asking many, many people to stand. In the buffet they have these HUGE round tables blocking the entrances to the seating area. An abled body person is supposed to squeeze around those tables. Someone in a chair will not get past those tables if someone is seated there.

-- No designated handicapp seating in the showroom. If you do not get there early, you will not get a seat

Now, given the physical limitations of the ship, the staff was wonderful. They worked to make sure everything was accessible. When Ken went through the buffet line, a wait person walked with him and carried his tray thought out the line.

So, bottom line for us, we realize this is an older ship and will have issues. I am always aware of these issues in advance because I do my research. I always ask questions and plan, plan, plan. I always have a back-up plan in case of a problem.

On shore excursions, we do not go through the cruise line. I do it all myself or through my travel agent. I always have phone numbers ready in case there is a problem in port.

While I was typing this, the Zenith hotel director stopped and I let him read this post. He was well aware of the limitations of the ship and was appreciative of the kind comments about his staff.

Back to find the afternoon trivia event. :)

Hi folks,

Hats off to Runnerandme-what a great attitude:)

I recently retired from many years as a vocational rehabilitation counselor, and worked with folks who had a variety of disabillities. It is refreshing to hear from someone who accepts responsibility (as far as possible) for themselves and their family.

We have been on 7 Celebrity cruises, and, because of my background, I take an interest in how "handicap friendly" the ships and staff are. I have been most favorably impressed with Celebrity. I have also witnessed folks using wheelchairs being carried.

There is a wealth of information and assitance on the special thread contained in these boards, and I suggest anyone with any concerns should become involved in those discussions.

I am sorry that the OP had a bad time with excursions, and hope the rest of their experience was good.

OOOEEE:D :D Bob and Phyl

Guest Cookiegirl

I don't post here often... I'm more of a lurker, but I need to jump in. We were on the 10/17/05 Constellation cruise in a Sky Suite. My husband was in a wheelchair due to weakness and shortness of breath from chemo treatments. Karolina, our room attendant and Judas, our butler, couldn't possibly have done more to help us. Judas even pushed my husband to the Celebrity Theatre twice and helped us find seats... he was never asked, but he insisted. We had a table for two in the dining room and experienced the same care. As soon as the wheelchair hit the dining room floor there was someone there to take him to our table. In the buffet, they pushed him through the line and someone else filled his plate and carried his tray to a table. He was comfortable and eating by the time I'd find him. We left the ship at every port and we were assisted every time. The only problem I had at times was at the elevator with people who just didn't want to wait their turn--but in no way did we let it hamper our cruise.

I chose our excursions very carefully by communicating ahead of time with Celebrity. They were able to tell me how much walking was involved with each excursion and whether or not we could take a folding wheelchair on a tour bus.

The great care we received on Constellation was totally unexpected, but very welcomed and appreciated. They made every effort to keep my DH comfortable and see that we had a great cruise experience. It's hard for me to understand why people need to complain about everything. It's vacation -- enjoy it!

My DH & I have taken my 84-year old Mom who uses a wheel chair and has very limited vision on many cruises with us. We always book a WC accessible stateroom well in advance of our planned trips. This past summer, we did a pre-cruise in London, York and Windsor and 14-days to the Baltics. It's amazing how you learn to adjust expectations, and delight in some wonderful experiences. Many of the cities we visited were built hundreds of years ago, yet we managed to see everything we wanted.

Mom's thinks Celebrity is the best. No sooner were we off the elevator on deck ten for the buffet breakfast or lunch, when a steward immediately took Mom in her WC, helped with her tray and found the seating area she wanted. Our room steward, Menino, always knew when to expect us back from a shore excursion, and had hot tea and sugar free cookies ready for Mom.

I booked every shore excursion through Celebrity, looking carefully at the description of the tours to see if it would be OK with a WC. Some required creativity on my part, but we saw museums, parks & gardens, took boat rides, the Russian ballet, visited historic churches, palaces and dined in some wonderful old pubs. The only problem we had was with two young fellow American couples who demanded the front seats on a bus. Mom later got revenge when she "accidently" ran over one of the men's feet getting onto the elevator.

There was never a problem getting off or on the ship. Crew was always there to help.

We have cruised Alaska 6 x's, cruised Europe three times, transatlantic twice, Bermuda more than I can count, E & W Caribbean, Hawaii and the South Pacific. We will back on the Constellation in March.

If one is disabled, one expects reasonable accommodations and to be treated like fellow passengers. Do your homework before the cruise and enjoy your vacation.

Darcy

After reading some of the above posts, I was shocked and dismayed by others egregious responses. Responding that a first time poster should not complain is not only unkind, but is more annoying than the person complaining. A person wrote about the experience of his son in law who has a physical limitation. Excepting a positive cruise experience, their time was turned into a nightmare. As an experienced cruiser myself, I can also cite less than pleasurable experiences. Unfortunately that happens. That is what cruise critic is here for. To post both positive and negative experiences in order for future cruisers to make an informed decision about taking their next cruise. Obviously, what a reader could gain by the original poster’s comment would be the ability to take into consideration that if you have a disability or are traveling with a person who has a disability, you might need to be prepared to advocate for them or yourself.

Furthermore, shame on you who suggest that disabled passengers should not get ‘special’ treatment. It is necessary of cruise lines to make the proper accommodations for passengers with disabilities so that EVERYONE enjoys their cruising experience. Not to also mention that cruise lines are require to comply with ADA guidelines just like every other vacation industry to make reasonable accommodations. To the poster of the first post, I am extremely sorry that you received the feedback that you did from fellow cruisers.

Archived