Currently on Silhouette -- anytime dining is a problem

WNCtourist

After 2 good experiences on Reflection with any time dining, this cruise is totally different and not good. Our first night we already changed our time to 5:45 and the line to get in with reservations wrapped past the Martini Bar. You can't reserve a time for the next evening after dinner; instead you must have called the previous day. Nothing available before 8:30 pm. Today, we called at 9:15 am to try for 6 pm tomorrow and we're told just to show up. When we said that wasn't working well, the host said that's how they were doing things. So far we've had 2 meals in the the dinner room and 2 in the buffet. No discounts on specialty dining either. Not impressed. We will be discussing with the appropriate managers.

Sent from my XT1254 using Forums mobile app

Sorry for your pain.

Sounds like the ship is full and a clamour for Specialty Dining, so no discounts.

Possible to change to traditional early seating for dining, if Anytime is not working out?

bon voyage

Same experience on Silhouette a week ago and for that matter, last fall. We’ve now gone to fixed dining as the system is beyond screwed up. There is a management problem on the Silhouette. The mdr manager visited many table# in the mdr but did not stop at ours the entire 20 days we were onboard.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Regarding specialty dining discounts, we were told that no more discounts are permitted during a cruise. If you want discounts, other than embarkation day specialty dining, you must now buy a dining package.

Regarding specialty dining discounts, we were told that no more discounts are permitted during a cruise. If you want discounts, other than embarkation day specialty dining, you must now buy a dining package.

We just got discounts (on Eclipse) earlier this month of about 30%, although on shorter cruises it is more difficult to get them. We were told that they could not offer as extensive discounts as before (last year on the same 14 night, we got 50% off at Quisine - this year it was 30%). They also continued to offer an across the board discount to everyone for the first night.

OMG, I also had issues on my NYE cruise on the Silhouette. The hostess was very nasty too. I complained to guest services and also on my cruise end survey. It was hard to make a reservation during my preferred time, the slots were always full. The cruise was wonderful though and the rest of the staff were so nice.

Well don't hold your breath for any positive response either on the ship or off. Somehow we ended up on Silhouette for several sails and the select dining was a hot mess every night on multiple itineraries. We had made reservations months in advance - totally pointless. We politely :):) brought this to the attention of the maitre d' who would make promises that were not kept. I mentioned it on my survey at the end of the cruise - no response. It hacked me off so badly I said no more Celebrity cruises. Well I have decided to sail them again next fall but this time we are going for traditional dining.

We were on Silhouette Jan 14-26 and experienced the same mess with select dining. We waited the first night for 90 minutes! And the hostess was snippy when I checked after an hour to make sure we had not missed the pager going off. After that experience, we were advised to make a reservation for the next night as we entered the dining room each evening. That seemed to work, although we were having to line up before 5:30pm and the lines on both sides were long. Once the doors opened at 5:30 the lines did move quickly. When we booked, early dining was not available, and we don't eat late. But 5:30 is not our preferred time. Previous cruises we have been able to show up around 6 - 6:30 and get a table. I did make a comment on my post-cruise survey.

We were on Silhouette Jan 14-26 and experienced the same mess with select dining. We waited the first night for 90 minutes! And the hostess was snippy when I checked after an hour to make sure we had not missed the pager going off. After that experience, we were advised to make a reservation for the next night as we entered the dining room each evening. That seemed to work, although we were having to line up before 5:30pm and the lines on both sides were long. Once the doors opened at 5:30 the lines did move quickly. When we booked, early dining was not available, and we don't eat late. But 5:30 is not our preferred time. Previous cruises we have been able to show up around 6 - 6:30 and get a table. I did make a comment on my post-cruise survey.
Thanks for the responses. We tried to switch to first seating fixed and were told it wasn't possible. There really seems to be a management issue on Silhouette.

Thanks for the responses. We tried to switch to first seating fixed and were told it wasn't possible. There really seems to be a management issue on Silhouette.

And the hostess does not take reservations for the next night. You have to call the next day only to be told nothing is available. Fortunately the rest of the cruise is better.

We were told no to a table for two in the fixed dining early. ( the first time we were not assigned what we wanted) But after the first night, we were given a nice table.

So, my advice is always check the second or third nights. The maître d's get a better idea of who is actually going to show up for their assigned seats by then. And definitely seats open. The table for two we got overlooked a part of the dining room that had two MORE open two tops ..open for every one of the 14 night itinerary.:rolleyes:

Does anyone know if the my time dining like this on the Equinox? (a cluster)

We were on the Silly last December but had late seating. Thinking I may need to switch from mytime on Equinox?

We had any time dining on Equinox in September and never had to wait. It worked perfectly for us.

After 2 good experiences on Reflection with any time dining, this cruise is totally different and not good. Our first night we already changed our time to 5:45 and the line to get in with reservations wrapped past the Martini Bar. You can't reserve a time for the next evening after dinner; instead you must have called the previous day. Nothing available before 8:30 pm. Today, we called at 9:15 am to try for 6 pm tomorrow and we're told just to show up. When we said that wasn't working well, the host said that's how they were doing things. So far we've had 2 meals in the the dinner room and 2 in the buffet. No discounts on specialty dining either. Not impressed. We will be discussing with the appropriate managers.

We are going on the Silhouette in March-Western Caribbean. Do you know when the chic nights are? Since the itinerary isn't typical- the first full day of the cruise which is usually a sea day and chic aka formal night- I "assume" the third night- but when is the second chic night? Txs

And the hostess does not take reservations for the next night. You have to call the next day only to be told nothing is available. Fortunately the rest of the cruise is better.

This is everything I don’t like about Select Dining. If they have it, I would like to just eat when we’re ready. No queues, no booking days in advance, no repeated attempts to book a time that works, no bing rushed through the meal so they can turn the table.

We got off last Friday from a b2b on Silhouette, 19 days and at in the buffet overnight except 1 we at the porch. Did eat lunch in the main dining room and the turn around day. We are not fancy people and do not need tablecloths and a long dinner hour. We were so happy with our first time ever on Celebrity. The grill cooks in the buffet were wonderful making our steaks and fish to order every night. The manager of the oceanview was a delight to talk with nightly. The head chef of all the restaurants talked with us several times and treated us to a dinner at the Porch. We can see why the Silhouette and staff were voted #1 for 2017. We have booked another for Jan 2019 on the Reflection. I'm sorry you had bad luck in the main dining room you should have joined us in the oceanview.

I'm pretty sure no escargot or onion soup in the oceanview. Actually we did eat several nights in the buffet, mostly out of frustration with the dining room. There are plenty of choices, tasty food. But as Celebrity allegedly wants to exceed my expectations, I did expect to be able to dine in the MDR without having to wait for over an hour after I had made reservations. By the end of the cruises it was clear to me that X didn't give a sh** about even beginning to meet my expectations. Can you tell I am still hacked off about this?!

Edited by suec12
added more words!

We were on a b2b Silhouette cruise for 20 days. Select dining was a nightmare. Many, many complaints. But then the first two nights in fixed were terrible too as multiple people assigned to same seats and a snippy person at the podium who finally told a few people he didn’t care. My husband suggested that they go immediately to guest services. luckily we had fixed dining assigned after last years debacle on the Silhouette but watched the horribleness occur each night on this one. No such problems on Eclipse or Equinox when we’ve done select.

No shrimp cocktail in the buffet so I feel shortchanged when dining there. I just can't get understand why Silhouette is so messed up and Reflection can handle it so seamlessly.

I know, it is too bad. I also liked sitting down and getting served. I did enjoy the food too. One night we did dine in the oceanview cafe. Perhaps the Reflection has better management in the dining room.

I booked 3 weeks prior to sailing and the fixed seating times were not available.

That seems to be the norm lately, but we’ve changed to fixed seating after we’ve been on board on two cruises, and they seemed really grateful, since Select was a bit of a zoo. We prefer late seating, and it was half empty. I think early seating was fully subscribed on both cruises.