Norwegian Cruise Line Names New Ship Class Project Leonardo

LauraS

It appears that the rumours are true and that Project Leonardo ships are indeed variations of Fincantieri's Project Mille.

The first ship of that class is MSC Seaside which is nearing completion for launch this December.

It's interesting as while Carnival and Royal Caribbean have each had different classes of ships with variations among the lines, I can't ever remember a ship yard having the same prototype among different cruise companies.

They are similar...a little too similar, imo. Imagine Seaside docked right behind one of these NCL ships in Miami.

I don't have a problem with the design (I'm booked on Seaside) and will likely book on the new NCL ships if they sail out of FL. Let the name game and hull art competition begin.:D

Well, if I were MSC I'd be ticked. The ship is almost an exact replica of the MSC Seaside/Seaview with only minor adjustments on the bow and stern. Even the funnels are virtually identical. Fincantieri must have really designed an economically fantastic hull and layout with the Mille concept for two cruise lines to order nearly identical ships, and/or NCL got a great deal purchasing 4 newbuilds based on a prototype paid for by their competition. (The first ship in a series is always the most expensive.) Of course, NCL has a long history of capitalizing on other cruise lines' investments. Norwegian Sky was an incomplete Costa newbuild acquired by NCL, and Pride of America was partially completed by American Cruise Line before NCL snapped it up in bankruptcy.

The NCL version (Project Leonardo) is shorter than MSC SEASIDE, although both designs appear to be based off Fincantieri's Project Mille prototype. I'm sure Fincantieri created a few different versions to cater to different markets, and NCL opted for the shorter version. What appears to be sacrificed by being shorter is the glass covered pool forward of the funnel on SEASIDE. So it looks like one main pool for the entire ship on the NCL version. I'm guessing the forward pool will be reserved for The Haven, there is no glass covered pool because the ship is shorter, so that leaves one pool farther aft. NCL states there will be "infinity pools" located on the lower deck aft where MSC SEASIDE has a large pool, but I'm taking a guess here and thinking it will be nothing more than a series of oversized jacuzzis.

One of the great features of this class of ship is the open deck space. MSC seems to have maximized it with great open spaces and pools. I'm guessing NCL will place tons of "stuff" up there (aka attractions), taking up all the great deck space. By the time they are done you probably won't even be able to recognize the funnel, which is practically the case on the Breakaway Class.

I do love the bow on Project Leonardo though. I know a lot of people don't like that bow design, but it really appeals to me. AIDA PRIMA, CELEBRITY EDGE, and the new LNG powered ships from Carnival Corp. have a similar bow design.

Well, if I were MSC I'd be ticked. The ship is almost an exact replica of the MSC Seaside/Seaview with only minor adjustments on the bow and stern. Even the funnels are virtually identical. Fincantieri must have really designed an economically fantastic hull and layout with the Mille concept for two cruise lines to order nearly identical ships, and/or NCL got a great deal purchasing 4 newbuilds based on a prototype paid for by their competition. (The first ship in a series is always the most expensive.) Of course, NCL has a long history of capitalizing on other cruise lines' investments. Norwegian Sky was an incomplete Costa newbuild acquired by NCL, and Pride of America was partially completed by American Cruise Line before NCL snapped it up in bankruptcy.

Nothing for MSC to be ticked about. They bought an off the shelf design from Fincantieri, NCL did the same here.

I'm guessing the forward pool will be reserved for The Haven...

I'm not so sure. Look at that area at the aft, down low. That might be The Haven. In any case, it looks like they're making a big departure from the design of The Haven Courtyard on their recent ships.

1152x648

With so many innovative designs coming from Royal Caribbean, MSC, NCL, Celebrity, and no doubt Virgin it seems that Carnival is long overdue for something groundbreaking. Honestly, when was the last time CCL launched an industry-changing ship? Carnival Destiny in 1996? Everything since then has been an upgrade of that basic hull design.

Are any of the new LNG ships going to Carnival? Know they've ordered them for Costa, Aida, and P&O. Hopefully Carnival is working on a new, and truly groundbreaking design of their own. However, as long as the cash keeps rolling in from 20+ year old hulls they may not be motivated to spend the capital necessary for a new design.

I'm not so sure. Look at that area at the aft, down low. That might be The Haven. In any case, it looks like they're making a big departure from the design of The Haven Courtyard on their recent ships.

Anything is possible and that would make for a nice Haven, but NCL did already announce that the aft lower deck will feature a series of infinity pools. Probably just oversized jacuzzis to be honest, but I think they will be located in the area you highlighted.

I can't see why MSC would complain about the design....

MSC created their Yacht club.....similar to the Haven on NCL

MSC built the Meraviglia.....compare it to the big RCCL jumbos......if they were berthed together the difference would be the RCCL hull color. There is even a stern lounge almost an exact copy for cirque type shows. Original in thought and design....no.

As for NCL loading up the decks with diversions.....perhaps that won't happen. Rope courses do not generate revenue. Bigger vibe areas would be more lucrative.

As far as looks of this Leonardo, I gave up on external beauty when hull art was adopted and is now spreading to other lines. It's like tattoos for ships....part of the culture of today.

One other thought.....FDR stated these ships would be a better fit for more exotic destinations.......sounds like China. Then again there is India which is growing and the big competition has yet to move there with dedicated ships.

By the way Ernie, thanks for mentioning this project on the Edge board because I had not picked up on the announcement. Boy did I quickly watch the YouTube video. Another maiden voyage to plan on. Now to wait and see how closely the new Costa cruiser will copy the Aida Prima.

I can't see why MSC would complain about the design....

MSC created their Yacht club.....similar to the Haven on NCL

MSC built the Meraviglia.....compare it to the big RCCL jumbos......if they were berthed together the difference would be the RCCL hull color. There is even a stern lounge almost an exact copy for cirque type shows. Original in thought and design....no.

As for NCL loading up the decks with diversions.....perhaps that won't happen. Rope courses do not generate revenue. Bigger vibe areas would be more lucrative.

As far as looks of this Leonardo, I gave up on external beauty when hull art was adopted and is now spreading to other lines. It's like tattoos for ships....part of the culture of today.

One other thought.....FDR stated these ships would be a better fit for more exotic destinations.......sounds like China. Then again there is India which is growing and the big competition has yet to move there with dedicated ships.

By the way Ernie, thanks for mentioning this project on the Edge board because I had not picked up on the announcement. Boy did I quickly watch the YouTube video. Another maiden voyage to plan on. Now to wait and see how closely the new Costa cruiser will copy the Aida Prima.

I agree. Let's be honest, all cruise lines "borrow" concepts and ideas from one another. Also there are only so many shipyards building cruise ships and there are bound to be some design crossovers.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums