NCL Jewel (1st time NCL) Gazillion Questions

Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?).

Please feel free to share anything you think will be helpful...I'm on a 10-night Alaska sailing Seattle/Vancouver...only new ports are Icy Point Strait and Prince Rupert (familiar with the rest).

So here are my questions:

Any chance there's a music venue with classic rock music?

Heard NCL doesn't do 'formal/elegant' nights...true?

Are the shows good?

Do they open the bow for Glacier viewings?

Heard there's a "2nd beverage is $2" -- how does that work?

Is 'freestyle' dining a pain or do you like it?

Should we bother with any of the surcharge restaurants?

Is the Cirque show good?

Anything onboard that you'd call "don't miss it"?

Should I do the beverage package?

Is the internet worth the money?

Thanks much!!

Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?).

Please feel free to share anything you think will be helpful...I'm on a 10-night Alaska sailing Seattle/Vancouver...only new ports are Icy Point Strait and Prince Rupert (familiar with the rest).

Are the shows good?

Is the Cirque show good?

Thanks much!!

There's usually a party or house band that does classic pop and/or classic rock. NCL has pretty good live musicians! We think the musical / variety shows are good quality shows, and better than those on Princess.

There are no formal nights on NCL, and no assigned seating in dinner. You can wear casual clothes for all restaurants on all nights, except shorts and open toed shoes (for men) are prohibited in the dressiest places (there are two to three of them on board). There are no assigned dinner times. This is the major differentiation between NCL and other lines. You show up at the Main Dining Rooms any time you like and can be seated with your own party (or alone) with plenty of room between tables (as in, you can walk around every table). That is freestyle and we love it.

The specialty restaurants usually require reservations; if you're picky about when you eat and when you want to eat in one of them it is recommended you make reservations about 90 days before. We like Teppanayki (sp?) and Cagneys steakhouse, but they are certainly not up to par with Palo on Disney. They are "Outback Steakhouse" quality in terms of food in our opinion. The rest we ignore, unless we have a perk with the dining plan. Like the outrageous "free" policy on the beverage plan, the dining plan even costs you when it's free ... but it's only a few dollars a day.

"2nd beverage $2" may have been a special on board before, but it's not a policy (unless it's very recent). If you get the beverage package "free" you will pay 18% of the value of the package. I think it's something like $14 a day. At that price, if you have three drinks a day you could break even or come out ahead. The list price of the beverage package, if you're not getting it free, is about $93 per day including the gratuity, and I suppose you could drink enough if you try really hard (I can't imagine, but I'm a lightweight). NCL does not include bottled water, energy drinks, or specialty coffee in their drink package ... booze and fountain drinks only. And they only feature Pepsi products. My verdict: the drink package isn't worth it, but your mileage may vary.

The internet is pretty slow. It's improved over the days you wanted to stick a pencil in your ear, but it's still agonizingly slow in our experience. You can always sign up on board if you find people who say they have upgraded it and it's good. They run specials the first couple of days of the cruise.

There's usually a party or house band that does classic pop and/or classic rock. NCL has pretty good live musicians! We think the musical / variety shows are good quality shows, and better than those on Princess.

There are no formal nights on NCL, and no assigned seating in dinner. You can wear casual clothes for all restaurants on all nights, except shorts and open toed shoes (for men) are prohibited in the dressiest places (there are two to three of them on board). There are no assigned dinner times. This is the major differentiation between NCL and other lines. You show up at the Main Dining Rooms any time you like and can be seated with your own party (or alone) with plenty of room between tables (as in, you can walk around every table). That is freestyle and we love it.

The specialty restaurants usually require reservations; if you're picky about when you eat and when you want to eat in one of them it is recommended you make reservations about 90 days before. We like Teppanayki (sp?) and Cagneys steakhouse, but they are certainly not up to par with Palo on Disney. They are "Outback Steakhouse" quality in terms of food in our opinion. The rest we ignore, unless we have a perk with the dining plan. Like the outrageous "free" policy on the beverage plan, the dining plan even costs you when it's free ... but it's only a few dollars a day.

"2nd beverage $2" may have been a special on board before, but it's not a policy (unless it's very recent). If you get the beverage package "free" you will pay 18% of the value of the package. I think it's something like $14 a day. At that price, if you have three drinks a day you could break even or come out ahead. The list price of the beverage package, if you're not getting it free, is about $93 per day including the gratuity, and I suppose you could drink enough if you try really hard (I can't imagine, but I'm a lightweight). NCL does not include bottled water, energy drinks, or specialty coffee in their drink package ... booze and fountain drinks only. And they only feature Pepsi products. My verdict: the drink package isn't worth it, but your mileage may vary.

The internet is pretty slow. It's improved over the days you wanted to stick a pencil in your ear, but it's still agonizingly slow in our experience. You can always sign up on board if you find people who say they have upgraded it and it's good. They run specials the first couple of days of the cruise.

Thanks so much for all the info, fshagan! Really on point and helpful.

I think the only thing I still need to know is whether or not they open the bow for Glacier viewings? Important since I booked an inside (am solo and just couldn't swing the balcony price, but am considering an upgrade to OV).

I think the only thing I still need to know is whether or not they open the bow for Glacier viewings? Important since I booked an inside (am solo and just couldn't swing the balcony price, but am considering an upgrade to OV).

Opening the bow to passengers for Dawes Glacier is up to the Captain and the weather that day. There will be plenty of outdoor spaces for glacier viewing without being on the bow.

I will be a solo passenger in an inside cabin on the 9 September cruise and I am not worried at all about being able to view the glacier.

Opening the bow to passengers for Dawes Glacier is up to the Captain and the weather that day. There will be plenty of outdoor spaces for glacier viewing without being on the bow.

I will be a solo passenger in an inside cabin on the 9 September cruise and I am not worried at all about being able to view the glacier.

Thanks for the reply. Know weather will factor in, just wondered if it was standard (as with HAL) to use the bow for viewing. Am sure I won't miss the glaciers on our sailing, but there's so much else to see too. My first time sailing AK without a balcony...am already re-thinking that logic :-0

Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?). Really. Let's not start poking fun at your new cruise line experience in your first sentence.

Any chance there's a music venue with classic rock music? Not really. Depends on the guest performers on board. Nothing specifically designated classic rock.

Heard NCL doesn't do 'formal/elegant' nights...true?ncl says to "dress up or not." You could wear shorts to all restaurants at night except the aft main dining room and Le Bistro (extra fee) French restaurant.

Are the shows good?the nightly shows in the theater are pretty good.

Do they open the bow for Glacier viewings?caprain's choice. They will try to do it,weather permitting.

Heard there's a "2nd beverage is $2" -- how does that work?no such thing.

Is 'freestyle' dining a pain or do you like it?Similar to My Dining on RCCL. Just show up when you are hungry. It's great.

Should we bother with any of the surcharge restaurants?no

Is the Cirque show good?It is not a true Cirque du Soleil show. It is an NCL version. Not to be missed. NCL has true Cirque shows on their mega ships.

Should I do the beverage package?yes

Is the internet worth the money?yes, only if you need to stay in touch. You are in US ports most days.

Thanks much!!

Have a great cruise

Sometimes it's open, as people have said. You can get a full view of either port or starboard side on the promenade deck and be protected. Like the bow, it is closer to the sea on deck 7 (I think .... might be deck 6) The Jewel class ships have a promenade deck that wraps completely around the ship and is covered. That could be important if it is raining.

Are the shows good?

Is the Cirque show good?

Thanks much!!

I am going to leave some of your questions for others to answer, but I have a few answers for you.We have sailed the Jewel twice, love the ship. As for the beverage package, that depends on how much you drink: I can no longer imagine not having it. If nothing else it is a fun way to try a variety of drinks, instead of always thinking "oh this is going to cost thus and so".

Freestyle dining isn't all that different from other ships.Most all lines now offer it in some form or another. NCL was just the first. Yes, from time to time you will have to wait if you choose to eat at the busiest time, but so, that is the same as on land.

I am not sure how long it has been since you have cruised, but there are very few lines that will even still allow you to bring on your own wine, or not more than 1 bottle. NCL will still allow it, but if you have the drink package this isn't an issue.

The shows are outstanding most of the time. We do not go to as many as we used to but enjoy the music in some of the bars, the atruim and elsewhere at night. I will leave the rest of the questions for others to answer. Have a great cruise.

I have cruised on the Jewel twice. A great place for viewing is the Great Outdoors in the aft. It is wide open, covered, panoramic and best of all there is a lot less wind in the aft. Only difference is you see it last, not first. I was in an aft suite when we viewed the Chilean fjords and it was fantastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I just got back from my Alaska cruise on the Jewel and posted my review on here. For your questions:

Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?). I'm not sure

Any chance there's a music venue with classic rock music? I didn't see this. In the Martini Bar every day they had a pretty good singer with a guitar and she took requests, she did some Beatles and seemed to know a good variety of songs.

Heard NCL doesn't do 'formal/elegant' nights...true? No but some people dressed up especially on pictures night with the captain. They enforced dress code about men needing to wear a shirt with a collar. This could be even a golf polo as long as there was some collar. Just not T-shirts.

Are the shows good? I enjoyed the Tina Turner show, Cirque show, and one more but can't remember the name. But I missed Burn the Floor from The Getaway ship.

Do they open the bow for Glacier viewings? I didn't see this but I like to go to 13th floor where the railings were lower.

Heard there's a "2nd beverage is $2" -- how does that work? I never saw this.

Is 'freestyle' dining a pain or do you like it? I like it since we are never hungry at exactly the same time each evening depending on what we have eaten for lunch, second lunch, etc...:) For 2 people we never had to wait.

Should we bother with any of the surcharge restaurants? I always find the main dining room and buffet to be adequate for us. Especially because they have Indian food on the buffet and a Mexican night.

Is the Cirque show good? It was pretty good. Not high caliber but decent.

Anything onboard that you'd call "don't miss it"? We liked visiting the Spinnaker Lounge every day, they have great comfy chairs with panoramic views. Also for about 7 hours or so in the morning of the first sea day cruising inside passage is really pretty. We got up early to head out on deck. I also enjoyed the Q&A with captain and officers.

Should I do the beverage package? Ahhh, On the Getaway we didn't because we hardly drink. But the tab ran around $150 anyway and we were conservative. This time we got it and it was def worth it for $189 for both of us. Those drinks and gratuities add up fast even if only having a couple drinks a day or even adding in a few sodas. You figure at $12 a pop two drinks are $24 a day.

Is the internet worth the money? Only if you can't unplug. In port you can use your regular data on your phone so for sea days if you need to access emails and internet the cheaper plan may be worth it.

Thanks much

We were on the Jewel in May. Great ship, and had a fantastic cruise. The only thing negative was Moderno's, the Brazilian restaurant. The food wasn't good, and the service worse.

We were also very disappointed on the Epic's Moderno earlier this year. I just ate wt Fogo de Chao this week at home in Dallas and no comparison. I didn't see sushi on the FDC buffet either. We thought that was wierd on Epic.

I have cruised on the Jewel twice. A great place for viewing is the Great Outdoors in the aft. It is wide open, covered, panoramic and best of all there is a lot less wind in the aft. Only difference is you see it last, not first. I was in an aft suite when we viewed the Chilean fjords and it was fantastic.

As usual Donna is correct. The Great Outdoors is IMHO your best bet for outdoors glacier viewing. The captain will spin the ship so everybody can view and from TGO you get an unobstructed shot...and there is coffee, booze and food, "right over there" along with the cover and windbreak. IF it is too cold or rainy to be outside (it wasn't for us on our South American cruise and trust me it was COLD), then the Observation Lounge on the bow is the indoor spot I would recommend. FWIW, we have NEVER :mad: had the bow opened on any of our cruises - some of that may be because on the one where I expected it through the Panama Canal was aboard Norwegian Sun (Donna and my fav ship) and her spare propeller blades are stored on the bow and look sharp:eek:

We had the beverage package included for "free" on our last cruise...we enjoyed it, drank more than normal but as a PP mentioned, we also tried a number of drinks we wouldn't have if we were paying directly for it.

If you have the opportunity to get one of the large inside cabins forward on Deck 8, do it...they are huge and while there isn't a balcony, does make you feel like you aren't in a cramped inside.

Hi. We're on the same sailing so I'll watch responses here with interest. Just thought I'd let you know that the cannery at Prince Rupert will be opening an extra day for our port visit (last ship of the season) and there's a local bus out there that has also confirmed service that day. It's not offered by NCL but sounds interesting to us, and will make for a very economical excursion.

• 2 weeks later...
There are plenty of outside areas to view the scenery....I wouldn't spring for anything but a balcony cabin...an OV window gives you natural light, but it's not the optimal viewing place!

Started thinking the same and was losing sleep over this...just kept thinking I'd be kicking myself for not having a balcony...especially with 10 days of the best scenery ever.

So I DID IT sigh!!

Have a great cruise

Thanks for all the info, but please don't think I was poking fun...that "really?" was me being stunned :-}

Originally posted by MidwesternCruiser2 Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?).
Really. Let's not start poking fun at your new cruise line experience in your first sentence.

Not really. Depends on the guest performers on board. Nothing specifically designated classic rock.

ncl says to "dress up or not." You could wear shorts to all restaurants at night except the aft main dining room and Le Bistro (extra fee) French restaurant.

Are the shows good?
the nightly shows in the theater are pretty good.

caprain's choice. They will try to do it,weather permitting.

no such thing.

Similar to My Dining on RCCL. Just show up when you are hungry. It's great.

no

Is the Cirque show good?
It is not a true Cirque du Soleil show. It is an NCL version. Not to be missed. NCL has true Cirque shows on their mega ships.

yes

yes, only if you need to stay in touch. You are in US ports most days.

Thanks much!!

I am going to leave some of your questions for others to answer, but I have a few answers for you.We have sailed the Jewel twice, love the ship. As for the beverage package, that depends on how much you drink: I can no longer imagine not having it. If nothing else it is a fun way to try a variety of drinks, instead of always thinking "oh this is going to cost thus and so".

Freestyle dining isn't all that different from other ships.Most all lines now offer it in some form or another. NCL was just the first. Yes, from time to time you will have to wait if you choose to eat at the busiest time, but so, that is the same as on land.

I am not sure how long it has been since you have cruised, but there are very few lines that will even still allow you to bring on your own wine, or not more than 1 bottle. NCL will still allow it, but if you have the drink package this isn't an issue.

The shows are outstanding most of the time. We do not go to as many as we used to but enjoy the music in some of the bars, the atruim and elsewhere at night. I will leave the rest of the questions for others to answer. Have a great cruise.

Cruise regularly, but this is the 1st with a wine fee for in-cabin consumption for me. Won't matter now though -- I've upgraded and have the beverage package. And I'll follow your lead and try a few new things :-}

Am not a fan of anytime dining (creature of habit, I suppose), but if the waits aren't long, I'm sure I'll adjust.

Glad to hear you like this ship and the shows!

Will try to make it back there for some of the sailing -- sounds great -- thanks for the tip!

We were on the Jewel in May. Great ship, and had a fantastic cruise. The only thing negative was Moderno's, the Brazilian restaurant. The food wasn't good, and the service worse.

This is a good/bad for me. Used to love Fogo de Chao, but I gave up meet in January, so ....

Still, sorry to hear it wasn't enjoyable for you.

I just got back from my Alaska cruise on the Jewel and posted my review on here. For your questions:

Have cruised a lot, but this is my 1st time on NCL. Am seeing things that are different than the other lines (can't bring wine onboard for cabin without paying a cork fee, really?). I'm not sure

Any chance there's a music venue with classic rock music? I didn't see this. In the Martini Bar every day they had a pretty good singer with a guitar and she took requests, she did some Beatles and seemed to know a good variety of songs.

Heard NCL doesn't do 'formal/elegant' nights...true? No but some people dressed up especially on pictures night with the captain. They enforced dress code about men needing to wear a shirt with a collar. This could be even a golf polo as long as there was some collar. Just not T-shirts.

Are the shows good? I enjoyed the Tina Turner show, Cirque show, and one more but can't remember the name. But I missed Burn the Floor from The Getaway ship.

Do they open the bow for Glacier viewings? I didn't see this but I like to go to 13th floor where the railings were lower.

Heard there's a "2nd beverage is $2" -- how does that work? I never saw this.

Is 'freestyle' dining a pain or do you like it? I like it since we are never hungry at exactly the same time each evening depending on what we have eaten for lunch, second lunch, etc...:) For 2 people we never had to wait.

Should we bother with any of the surcharge restaurants? I always find the main dining room and buffet to be adequate for us. Especially because they have Indian food on the buffet and a Mexican night.

Is the Cirque show good? It was pretty good. Not high caliber but decent.

Anything onboard that you'd call "don't miss it"? We liked visiting the Spinnaker Lounge every day, they have great comfy chairs with panoramic views. Also for about 7 hours or so in the morning of the first sea day cruising inside passage is really pretty. We got up early to head out on deck. I also enjoyed the Q&A with captain and officers.

Should I do the beverage package? Ahhh, On the Getaway we didn't because we hardly drink. But the tab ran around $150 anyway and we were conservative. This time we got it and it was def worth it for $189 for both of us. Those drinks and gratuities add up fast even if only having a couple drinks a day or even adding in a few sodas. You figure at $12 a pop two drinks are $24 a day.

Is the internet worth the money? Only if you can't unplug. In port you can use your regular data on your phone so for sea days if you need to access emails and internet the cheaper plan may be worth it.

Thanks much

More helpful info.

Am starting to think that '2nd for $2' thing I saw (maybe on our roll call) is either not advertised or a thing of the past.

A good singer & guitar player works fine for me...but that just made me wonder: does Jewel (or NCL in general) have a piano bar?

The 13th deck & Spinnaker Lounge both sound like good places to check out. Just can't get enough of the landscape on an Alaskan cruise!

Wound up with drinks, and your logic makes perfect sense to me. Also will have internet, but mostly because I wasn't interested in the specialty dining or shore excursions.

Thanks again.

As usual Donna is correct. The Great Outdoors is IMHO your best bet for outdoors glacier viewing. The captain will spin the ship so everybody can view and from TGO you get an unobstructed shot...and there is coffee, booze and food, "right over there" along with the cover and windbreak. IF it is too cold or rainy to be outside (it wasn't for us on our South American cruise and trust me it was COLD), then the Observation Lounge on the bow is the indoor spot I would recommend. FWIW, we have NEVER :mad: had the bow opened on any of our cruises - some of that may be because on the one where I expected it through the Panama Canal was aboard Norwegian Sun (Donna and my fav ship) and her spare propeller blades are stored on the bow and look sharp:eek:

We had the beverage package included for "free" on our last cruise...we enjoyed it, drank more than normal but as a PP mentioned, we also tried a number of drinks we wouldn't have if we were paying directly for it.

If you have the opportunity to get one of the large inside cabins forward on Deck 8, do it...they are huge and while there isn't a balcony, does make you feel like you aren't in a cramped inside.

"right over there" ... I like that!! :-}

And I went ahead and got the beverage package (for "free" as you say) and will experiment (but still won't hit the daily max). Upgraded to a balcony today, but thanks for the deck 8 inside tip!

Hi. We're on the same sailing so I'll watch responses here with interest. Just thought I'd let you know that the cannery at Prince Rupert will be opening an extra day for our port visit (last ship of the season) and there's a local bus out there that has also confirmed service that day. It's not offered by NCL but sounds interesting to us, and will make for a very economical excursion.

Hey BunnieBear -- have seen you on roll call -- and appreciate the Prince Rupert tip. Meet you onboard and maybe we will see the cannery together!