Complimentary boutique wine list

marinaro44

I think it's time we get to the bottom of this issue. When I look at the list of complimentary wines on the Azamara web site, it shows the same wines that we were served on our October/November Quest cruises. Uktog has posted that the rose has been changed and there is now a "Friends" wine, so apparently something has changed.

It would be helpful if people saying "today's wine was mediocre" would give us the name of the wine so we can tell if it's a new wine or an old stand-by and the opinion just reflects the individual's taste in wine. For example, if someone thinks the Bulletin Place Shiraz is just "mediocre," I'll know that reflects that persons taste but I'll also know it's still the same wine that I (and I suspect others) think is just fine.

But the best way to figure this out would be for Bonnie to get someone at Azamara to update the list on their web site so we get an accurate answer once and for all.

Here's the list on the web site this morning:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

Interesting point, I'll see if I can find wine lists from prior years. I'll also check if the published wine list has changed.

As I mentioned on another thread, the complimentary wines this November 2015 seemed the same as on our British Isles cruise in August 2014.

As I've read some of the posts claiming we've downgraded our complimentary wines (not to my knowledge), I've wondered if the palette of our frequent guests hasn't changed? I know mine does regularly. How does one 'control' for this factor?

Or another factor is that wines change year-over-year according to harvest conditions or even while aging in bottle. So while it may be the same wine as poured in 2014, eg Bogle Chardonnay, is it exactly the same wine in November 2015?

Interesting point, I'll see if I can find wine lists from prior years. I'll also check if the published wine list has changed.

As I mentioned on another thread, the complimentary wines this November 2015 seemed the same as on our British Isles cruise in August 2014.

As I've read some of the posts claiming we've downgraded our complimentary wines (not to my knowledge), I've wondered if the palette of our frequent guests hasn't changed? I know mine does regularly. How does one 'control' for this factor?

Or another factor is that wines change year-over-year according to harvest conditions or even while aging in bottle. So while it may be the same wine as poured in 2014, eg Bogle Chardonnay, is it exactly the same wine in November 2015?

This is why seeing the current (new?) list would be helpful. The list I linked to above is what I remember from at least the last two years. So the question is: Has that list changed.

As far as the storage issue is concerned, if it's cabernet/chardonnay day, I'll ask if another white or red is available, not ask for a specific wine. I think it's too much to expect to have bottles of 19 different wines available in every location for someone to choose from.

There's also one bad bottle in every other case. [That's a scientific finding I just made up.] I was at a restaurant last week and ordered wine by the glass. The first glass was excellent. The second one tasted corked. I asked the bartender if he had just opened a new bottle: yes. He opened another bottle in my presence -- and it was excellent just like the first. So the second bottle was just bad. This is an extreme case [no pun intended], but it's possible some of the issues people are reporting are just bottles that are a little less than optimal.

One wine that was definitely different on our Nov/Dec Quest cruise (Singapore to Hong Kong) was the Rose. At first it was the Perequita Rose listed on the web-site, this is a nice, dry Rose. It then changed to a very sweet frizzante Rose - a very different wine and certainly not to my husband's taste. The Perequita was then available in some bars for a day or two, then it disappeared completely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There's also one bad bottle in every other case. [That's a scientific finding I just made up.] I was at a restaurant last week and ordered wine by the glass. The first glass was excellent. The second one tasted corked. I asked the bartender if he had just opened a new bottle: yes. He opened another bottle in my presence -- and it was excellent just like the first. So the second bottle was just bad. This is an extreme case [no pun intended], but it's possible some of the issues people are reporting are just bottles that are a little less than optimal.

Except, of course, if they have a screw top or artificial cork. These cannot be corked (cork taint, not bits of cork).

Funny story, which does emphasises the point you make. On an Azamara cruise, having lunch in the sun at the back of windows, the waiter poured me the last glass from a bottle. It was so badly corked that I could smell the taint as it was poured. I said it was corked and the sommelier came over and confirmed my opinion. However, about six people must have had wine from the same bottle without noticing the cork taint. They probably thought it was just a wine they did not like.

From memory, though, I think most wines served on Azamara are screw top, although individual bottles may have faults other than being corked. This happens.

I've not noticed any structural changes to the list of included wines the past 3 years, except occasionally when they run out of a specific wine or have difficulty sourcing it until the new vintage comes out. For example, I have been on a cruise where, when the supplies were loaded on boarding day, the standard Perequita rose was missing. A completely different replacement rose was then sourced via a port agent in the next port - undoubtedly much to the dislike of regulars who tend to label anything and everything that's different as a cutback :)

This is why seeing the current (new?) list would be helpful. The list I linked to above is what I remember from at least the last two years. So the question is: Has that list changed.

As far as the storage issue is concerned, if it's cabernet/chardonnay day, I'll ask if another white or red is available, not ask for a specific wine. I think it's too much to expect to have bottles of 19 different wines available in every location for someone to choose from.

Some of the wines on the current list I remember from our September cruise but many seem new - the Pedroncelli Friends white that Uktog mentioned is on the list.

I've not noticed any structural changes to the list of included wines the past 3 years, except occasionally when they run out of a specific wine or have difficulty sourcing it until the new vintage comes out. For example, I have been on a cruise where, when the supplies were loaded on boarding day, the standard Perequita rose was missing. A completely different replacement rose was then sourced via a port agent in the next port - undoubtedly much to the dislike of regulars who tend to label anything and everything that's different as a cutback :)

That's my sense as well, Floris, but we've had several reports of a different rose and I don't know what this Fields wine is that uktog mentioned. This is why we need a current list, as the web site still shows the Periquita rose. I think everyone can understand using a substitute when some kind of glitch causes a temporary shortage or outage.

Edit: Thinking more about this, I do note a change. The New Zealand sauvignon blanc is now from Clifford Bay, not Kato. Interestingly, the NZ wines have had several mentions of praise in the course of this discussion. I enjoy both the old and the new. Here's a change that has not been perceived negatively.

Edited by marinaro44

That's my sense as well, Floris, but we've had several reports of a different rose and I don't know what this Fields wine is that uktog mentioned. This is why we need a current list, as the web site still shows the Periquita rose. I think everyone can understand using a substitute when some kind of glitch causes a temporary shortage or outage.

The Pedroncelli Friends White (California) is on the list and some others seem to be new. I don't, for example, recall the Cline Zinfandel?

The Pedroncelli Friends White (California) is on the list and some others seem to be new. I don't, for example, recall the Cline Zinfandel?

Interesting that the list is alphabetical until the last five, so perhaps those five are new and were added at the end for ease of changing. Clifford Bay sauvignon blanc must have replaced Kato, and has had positive comments in this discussion. Floris might be right that Periqueta rose may have just suffered a missed shipment and has temporarily been replaced. Could be this list is in fact current. I do recall a zin but don't recall the winery, so it could have been Cline.

Edited by marinaro44

Given the limitation that cruise ships would only stock wines made in large numbers and vinted to be as similar as possible year to year, Cline is an excellent choice for a Zinfandel. [Assuming we are talking about real Zinfandel, and not that "white" stuff.] I could happily drink that throughout the cruise (if they can find a bottle every day!)

Moscato sparkling wine is not on the list. Moscato is a sweet grape. It is not popular with my wine drinking friends.

It is not a rose. There does not appear to be a rose on board at this time but as they have just reached Darwin hopefully they can get supplies.

The Albariño white is still offered FYI.

Sent from my iPad mini 4 using Tapatalk

Edited by little britain

Also, the Stellenzicht Pinotage has been replaced with an inferior brand.:(

I thought it was just me! I agree; the old Pinotage was lovely, the new is inferior.

I have an idea that we also had a French Sauvignon Blanc, which was very inferior [barcelona-Miami 2015]

Interesting that the list is alphabetical until the last five, so perhaps those five are new and were added at the end for ease of changing. Clifford Bay sauvignon blanc must have replaced Kato, and has had positive comments in this discussion. Floris might be right that Periqueta rose may have just suffered a missed shipment and has temporarily been replaced. Could be this list is in fact current. I do recall a zin but don't recall the winery, so it could have been Cline.

We had the Clifford Bay last year from Mumbai to Athens and again on the TA last month.

It's our particular favourite and we generally had no problem getting it once it had been wine of the day, although on one occasion we were told it was out of stock, only for it to miraculously appear the same evening.

For those who have noticed a change, you are right. I have learned that going forward there is a 'buy local' emphasis which I wholeheartedly applaud, and hope you'll give a chance!

In order to better align our Guests' on-board experience with our Destination Immersion focus we will now be sourcing as much of our boutique complimentary wines locally whenever possible, and especially while the ships are sailing in wine-producing regions such as Italy, France, and Spain.

When the ships are sailing in regions where local wines are not available, we will continue to offer a selection of wines from around the world. This new approach means there will no longer be a fixed list of complimentary wines as the wine list will continually change.

The webpage that mentions our Complimentary Beverages has now been adjusted to reflect this change in direction:

BOUTIQUE WINES

Our current boutique wine list features a regularly changing selection of one red and one white wine by the glass each day throughout your voyage.

We source some of our boutique wines locally while the ships are sailing in wine-producing regions such as Italy, France, and Spain.

When the ships are sailing in regions such as Asia, northern Europe, or regions where local wines are not as common, we offer a selection of wines from around the world.

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/complimentary-beverages

Thanks Bonnie. That's an unexpectedly great explanation: not a cutback, but an enhancement of what makes Azamara special! Of course some of those locally-sourced wines will not appeal as much as some old favorites, but that's part of the adventure of traveling. [Now on my Norwegian Fjords cruise, I hope this doesn't mean: day 1, ice wine; day 2 ice wine; day 3 ice wine ... :D:D:D]

Interesting, but as none of the new offerings are Australian it is not quite working on Quest where the wine is ok at best, not nearly the calibrate of the past offerings

Glad though my earlier posts about changes are now believed and my palate is still on form and not changing

Bonnie,

Think this is an excellent plan but what a shame there appears to be no Australian products (according to UKtog who is onboard ) for your inaugural cruises to this part of the world.

I live in hope that a Prosecco may be included when we visit some of the glorious Italian ports.

Sadly that means none of the New Zealand whites.

I'm a big fan of the New World wines so this is not good news for me.

There was a NZ Sauvignon Blanc on the previous wine list and I hope that it will stay. As they say they are only sourcing wines locally in certain areas.

Azamara are currently visiting Australia and NZ for the first time. Hopefully they will take the advantage to bring on board local wines when they get to either Brisbane or Sydney. I am sure that many cruisers would be keen to try more "down under" wines.

There was a NZ Sauvignon Blanc on the previous wine list and I hope that it will stay. As they say they are only sourcing wines locally in certain areas.

Yes, that was the Clifford Bay. It has been very popular on our last 2 cruises with Azamara.

Lets hope that you are right. It will be interesting to hear from cruisers in the coming months as to the quality of the wines.