E-Mail I just received from Costa CEO

mscruisefanwoman

Dear Patricia,

I have a moral duty at this time to write to you, since you have placed your trust and confidence in us.

The terrible Costa Concordia accident has affected us all very deeply, involving our Guests, our employees and one of our splendid ships.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted by this tragic incident and to their families. Around 1.100 Costa Cruises staff members worldwide have been working tirelessly since Friday night to deal with this emergency: providing support for the ongoing search and rescue operations, assisting Guests and crew, and making the necessary arrangements so they can return home safely.

This dramatic and exceptional event, which appears to have been caused by a human error, should never have occurred and no such incident must ever happen again.

At this time we are aware of acts of heroism on the part of crew members who saved other people's lives regardless of the risk to their own safety.

The crew of the Costa Concordia acted bravely and swiftly in an extremely difficult situation and succeeded - despite the terribly demanding conditions - in evacuating more than 4.000 people in the shortest possible time: we are proud of our commitment and dedication to your safety.

Anyone who knows us is aware that Costa Cruises operates in full compliance with all safety regulations and that our internal procedures are in line with - and in some cases even stricter than - those laid down in international standards.

All our crew members under go specific training on dealing with an emergency and assisting Guests in the event of an order to abandon ship. Each member of our crews holds a BST (Basic Safety Training) certificate and all perform fortnightly ship evacuation drills. Roles, responsibilities and duties are clearly defined and assigned to handle any such emergency. The level of preparedness of Costa Cruises' crews is also periodically verified by Coast Guard authorities and independent classification societies to ensure that it is in line with the requirements specified in the SMS (Safety Management System).

All our cruise Guests take part in a muster/lifeboat drill within 24 hours of sailing, as required by international law. Costa Cruises has a computerized system enabling us to check that all Guests participate in the safety drill.

Also, in order to guarantee maximum safety, the number of lifejackets, lifeboats and life rafts on each Costa ship is determined based on the maximum number of persons that can be carried on board plus an additional percentage as a safety margin. Lifeboats carry survival kits with food and water, first aid supplies and signaling and communication devices. Lifeboats are regularly inspected both by Costa personnel and by certification bodies. All Costa Cruises ships are certified by RINA (Italian Shipping Register), built to the highest standards and equipped with state-of-the-art technology. We are fully aware of our responsibility to those who place their trust in us; the many expressions of appreciation that we have received over the last few days from Guests who have sailed on our ships and know our people are a great encouragement to us at this time.

The maintenance of your trust and confidence in us will be the best reward for our efforts.

With thanks,

Pier Luigi Foschi

Chairman & CEO Costa Cruises

'And yet, Sir, those rules and regulations and standards failed because of - your admission - 'human error'. One presumes you are referring to your Captain, the man who is ultimately responsible for the rules, regulations and safety standards on your ship. If you claim he failed, Sir, then the rules, regulations and safety procedures you cite were thrown out the window. Entirely. They did not exist when this accident happened.

While I am hopeful that this was a rogue incident, it certainly will not restore my confidence in sailing with your cruise line again, Sir, nor with any other company associated with Carnival Corp. until such time as this matter is resolved through the courts, and watertight regulations are put into place, ensuring that an accident caused by 'human error' - 'willful risk taking' in my book - can never happen again.'

'And yet, Sir, those rules and regulations and standards failed because of - your admission - 'human error'. One presumes you are referring to your Captain, the man who is ultimately responsible for the rules, regulations and safety standards on your ship. If you claim he failed, Sir, then the rules, regulations and safety procedures you cite were thrown out the window. Entirely. They did not exist when this accident happened.

While I am hopeful that this was a rogue incident, it certainly will not restore my confidence in sailing with your cruise line again, Sir, nor with any other company associated with Carnival Corp. until such time as this matter is resolved through the courts, and watertight regulations are put into place, ensuring that an accident caused by 'human error' - 'willful risk taking' in my book - can never happen again.'

Well I think just the opposite ........... good that we are all not the same.

I just think that in any position of authority you can think of, if you have 4,000 people under your care everything else in your life should be secondary. The captains and corporations complete focus should be on the passengers safety and well being, even if it means laying down your own life or making a smaller profit. Much was given to this man (and this corporation) so much should be required.

I have to frankly wonder how much of the information which has appeared on these pages in the past few days was (is) available to that CEO.

It sounds to me like he is writing in a parallel universe. It may be a nice fluffy PR CYA piece of writing, but for me, far from convincing.

Tell me HOW it happened and WHY it will not happen again.

I have to frankly wonder how much of the information which has appeared on these pages in the past few days was (is) available to that CEO.

It sounds to me like he is writing in a parallel universe. It may be a nice fluffy PR CYA piece of writing, but for me, far from convincing.

Agreed. That was spun by some corporate communication types and vetted by corporate counsel.

And I too want to know just what they are doing to assist people other than paying lip service/

And if in fact the company is paying the legal defense fees for the captain, what type of dog and pony show are they operating? He caused a billion dollar wreck with 11 and counting fatalities and they say he's at fault, but that's OK, they'll pay for his attorney. Talk about mixed signals that don't give any warm fuzzies.

Exactly correct . I phoned Celebrity today Jan 19th .I asked particular questions about passenger safety upgrading in the futre .No answer . Then ,I asked about Celebrity Century (a 17 year old ship ;which is cutrrently sailing R/T from San Diego to Hawaii . I asked what about the engines ,what about the wiring ,what about the piping ,ie .it is a older ship in good topical shape ;but who sees inside the engines & the walls ??? . Then ,I asked "what if " Century lost power 1300 miles from land in the middle of the Pacific .No answer . The No answer does not make us feel warm & Fuzzy:o .

We will not stop cruising nor stop traveling ;however, the cruise industry needs to tell the public how these tragedys at sea will NEVER happen again & no PR FLUFF;) . What they are/will doing about testing Capts & senior officers on a regular & timely basis to make sure they are fit to command these mega ships & intrust thousands of passengers lives to their hands:eek:

And if in fact the company is paying the legal defense fees for the captain, what type of dog and pony show are they operating? He caused a billion dollar wreck with 11 and counting fatalities and they say he's at fault, but that's OK, they'll pay for his attorney. Talk about mixed signals that don't give any warm fuzzies.

WOW, I did not know that! This is disturbing, especially if they will also be paying for his criminal defense lawyers.

To the person who mentioned that they will not take any of Carnival Corp. ships, that is quite a few of them. Eleven

There are still plenty of choices. It's not like Carnival Corp is the only cruise provider in the world.

I think that CEO should have addressed the problem more specifically. It's all generic stuff, talking about the high quality of standards and high safety blah blah, doesn't do all those people who died any good.

He is the CEO, isn't he ultimately responsible for the actions of his company? They have, or had at least one cowboy at the helm of a ship. What has he got to say about that? Maybe they should retest and recertify all their captains. Do something, until they do I will definately not step foot on one of their tubs.

I'd say Costa's hands are tied as far as paying for the captain's defense, it's probably written into his contract should something happen...

Even if that's so, it's not something you flaunt to the news media as it absolves you from your sins.

They are paying for his attorney because if he had his own attorney, his defense would point towards Costa Corporation as being complicit. Costa very much wants to provide the attorney...to protect themselves. He may not want the Costa Attorney whose prime goal is to protect Costa and throw the captain under the train....only time will tell.

Agreed. That was spun by some corporate communication types and vetted by corporate counsel.

And I too want to know just what they are doing to assist people other than paying lip service/

WOW, I did not know that! This is disturbing, especially if they will also be paying for his criminal defense lawyers.

Typically, many "high-level" employees have written into their contracts that the company will defend them against ALL criminal charges when the charges are the result of actions they took while in the employment of that company.

In short, they may be contractually obligated.:rolleyes:

And ducklite's reason, too (just saw that thought):D

First and foremost, our thoughts and prayers to all involved....

That being said, I guess I am just too much of an american because I was raised to believe that all are "...innocent until proven guilty". I would have to believe that only God himself knows EXACTLY what happened, and until ALL of the FACTS are brought to light, the captain should be given a chance to explain what happened that night and why.

To sit here and crucify the captain, crew, Costa CEO, Carnival, etc.. is just wrong in my opinion. Lets wait until the WHOLE truth is out and then make judgement.

Wonder if the cruise lines ever give captains a psychological tests? If not, they should. Some people are just not equipped to deal with stress & not equipped to make good decisions.

just as an aside, it would be nice if they gave car drivers psychological tests...there are lots of crazies on the road to hit you and me in our cars...I'll just jump the red light, etc.

I'm sure that the investigators and lawyers will find the answer to your question...but likely we'll never know...

the cruise industry needs to tell the public how these tragedys at sea will NEVER happen again

That is a bit like asking Every Airline to tell you that there will Never be another Aircrash!! or every Rail operator that there will Never be another Rail Crash .... :rolleyes:

I think that CEO should have addressed the problem more specifically. It's all generic stuff, talking about the high quality of standards and high safety blah blah, doesn't do all those people who died any good. He is the CEO, isn't he ultimately responsible for the actions of his company? They have, or had at least one cowboy at the helm of a ship. What has he got to say about that? Maybe they should retest and recertify all their captains. Do something, until they do I will definately not step foot on one of their tubs.

Agree with above and some other earlier postings. Just a "form" letter written by PR people to try to spin a bad situation. Doesn't really say that much of real substance. No real answers for WHY it happened. OR, what Carnival will do to make sure they don't put any more idiots in charge of their $450 million ships where people's lives can be lost.

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 57,832 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Archived