Eastern or Western Caribbean.? Thoughts/preferences

Mattnvick

Having thoroughly enjoyed our first ever "dip our toes into the world of cruising" vacation on EOTS. We are now turning our attention to a 7 night sometime next year. Just wondered about people's thoughts/preferences on Eastern vs Western Caribbean itineraries. We are open-minded and although a big ship might be fun to try not worried about a lot of the activies that attract familes with teens as this next trip will be just the 2 of us. But interested more to hear people's opinions on what to do or what they prefer from the stops. Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel vs Nassau (which we have done, we missed Coco Cay due to weather) St Thomas and St Maarten. I would say we prefer doing things independently for sight seeing rather than organised trips. Just interested on what others like, don't like etc. That might help us with planning. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Mattnvick

Nassau is at the bottom of my favorites, but I enjoy St Thomas and St Maarten. We go a lot, but can find so many different things to do. I don't care for Jamaica either. Private island is ok, but wouldn't want to add it to an island I don't like. Cozumel is ok. I prefer the Eastern.

St Thomas, so places to do there, or we go over to St John a lot. St Maarten, I prefer to stay where we dock. We usually do the America's Cup and sail. Many places to shop as well. Just take a taxi or water taxi. Nassau is on our itinerary on our next cruise. Will make the best of it and probably go over to Blue Lagoon. You can also go over to Atlantis, but we don't have enough time in port this time.

Enjoy!

I have been on both Eastern and Western....

Nassau is just so-so. Not really special. St. Thomas and Maarten are awesome, great beached and shopping.

I really like the cozumel stop, that being said we always take the water jet over to playa del carmen to shop/eat/beach.

FWIW my fiancee were between the oasis to the east and the Allure to the west, we chose to go west mostly for Labadee (because we have never done it), and the fact that Ft. Lauderdale is much easier to get to than Port Canaveral when you have to fly in.

We don't get off the boat in Nassau. I prefer the Western because I LOVE doing Jamaica for a day at the Rose Hilton. That being said we do both and enjoy both. My advice, pick one then do the other the next year[emoji39]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Ditto, that! I'm not a fan of Mexico, so that wouldn't be my choice! I'd use the day in Nassau to lounge around a virtually empty pool on the ship!

That was our plan on our upcoming Eastern route but just looking at our roll call I think it might be becoming more popular to stay on the boat in Nassau[emoji53]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We've done both many times. Like each for a variety of reasons. First, I love Labadee. Not all that hot on Coco Cay, but it's still nice. I rarely leave the ship in Nassau. Just not a fan.

Eastern is my better choice. Love St. Maarten and St. Thomas. I think if you are into just wandering town, better choices. St. Thomas has good bars and restaurants. You can go to Megans Bay for a beautiful beach experience. Or many other things.

St. Maarten has fantastic beaches. Go to the Sunset Beach Bar at Maho and watch the airplanes land (check it on youtube). Go to Orient Beach for the day. Or rent a car and tour the island. Marigot on the French side is a beautiful town.

As for Western, I love Labadee. Just a great day on the beach.

Cozumel, for me, is fun. We go to Panchos Backyard for fun, food, and Margaritas, then wander down the street. But there are also plenty of beaches to go to.

Grand Cayman is beautiful also. Nice town, nice beaches.

Falmouth, not my favorite. Third world Jamaican town. We usually wander the shops at the port for a bit then head back on the ship. I have walked around town, and although the people as you exit the port are intimidating, I had no problem once I said no to them. It's an interesting place if you research it. But there are also lots of tours you can take.

So, like most, my favorite is Eastern. But you just can't really go wrong with either. Have a great cruise.

Eastern has a lot more port choices, but you really have to sail from San Juan to take advantage of this (or take a longer cruise). Your port choices are OK, but they tend to be like visiting Orlando rather than a foreign country. Pretty heavily developed and touristy.

We have done both Eastern and western Cruises and enjoy them both.

Eastern cruise have to go to St Maarten and do the speedboat tour with 7 marine charters (Capt Mike) Best day ever! We avoid any cruise going to Nassau. If we did go there we would enjoy a quiet day by the pool on the ship.

I also liked San Juan.

Western Cruise if you go to Cozumel we loved the Bar Hop! We have been to Mr. Sancho's and Nachi beach resorts. They were ok.

Also on the western a must is Grand Cayman and a trip to Stingray city! We have gone on Jet skis with Ebank Watersports.

Loved a day at a beach resort in Honduras.

Next up is Jamaica on our Sept. cruise and then in Feb 17 a southern out of San Juan!

Just keep cruising and find that next adventure! That is what we are doing now with the kids out of school.

Enjoy your next cruise!

JoeRum

Having thoroughly enjoyed our first ever "dip our toes into the world of cruising" vacation on EOTS. We are now turning our attention to a 7 night sometime next year. Just wondered about people's thoughts/preferences on Eastern vs Western Caribbean itineraries. We are open-minded and although a big ship might be fun to try not worried about a lot of the activies that attract familes with teens as this next trip will be just the 2 of us. But interested more to hear people's opinions on what to do or what they prefer from the stops. Labadee, Falmouth and Cozumel vs Nassau (which we have done, we missed Coco Cay due to weather) St Thomas and St Maarten. I would say we prefer doing things independently for sight seeing rather than organised trips. Just interested on what others like, don't like etc. That might help us with planning. Thanks in advance.

WE like eastern because of St Maarten.

My vote would be for Eastern, especially if you're looking at Oasis or Allure, mostly due to Nassau. Too little time and too early in Nassau.

I think the ideal is a B2B on Freedom class, east then west. You get Gran Cayman as a bonus, a day in Ft. Lauderdale, Coco Cay instead of Nassau, and two sea days at the end to "recuperate". For only twice the price.:eek:

Really enjoy St. Thomas and St. Maarten. Lots of good beaches and excursions. In Nassau, Cable Beach Melia Resort is a good excursion as is the Blue Lagoon if one decides to not stay on the ship. Also, the British Colonial Hilton has a day pass and is near the pier. In Nassau, good to do an excursion or day pass or stay on the ship.

What does everyone recommend for St Maarten and San Juan? We are with a large group but our little family is MH and I and a 7 and 3 year old (at the time). Would that Seven Marine tour work w/ the kids? Thanks!

St Maarten has lots of choices. There's lots of shopping/browsing you can do (Id suggest bringing a cheap umbrella stroller for the 3 year old). You can also do a beach day; lots of beach choices here. You can also take water ferries over to St Barths or Anguilla, but I don't know if those would be great options with little ones in tow because of the price and because of the travel logistics just to get to a beach that is probably less kid friendly.

In San juan there's also lots of options. If you're ship sails from there and you'll have a day to spend, you can go to the rainforest (you could bring small kids there if your kids are the type who like to walk and check out big snails and cool trees, but if they like to be carried or whine when they're hot or tired, this would probably be miserable for you). You can also do the bio bay canoe trip at night with the 7year old if one of you stayed behind with the smaller one. More family inclusive stuff would be touring the forts and the downtown shopping area.