What is worse....

Scotico

Would like to know what do you all find worse....the pool chair hogs or those who save a whole row of seats at the shows.

On the last cruise we were on, there was a show my wife and I wanted to see. Went with about 15 minutes before the show started and found that every row was being held. After walking around for 5 minutes, we decided to just sit down in an empty seat that was supposedly saved. Lady walked over to us and said these seats were saved. I told her there is no saving seats. Her party shows up a few minutes after the show start and was pissed that we were sitting there. He yelled at the lady about why we were sitting in her saved seats. She just shrugged. 3 of the people in her party had to sit somewhere else in the theatre.

Now this is where it got interesting. Midway through the show, the guy leans over to my wife and said that she disrespected his wife. I lean over to this guy and tell him in a polite way that if he has an issue with us sitting there that maybe we should go outside and talk about it. He slithered back in his seat and that was that. After the show he was behind us leaving the theater. He met the other 3 guests on the way out and said "those are the spi*!s (derogatory term for someone who is hispanic) who took your seats. I smiled and his wife slapped him while storming off.

How does Celebrity handle those who save theater seats.

My wife is late to everything while I (after 28 years at FedEx) hate to be late. So, she sends me to the theater and tells me to save seats which I adamantly do not like to do. Usually, our daughter and granddaughter travel with us; so that means saving three seats. Then they stroll in 10 minutes after the show starts. It drive me nuts but, to preserve domestic tranquility, I do it and have not been beaten up yet!

I think Celebrity does a bad job with both kind of chair hogs. When I was on the Reflection in January, the pool attendants told passengers to leave personal items on the loungers by the pool to save them. They also said, if just towels are left, they will remove them. While I found a lounger in the shade, as I sat there for 1 to 2 hours, many of those loungers with personal items on them were left unused while others were looking for loungers.

For both the pool and shows, Celebrity should have staff there to advise passengers that there is no saving seats/chairs/loungers of any kind and in any way or they should start charging folks $'s if they want to save seats, at least that way if there is a chance of them losing money on an unused seat/chair/lounger that they saved, maybe folks would think twice about it.

Now this is where it got interesting. Midway through the show, the guy leans over to my wife and said that she disrespected his wife. I lean over to this guy and tell him in a polite way that if he has an issue with us sitting there that maybe we should go outside and talk about it. He slithered back in his seat and that was that. After the show he was behind us leaving the theater. He met the other 3 guests on the way out and said "those are the spi*!s (derogatory term for someone who is hispanic) who took your seats. I smiled and his wife slapped him while storming off.

That is disgusting behaviour :(. You were very magnanimous to be to able smile at that awful man.

How does Celebrity handle those who save theater seats.

I would be interested to know this also. Do Celebrity have an official policy on seat saving in the theatre?

My opinion: someone saving a single seat next to them for a spouse or friend - no big deal. Person may have needed to stop in the restroom, back at cabin or for a drink on the way. I've done that for my husband and vice versa.

But saving an entire row or 5-10+ empty seats for an extended family or group? Shouldn't be allowed unless they are paying to reserve them.

If I encountered an entire row "saved" and there were no other seats I could find, I'd sit right down and invite the person to find a Celebrity person if they had an issue.

I think most people undestand saving ONE seat and many of us do that. (Bathroom, getting a drink, running to room etc.). But any number more than that is just rude.

On one of our cruises, it was brought to a crew members attention that an entire center row was being saved and the crew member went and said no way. All the people in that area applauded.

I haven't been on a cruise line yet that doesn't say "No saving please".

My opinion: someone saving a single seat next to them for a spouse or friend - no big deal. Person may have needed to stop in the restroom, back at cabin or for a drink on the way. I've done that for my husband and vice versa.

Aboslutely agree, this is reasonable and acceptable.

If I encountered an entire row "saved" and there were no other seats I could find, I'd sit right down and invite the person to find a Celebrity person if they had an issue.

Personally I don't see why you should have to hunt for a seat because people are saving rows. Say my preference is to sit in the upper tier - should I have to take an empty seat down close to the stage because rows further back are saved?

My wife is late to everything while I (after 28 years at FedEx) hate to be late. So, she sends me to the theater and tells me to save seats which I adamantly do not like to do. Usually, our daughter and granddaughter travel with us; so that means saving three seats. Then they stroll in 10 minutes after the show starts. It drive me nuts but, to preserve domestic tranquility, I do it and have not been beaten up yet!

The worst are those that complain about both endlessly!

But saving an entire row or 5-10+ empty seats for an extended family or group? Shouldn't be allowed unless they are paying to reserve them.

Yes, a person after my own heart...

bon voyage

I think most people undestand saving ONE seat and many of us do that. (Bathroom, getting a drink, running to room etc.). But any number more than that is just rude.

On one of our cruises, it was brought to a crew members attention that an entire center row was being saved and the crew member went and said no way. All the people in that area applauded.

I haven't been on a cruise line yet that doesn't say "No saving please".

Completely agree. I have saved the seat for my wife but that is it. Now that I think about it, how to the restaurants treat it when you have a large table of 8 and only 2 show up while the others are late. Do they seat the 2 at the table as the wait staff waits for the others or do the 2 wait outside the restaurants until everyone shows.

I'm not a poolside person because I usually have a large veranda.

But, on rare occasions when I go to a show, I sit where I see a vacant one. If someone has the ba**s to confront me, I simply smile and tell them that I am NOT moving. This has only happened once.

Agree. My wife and I always get to the theater early and enjoy the pre-show entertainment of the fool trying to save multiple seats while trying to stop others from sitting down. :D I think it would be funny if one of the theater video staff would film the chair savers and play it on the screen so others could watch and laugh while waiting for the main show to start.

Edited by davekathy

MY OPINION exactly

We once saw saving theater seats taken to a whole new level. Solstice was new and we sailed from Ft Lauderdale over New Years - multiple groups of VERY LARGE familys - I'm talking twenty and thirty people.

You would walk into the theater and they would have multiple rows saved - people were getting into verbal confrontations and we were disgusted by the entire thing. It was very rude.

We sat in the back - so we could make a quick escape if we didn't like the show but if I had no place else to sit - I'd have no trouble sitting down and telling them the no saving rule. One or two spots - ok - 20 spots no!

This behavior and others (trying to bring their small children into the adult solarium to use the pool) was what made us decide to never ever again cruise during a school holiday.

Repeatedly announced prior to the show. Also often printed in daily briefing

Thanks for that, we usually show up close to show time so that may be why we missed it. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm quite surprised that people have the nerve to save rows of seats when announcements are being made repeatedly! :confused: I'm also surprised Celebrity don't have a staff member watching out for this kind of thing if only to avoid conflict among guests.

Thanks for that, we usually show up close to show time so that may be why we missed it. Maybe I'm naive, but I'm quite surprised that people have the nerve to save rows of seats when announcements are being made repeatedly! :confused:

Same type of idiots that use their cell phones during a movie in theaters (land based) and choose to ignore the request by the theater not to.

I just got off of a Princess cruise where the person greeted you at the door and asked how many seats. If you said 6 they explained that people needed to be there right now to sit in them. They really policed the theater. The theater is the worst to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Apologies, and I understand trying to keep the peace with family, but this is rude x2. First you are saving more than one seat and second they stroll in after the show has begun, thus disrupting those around you who are trying to enjoy the show.

I think it would be funny if one of the theater video staff would film the chair savers and play it on the screen so others could watch and laugh while waiting for the main show to start

This would be great...would love that! Sort of like watching the pier runners...except I always feel a little bad for those folks, as sometimes even the most careful planners encounter events out of their control. But multiple seat savers... umm...not so much.

I've never seen theater seat taken to this extreme. The most I've seen is 1 person trying to hold a row; in which case there are still plenty of other places to sit. I fail to understand why a group that large would feel the need to sit together during a show; especially if they plan on showing up right before or after the show starts... it's not like you are talking or hanging out for an extended period of time like at the pool. Sorry this happened to u OP, I would be livid. It sounds like you handled it well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums