Bag size (driving to port)

newberrie

I'm traveling with 2 kids on Royal Caribbean to Alaska. I'm thinking about taking one big bag (ebags Motherload) for all of us, instead of 2 or 3 smaller carry-on size. We're driving, so airline baggage fees are not a concern. Does anyone foresee any problems with this plan?

Bags that you carry on to the ship have to be able to fit into standard airport scanners. So standard carry on size.

Bags that you check on to a ship can be any size. There aren't weight or size issues like flying.

Relying on one huge bag means having to be able to store it in your cabin; you are also at risk if it happened to go astray or just get delayed for a few hours: that does happen. You want to have a change of clothes for each of you, plus any meds, tooth brushes, etc. with you in carry- on bag(s). Also, you should cross-pack -- each person has some things in others bags, so if one goes missing, he is not totally wiped out. Finally, I would far rather handle two or three smaller bags than one huge one, even by myself.

The porters will appreciate if you keep down the weight of the bag. I think their limit is 70 pounds.

As mentioned the bag will be in your cabin for the cruise. If it will not fit under the bed, the room will get crowded

There is really no luggage limit on the ship...it's only airlines that limit what you bring. Since you're driving, you have no worries about limits! So, bring several smaller bags, if you wish...that's usually easier than 1 great big huge bag!

Since you are driving and since there is no real limit do yourself a favor and take more then one bag for all of the reasons mentioned.

Also, do not put any valuables, medicines and other important items in any bag you check in and keep those in your carry on.

Keith

Since you are driving -- take smaller bags -- easier to handle for you and the porters.

Smaller bags makes it easier to put away items as you finish them throughout the cruise.

From the time our kids were small, our rule has always been that each family member handles his/her own luggage. This has always worked for us, no matter the destination or mode of transporrtation, and everyone has always had plenty to wear. On longer trips we do laundry.

I agree with others that more than one bag would be easier. But, you are driving and there are no real restrictions, so you are in that very unique situation where you can do what you want without any real worries.

Archived