Papeete to Los Angeles advice needed.

seaztheday1

I am sure many of you have done this itinerary or one that is similar.

I have it on hold for may 2018, on the Insignia. No Marina will not be doing that for some time to come.

Here is my question...

We have not been to Hawaii or Tahiti, this offers both, but is it really an amazing cruise? Isnt Papeete very expensive to get a hotel room for the night before departure? Arent most tours about snorkelling? Arent there all kinds of other issues with this itinerary?

I am playing devils advocate here and wanting others to tell me why this cruise is not to be missed.

Thank you everyone.

Edited by seaztheday1

I am doing this in 4 weeks...YIPPPEEEE!!!

I have planned some snorkel excursions, but also land ones.

In Hilo, we do Volcanos National Park. In Maui, a drive to the north of the island, including the lavender farm, cuz I never seem to be in Provence when it's blooming. In Kauai, a flight over the island. In Honolulu, we rent a car. We have been to Hawaii twice before, and I may want to snorkel in Hanauma Bay for the 3rd time!

I have a mix of land and snorkel tours in FP.

I am doing this in 4 weeks...YIPPPEEEE!!!

I have planned some snorkel excursions, but also land ones.

In Hilo, we do Volcanos National Park. In Maui, a drive to the north of the island, including the lavender farm, cuz I never seem to be in Provence when it's blooming. In Kauai, a flight over the island. In Honolulu, we rent a car. We have been to Hawaii twice before, and I may want to snorkel in Hanauma Bay for the 3rd time!

I have a mix of land and snorkel tours in FP.

We are doing this cruise January 2017.How are you getting to the Lavender Farm? We are docking into Kahului instead of Lahinai ,are you planning on renting a car? So far this is the only port O does not show any tours for . Any information is greatly appreciated. This will be our first time to Hawaii our forth to Tahiti.

Edited by Acrusa
spelling error

We did Regatta in 12 from Papeete to San Francisco by way of Hawaii, one of our favorite trips ever!

We were also on the '12 sailing on Regatta from Papeete to SF. It was a fabulous trip. We spent a few nights preceding the sailing over on Moorea in an overwater bungalow.....fantastic! But we love snorkeling, the beach and so on. Everything IS very expensive so go into it with that in mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

We did the late Jan. cruise on Marina from Chile to Papeete. I'm not a snorkeler or water person so I was a little skeptical of how much I would enjoy the ports. However, I had a great time. Not sure of your itinerary, but we had a few atoll stops where there wasn't a whole lot to do. However, I just enjoyed walking around and exploring, and some people did go on lagoon-type boat excursions to enjoy picnics and sunning/swimming. As a photographer, it doesn't take a whole lot to amuse me, so I was absolutely fine with the places we went. I finally did get to see underwater life for the first time - in Bora Bora on the AquaSafari adventure, which is kind of like scuba diving.

The scenery is beautiful, of course, especially Bora Bora.

It was not one of my favorite cruises overall, but I certainly did enjoy it quite a bit. We used Oceania's free air and were given a flight home from Papeete at 11 AM, which meant we didn't need to rent a room, eat on our own there, or anything else. However, before I knew our air arrangements, I did scope out hotel offers. While the beachy, resort places weren't cheap, I did find at least one very basic but adequate hotel right in town that certainly seemed reasonable to me - maybe $140 or so for the day or night. Much was made of the cost in Papeete, but it didn't seem that bad, although if we had spent more time there, I may have had a different take on it. Of course, our cruise did not go to Hawaii, so I can't comment on that part of your itinerary. I didn't think the prices were really outrageous wherever we went (Easter Island, Fakarava, Rangiroa, Papeete, Bora Bora, Robinson Crusoe Island, etc.)

About the only thing that was a little challenging for me regarding the French Polynesia ports was the relative lack of tourism infrastructure there. Some Oceania shore excursions sold out, plus in a few places like Fakarava, there were few organized excursions you could book unless you did it really early. Waiting until a month pre-cruise is a bit risky in that part of the world, I found.

we have a private guide in Maui...google Maui private guides, I'm sure you'll find lots! I told the guide where I wanted to go/what I wanted to see.

Would really appreciate it if you would post and let us know if you would recommend this tour company,when you get back. Oceania does not show any tours for Maui on there web site from Kahulu port.

We are doing this cruise January 2017.How are you getting to the Lavender Farm? We are docking into Kahului instead of Lahinai ,are you planning on renting a car? So far this is the only port O does not show any tours for . Any information is greatly appreciated. This will be our first time to Hawaii our forth to Tahiti.

If you haven't done so already, ask these same questions on the CC Hawaii forum.

You might want to check further on the lavender farm before you go there, as we recall lavender being a seasonal crop that won't really be blooming in January. There is a lot more to see "Upcountry" on Maui though, and Kahului is a more central starting point for all sightseeing.

We are in Moorea now prior to sailing Marina on Monday, 17 days to Lima Peru.

The OP asked about the hotel prices in Papeete, don't worry there are several mid range hotels recommended for an overnight stay, less than $150. We were at Hotel Sarah Nui.

Almost everyone who comes for the cruise spends a few days in either Moorea or Bora Bora. We chose Moorea, a ferry ride away. The resort hotels here are pricey but this is where you will want to spend money for a nice experience.

But we have been there four other times. It isn't the hotels so much for cost in French Polynesia, but it is eating and even a fruit drink that is not included. That being said, it is worth going. There is not too much to do there tour wise, but we have done private several times, and I would be glad to give you the name of the company I have always used. I am not sure I can post it on this board.

Ciraulo 1 at earthlink.net

We did Valpo to Papeete this past January on Marina. Looks like, in addition to the ship change, Hawaii has replaced Easter and Pitcairn Islands in that neck of the woods for Oceania.

We travel regularly from SF to Hawaii (Kauai next month) and I am convinced that Hawaii Is best done as a land vacation. We like Kauai best and - (apologies to the locals) - we find Honolulu to be a bit too much like L.A.

At Bora Bora, definitely do the tour(s) with Patrick (search CC or google).

Papeete has beautiful scenery outside of town, but you will find as much beauty and far more cultural/historical things in Hawaii. If you book the Intercontinental in Fa'a (about $15-$20 taxi from the Papeete airport) about six months in advance, room rates will be about $250/night or better (join free the IHG loyalty program beforehand for the best deal).

As others have mentioned on CC, alcohol prices are truly outrageous in Tahiti ($20+ for an uncomplicated cocktail). Hotel food there is expensive as well (over usual hotel food costs). About the only food that is reasonably priced is local beer and French bread.

Also, IMO, Air Tahiti Nui is pretty bad. Food is below mediocre, seating is very uncomfortable, blah, blah, blah.

If you've never done a helicopter tour, Kauai's NaPali Coast is the world's gold standard and worth every penny (far more than the sleep inducing rides over Alaska glaciers, where a ride in an old dehavilland float plane is the preferred excursion)

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

Has anyone done Air Tahiti Nui in Business Class from LAX to/from Papeete? Any other suggestions for airlines that go there? I know Air New Zealand and Hawaiian Air but they only have one rt flight per week and the days don't always match-up with the cruise itinerary. Air France is another one but I don't think their pilots are very well-trained.

Thanks for the info.

I also feel that way about Air France, have really no hard facts, just my impression.

One of the other negatives for me with this itinerary is that there are a total of 10 sea days, the longest being 5 in a row. On a small ship like the Insignia, there will really be little to do. It is not the Marina, although there is little to do on any Oceania ships. Yes read, walk, talk, eat, go to the gym, go to killer trivia pursuit, but very little else.

I also have one more question.

Some of you very kindly let me know that I can be in touch with you for information on organizing private tours, but with Olife, we get 5 tours included. I have always organized my own tours, so this seems very different. Are people still doing private tours when Oceania is giving them 5 included?

We took O's Air Tahiti Nui flight last year and there was an upgrade offer about a month before the trip. We jumped on it and paid a reasonable amount to upgrade to business. It made the long haul quite enjoyable.

Edited by Queen of DaNile
clarity

Has anyone done Air Tahiti Nui in Business Class from LAX to/from Papeete? Any other suggestions for airlines that go there? I know Air New Zealand and Hawaiian Air but they only have one rt flight per week and the days don't always match-up with the cruise itinerary. Air France is another one but I don't think their pilots are very well-trained.

Thanks for the info.

Air france is the best choice I took Tahiti Nui through the air program with O and they offered a limited number of Business class seats for $700 pp upcharge The seat is an angle recline to 165 degree not a lie flat but flying east to west its fine... but not as an over night The food in Business is excellent...very high quality was are the wines for the 8 hour flight. This is not offered all the time...have your agent inquire

Only air france offers full lie flat seats Hawaii is horrible seats, they recline 15 degrees and only fly once a week. I think that the Air NZ flight is a code share on tahiti nui... Basically its Tahiti Nui, Hawaiian or Air france I think the Quantas is a code share too... Air france has a great morning flight from Tahiti to LAX for about $1900 pp one way O will give you a $1000 aircredit plus you save $175 so for about $700 more you can have real comfort and service.

There are to my knowlwdge no other airlines from the US to tahiti..everyone does a code share UA delta AA...NZ,

All the rest are red eye departures.. I take the air credit, dont spend on a deviation and always take a cruise that either departs from Tahiti to somewhere else or ends in Tahiti. The round trip options are terrible

I have been 5 times and always avoided the rt. Jan 2017 there is a great 21 day LA to Tahiti that works to have a 3 day in Moorea and then take an air France friday or sunday one way to LAX That flight has excellent reviews.

Be advised...PPT is open air, has no lounge except for business and first class...in AC no shops, pretty grim There is a transit hotel across the street and a steep climb for about $180 a night

Thanks for the info.

We flew Air France last year from lax in businsess class and had a great day experience. I believe they fly 3 night a week or every other with the same plane turning aroundund and returning the next day.

But we have been there four other times. It isn't the hotels so much for cost in French Polynesia, but it is eating and even a fruit drink that is not included. That being said, it is worth going. There is not too much to do there tour wise, but we have done private several times, and I would be glad to give you the name of the company I have always used. I am not sure I can post it on this board.

Ciraulo 1 at earthlink.net

Thank you so much. The hold we have is for may 2017. It is on the Insignia. Comes with a promo of 5 Olife tours, no gratuities and free internet. So I think no private tours are necessary.

I am still not convinced that this is a cruise we MUST do. It still seems to me that the flights are not easy. I hate the flying, that is why we have not done Sydney, but I thought it was just tough one way, then from Lax it is not too bad.

The ship is small with little to do.

I can see that I am talking myself out of it.

We did LA to Tahiti on Regatta in 2011. Fabulous trip through Hawaii, Christmas Island (?) on to the FP. Because we had an overnight at the dock, we chose to leave that night thus avoiding the "where to stay tomorrow" bit. It worked beautifully. We stayed on the ship until evening, got a cab ride to the airport, boarded the plane for LA.

I can see that I am talking myself out of it.

The idea of where you want to go is a good one though. How about rethinking it by flying to Hawaii, doing several islands there (on land) and then flying out on a Saturday non-stop on Hawaiian to Tahiti to catch the Paul Gauguin for a week? In regards to a return flight, you could do as nvgal mentions above if you want a nicer departure from Papeete. Just an idea...