Lots of Labadee questions

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Private Islands
Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:14 PM.
#21
511 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Originally posted by grandmarnnurse
Oh, yes! Very warm! The sun and weather was very hot! We always cruise in January or February to escape the blustery winter weather of Buffalo, NY, and have always had hot weather and warm Caribbean water.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Been there several times in January, and although I personally found the water a bit chilly, it didn't stop me from swimming in it. I guess if you are from Buffalo, the water might seem warm.
#25
Rhode Island
9,104 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by dfen74
Our first time visiting Labadee will be in March. Will the kids need water shoes or is it sandy throughout?
Just my opinion but I'd recommend water shoes. It depends on which beach you pick. Some beaches are almost complete sand but others not. Barefoot Beach is about the best I've seen but even there it can be a little rough on the feet occasionally.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Gregg



#26
Suburb of Buffalo, NY
665 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Krazy 4 Dogs
As everyone says, Labadee is beautiful! OP, it looks like you will be on the Oasis, so if you would like to guarantee a chair with a shady spot, you'll want to get off the ship somewhat early. Columbus Cove is very nice and you can take the little transfer boat straight across to it after you get off the ship. On your way back, you'll be close to the tram that takes you back to the ship. It stops in various places so you can get off to explore.

For the person doing the wave rider, you may want to check Amazon for waterproof bags as I don't recall lockers. They shouldn't be very expensive.

Enjoy!!
I didn't know they had a transfer boat to Columbus Cove.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#27
Suburb of Buffalo, NY
665 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
Originally posted by Krazy 4 Dogs
As everyone says, Labadee is beautiful! OP, it looks like you will be on the Oasis, so if you would like to guarantee a chair with a shady spot, you'll want to get off the ship somewhat early. Columbus Cove is very nice and you can take the little transfer boat straight across to it after you get off the ship. On your way back, you'll be close to the tram that takes you back to the ship. It stops in various places so you can get off to explore.

For the person doing the wave rider, you may want to check Amazon for waterproof bags as I don't recall lockers. They shouldn't be very expensive.

Enjoy!!
After a little search I found this, "The Columbus Cove Express is a tender boat that ferries cruise passengers from the cruise dock to the Columbus Cove area of Labadee. The boat ride is free and provides a nice water tour before arriving at the Cove. Wish I knew about this last time I was there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#29
Queens, NY
154 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Capt_BJ
there are some lockers .... I forget if they charged .... I'm sure they did. They are at the building where you take a little class b4 heading out on the PWCs
If they charge (and I'm sure they do) do they take bills or coins. Want to lock up stuff if I am in the water. Also is there a map of Labadee so I can get oriented before I arrive? Also how are the bathroom facilities?
#30
snow :)
10,150 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by bucky0926
If they charge (and I'm sure they do) do they take bills or coins. Want to lock up stuff if I am in the water. Also is there a map of Labadee so I can get oriented before I arrive? Also how are the bathroom facilities?



The lockers are located around the area, one set by zip line, another by jet skis, and I do not know of any others.

Last summer it was around $8 and was charged to your sea pass.

You buy a locker "pass" code for the day and can use it anywhere.
Hard to explain, you just dont get the one locker ......but can use them at any location, just with the one time fee.

It works.

Enjoy, we did

Love Labadee
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





#31
Queens, NY
154 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
Originally posted by Lionesss
The lockers are located around the area, one set by zip line, another by jet skis, and I do not know of any others.

Last summer it was around $8 and was charged to your sea pass.

You buy a locker "pass" code for the day and can use it anywhere.
Hard to explain, you just dont get the one locker ......but can use them at any location, just with the one time fee.

It works.

Enjoy, we did

Love Labadee

Since I'm not planning on doing any excursions I was wondering if there are any lockers that any one knows about at Columbus Cove?
#32
Michigan
1,568 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
The beach at Columbus Cove is sandy -- no water shoes necessary, unless you'd wear water shoes to ANY beach no matter what. (There's always the risk of the occasional/rare sharp stone or shell, but for the most part it's just sand.)

No lockers at Columbus Cove that I'm aware of. If you're really concerned about locking things up, I'd get a http://www.kyssbags.com/ that you can lock to the chair. Someone could still steal the whole chair, but it would be unlikely for someone to lug the chair with the bag attached without garnering a lot of attention.

With that being said, I've never felt concerned for my stuff anywhere on Labadee. I usually have my cell phone (for photos) and my Kindle in my bag, and a few dollars in cash for buying a trinket from the vendors.

While there's always the chance of an unscrupulous individual pawing through random bags, the overwhelming majority of the people at Labadee are just like you -- people on vacation. Because it's a private area with limited access by the locals, it's not like going to a public beach back home, where homeless people, drug addicts, and common crooks are loitering about looking for an easy score.

RCI employees wear their uniforms, and the local vendors in the straw market area are not allowed in the beach area at all, so either would be glaringly conspicuous reaching into a beach bag on a lounge chair.

There is no need for large amounts of cash or any need at all for credit cards, so the only real "valuable" that most people will have is a cell phone and/or camera. Put it in the bottom of your bag, put a towel on top, zip it up, and relax and enjoy your time in the water.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

RCCL Freedom of the Seas -- 04/01/17
RCCL Oasis of the Seas -- 08/27/16
RCCL Oasis of the Seas -- 02/27/16
RCCL Navigator of the Seas -- 12/12/15
RCCL Freedom of the Seas -- 06/14/15
RCCL Navigator of the Seas -- 03/30/13
Princess Dawn Princess -- 10/24/04
Celebrity Horizon -- Jan 2003
HAL Nieuw Amsterdaam (the first one) -- Jan 1987
Carnival Festival -- April 1982
#33
Queens, NY
154 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
If you are interested in locking up your things I can also suggest a safe called safego (you can get it on amazon). We bought one for my son for sleepaway camp over 10 years ago and have since inherited it. It works great (its the older model without the key-this one just has a combination). We put money, passports, seacards, cell phones in it with no issues. It is not big enough for my sony dsc hx200v or my kindle. We lock it to both chairs because as stated above someone would look suspicious dragging 2 chairs down the beach. Then we can both go in the water without a worry. My kindle is over 4 years old so if someone wants that they are welcome to it and I never bring my bridge camera to the beach because I don't need sand getting in it.
#34
1,168 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by bucky0926
If you are interested in locking up your things I can also suggest a safe called safego (you can get it on amazon). We bought one for my son for sleepaway camp over 10 years ago and have since inherited it. It works great (its the older model without the key-this one just has a combination). We put money, passports, seacards, cell phones in it with no issues. It is not big enough for my sony dsc hx200v or my kindle. We lock it to both chairs because as stated above someone would look suspicious dragging 2 chairs down the beach. Then we can both go in the water without a worry. My kindle is over 4 years old so if someone wants that they are welcome to it and I never bring my bridge camera to the beach because I don't need sand getting in it.
That's a very good idea! I will look into that!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


[IMG]https://clocks.cruisecritic.com/countdown.pl?image=Beach-2&name=grandmarnnurse&date=1-15-2
017&text=&ship=Norwegian Getaway[/IMG]
#35
Chicago, IL
171 Posts
Joined Dec 2015
There are going to be about 10 or more in my group. Some of us just want to relax in a cabana and others are talking about ziplining, parasailing, dragon coaster etc. So basically I'm thinking of reserving one cabana or bungalow and it could be a central point for our group. Is the entire area easily walkable or easy to get to by the tram? I don't want to get a bungalow, say at Columbus Cove and it be too far away for our group to get to after doing their various activities. I know the max people in a bungalow or cabana is 6 or 8, but I seriously doubt all of us will be there at one time. Is this going to be an issue?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature





Adventure of the Seas May 2016
Diamond Princess to Alaska May 2012
Monarch of the Seas to Caribbean Sept 1992
#36
Halifax, Nova Scotia
31 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
Bring a couple of dollars for the locals. I traveled with my mom and the first time I was there we were told we only needed our sea pass card. The locals set up 2 chairs for us and ushered us over, we did not ask them to, and then they just stood very close waiting for a tip for an extended period of time. It was very awkward and we wished we had brought some tip money.

Much better when I went with my husband and children. A couple of dollars made the whole day!
#37
DE
784 Posts
Joined Oct 2007
Originally posted by bucky0926
If they charge (and I'm sure they do) do they take bills or coins. Want to lock up stuff if I am in the water. Also is there a map of Labadee so I can get oriented before I arrive? Also how are the bathroom facilities?
i bought great "locks" for each family going on our July cruise. Your cell and money can fir into the lock, and it attaches to your chair. check Amazon travel accessories.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[/
#39
Upstate, NY
162 Posts
Joined Mar 2016
Originally posted by marty1950
Can we swim at Adrenaline beach while other members go ziplining? Gary


Yes, you can. You can watch them come in on the zip line. It is very rocky though so if you want to swim there, bring water shoes! I cut my foot on a rock there. I still have the scar!


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Allure of the Seas August 2017
Navigator of the Seas January 2018
Freedom of the Seas April 2018
Independence of the Seas April 2017
Oasis of the Seas January 2017
Anthem of the Seas September 2016
Liberty of the Seas May 2016
#40
1,429 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Can you tell me where these are located? I'm interested but I don't want it near the beach near the zip line took rocky!
Any advice would be great! Thanks!
quote=heatheranderson13;51861935]If you want the cover and a dedicated more private area then u pay the 45$.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums[/quote]