Cruise Luggage

Firsttimer9

Yes, lock it. It will go through scanners. When in doubt what is in it you will be contacted by the crew.

If locked, and they need to look in, you will need to go to the luggage hold location to open it. After sailing.

I don't have anything in my checked luggage that is worth stealing, so I leave it unlocked. So I don't have to wonder where my luggage is and have to take time to go down and open it for them to check.

You can lock it but don't but anything in your luggage that you cannot afford to lose. In other words checked luggage is for clothes and toiletries, not cameras, jewelry, documents, electronics, etc.

Anything that isn't in your possession should be locked, whether there are "valuables" in it, or not. Not only to keep stuff from being stolen, but to keep people from putting something INTO your bags....lock your luggage!

If it makes you happy. I guess you are one of those people who have your luggage shrink wrapped at the airport. :)

The porters are not likely to try to smuggle something OUT of the US. :D

And if someone want into your luggage, they will get in.

Especially with so many people using soft sided luggage.

If it makes you happy. I guess you are one of those people who have your luggage shrink wrapped at the airport. :)

The porters are not likely to try to smuggle something OUT of the US. :D

And if someone want into your luggage, they will get in.

Especially with so many people using soft sided luggage.

I have to say .... opting to have your luggage "shrink wrapped" if it's available (and we've seen this option in Asia/Europe on occasion) is a great idea...Keeps your luggage a bit more protected from rips/tears/zipper busting open and general dirt and stains...those are the benefits we see....and makes us "one of those people".;)

Luggage locking is something I do on any international holiday BUT I always use TSA approved padlocks so only agents can open in extenuating circumstances. I don't wan't my luggage ruined.

The cling film (as we call it over here) wrapped case is common over here and in Asia and is a good thing to do. Its extra protection and security for less than a couple of quid.

Sure, if anyone REALLY wanted to get in your case they could. But a criminal is going to opt for the unlocked case sans clingfilm over the locked and wrapped one for ease.

Absolutely.

Our luggage is locked from the time it will be leaving our hands until the time we get it back.

BTW - from another similar post on this same board the real reason behind asking is this is the OP is curious about trying to smuggle booze on board.

BTW - from another similar post on this same board the real reason behind asking is this is the OP is curious about trying to smuggle booze on board.

This is the other post from the OP that LeaveItAllBehind is referring to - "how does cruise ships know if you have drinks or liquor in your luggage? Do they open your luggage? Can you keep luggage locked?"

DON

I have to say .... opting to have your luggage "shrink wrapped" if it's available (and we've seen this option in Asia/Europe on occasion) is a great idea...Keeps your luggage a bit more protected from rips/tears/zipper busting open and general dirt and stains...those are the benefits we see....and makes us "one of those people".;)

Then go for it.

I travel 8 - 10 international trips per year, many to not so nice places. Plus a couple of domestic ones. Never felt a need for shrink wrapping. And these days, seldom lock my suitcase. I do not put anything inside that I would greatly miss if stolen.

Wear and tear is part of traveling. Luggage is not lifetime for me, so I don't worry about it.

Also, and I've heard of the incident, where the teamster bag ape tractor driver dumping a load of bags in the drink at boarding.:eek: It MIGHT ( and having never used the wrap, so can't personally swear by it) keep your bag contents dry ! Of course, I wonder WHO is held accountable for this ? The port (whom the baggage loaders work for) OR the line, as they're the poor souls who have to try and explain WHY your non-waterproof suitcase AND contents are soaked with seawater. Either way, my wife would NOT be amused ! Ans it's an awful way too start a cruise.

Mac