Marano tips

garardo

Since Murano's cover charge is $50 pp, I guess it's somewhere between $1 and $50. Your guess is as good as anyone's. We always leave an additional even though it's not necessary. Since the dining staff the the specialty restaurants are the best of the best it stands to reason that they must do better there than in the other dining venues.

I have been in the hospitality industry for 50 years and we find the service at Murano some of the best we have ever had. Not only is the service technically perfect, the attitude and professionalism of the staff is 100%. I ask the question to be sure that they are well compensated. The dinner we have would cost over $300 just for the food here in Las Vegas so the $50 surcharge is nothing. We normally leave an additional $50 tip each night. The Sommelier will get an additional $10 to $20 depending on his knowledge and help with the food and wine pairing suggestions.

If anyone one knows how the $50 is divided up let me know.

garardo

I have been in the hospitality industry for 50 years and we find the service at Murano some of the best we have ever had. Not only is the service technically perfect, the attitude and professionalism of the staff is 100%. I ask the question to be sure that they are well compensated. The dinner we have would cost over $300 just for the food here in Las Vegas so the $50 surcharge is nothing. We normally leave an additional $50 tip each night. The Sommelier will get an additional $10 to $20 depending on his knowledge and help with the food and wine pairing suggestions.

If anyone one knows how the $50 is divided up let me know.

garardo

Quite a few years ago, we were in Las Vegas with cruising friends, and dined at one of the high end restaurants. The bill was close to $300 for each couple. And the service and food wasn’t anywhere near as good as Murano’s.

We all commented that at $50 pp, Murano was a huge “bargain”, compared to land-based comparable restaurants.

And we do tip additional.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Seems that the very best of the wait staff works the specialty restaurants. We give an additional gratuity each time, although they are included. To be honest, my wife and I no longer use the dining room. The staff tries real hard to mass serve dinner. As efficient as they are, there is some heat loss when the food hits the table. We do oceanview for fresh grilled items or we go specialty. This just works for us. Also we go to guest relations and have the auto dining room gratuities removed accordingly. Or you pay for what you don't use...

Seems that the very best of the wait staff works the specialty restaurants. We give an additional gratuity each time, although they are included. To be honest, my wife and I no longer use the dining room. The staff tries real hard to mass serve dinner. As efficient as they are, there is some heat loss when the food hits the table. We do oceanview for fresh grilled items or we go specialty. This just works for us. Also we go to guest relations and have the auto dining room gratuities removed accordingly. Or you pay for what you don't use...

Do you realize that the people who take care of you in the buffet are the same people who you remove the tip for in the dining room. Prepare for your flames coming up.

SO I should tip the dining room staff, maittre'd, waiter, asst waiter, sommelier, when we don't go in there the entire trip for dinner?

The Maitre'd and the Sommelier are not part of the daily auto gratuity. They are tipped out directly by each passenger at their discretion.

So if you are removing the dining portion of your auto gratuity I hope that you are separately tipping all the buffet attendants, the staff at the mast grill and Cafe el Bacio who attend to your needs through out your cruise.

We ate at Murano 3 times on our recent 11 night cruise on the Eclipse in December. Every time we tipped extra to the waiter and the sommelier. While gratuity is included in the surcharge price for Murano - the service was wonderful. We had the lobsters 2x and that is extra work for the waiter - so really well deserved. The sommelier was wonderful in findings several wines for us that we would not have normally ordered but really worked with our meals.

SO I should tip the dining room staff, maittre'd, waiter, asst waiter, sommelier, when we don't go in there the entire trip for dinner?

The daily gratuity also pays more than just the dining staff (stateroom attendants, back-of-house employees you never see). Are you really saying "reduce my daily rate by -$X" or do you remove the whole auto gratuity?

Thanks for all of the wonderful incite. I would be great full if any of my fellow cruise critic members could shed some light on the original question. Of the $50 surcharge, how much goes to the wait staff for their well earned service.

garardo

I seen the server that we had the prior night in Murano working in the Aqua Spa Cafe. I asked him about it and he said he is there everyday for breakfast and lunch except when they have the Murano lurch

Ocassionally we would see the servers from Blu working in the MDR or Buffet during lunch time.

One night we were up very late and walking past a dining area where there were many servers seated around the tables that had mountains of silverware in the middle. They were assembling and rolling them up in the napkins for the buffet.

Those that avoid the MDR are still using their services for other dining. They are also using someone’s when afternoon, evening or late night dining in the buffet.

As others have wrote that they feel that the $50 is a great deal compared to dining at a fine restuarant and that it is basically not replacing what you already paid for but supplementing for finer dining. The same with the auto gratuities. When dining in a specialty restaurant the tip that is included is then also a supplement over the cost of regular dining.

Thinking about it maybe on my next cruise I should tell my cabin attendant to skip a day or so and then dock him for it. 🤔. I don’t need the bed made and bath cleaned everyday because I sure don’t do that at home. 🤗.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Thanks for all of the wonderful incite. I would be great full if any of my fellow cruise critic members could shed some light on the original question. Of the $50 surcharge, how much goes to the wait staff for their well earned service.

garardo

I have to ask...why do you need to know?

I have never even thought about the distribution of tips. It wouldn’t impact my enjoyment in Murano whatsoever.

Delicious food, great service and sharing a meal with friends, is my only focus.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

From what I have read, the food and service is worth much more than the $ 50 surcharge. The gratuity can be added to the on-board account?

If you have OBC and add an additional gratuity in Murano or anywhere else on the ship it will be deducted from your OBC. If you have no OBC and add an additional gratuity it will be charged to your credit card on record. If you want to give an additional gratuity to a specific crew member it's best to hand them cash.

garardo

I don't believe anyone here has a specific answer to your question so far. It's thoughtful of you to be concerned. My guess is that since the cover charge is $50, the 18% gratuity would be on that, so doing the math, that would come down to $9. That would be split among the Murano staff (most restaurants have some sort of tip share system in place as well). I don't know, but I'm guessing that if you had a dining package or a negotiated deal and paid a lower cover, or ordered a pairing or premium priced item, the gratuity amount would be adjusted accordingly.