Can anyone visualise any recrimination?

Sheps 1

Single cabin 3n cruise £499.

Book a twin inside cabin for 2. (£199x2)

Check in for the cruise stating that your companion has been unable to go on the cruise.

Saving £101!

I would not state anything unless asked. If asked I'd say I expect the companion to check-in later.

Remember that when you officially book the cruise, you need to supply both names that will be occupying the cabin. After final payment, names, passports, etc. information will also have to be submitted to the cruise company.

Count on the front desk notifying their home office who will call the person who did not show up.

Count on possibly getting charged extra to have that cabin alone.

Happen on a HAL cruise a few years ago.

Remember that when you officially book the cruise, you need to supply both names that will be occupying the cabin. After final payment, names, passports, etc. information will also have to be submitted to the cruise company.

Count on the front desk notifying their home office who will call the person who did not show up.

Count on possibly getting charged extra to have that cabin alone.

Happen on a HAL cruise a few years ago.

Who (and how)would they charge? For example, say you and I booked a cruise, and I no showed. How could they charge me? I never showed so they don't have my credit card/banking details. Would they charge you? That's not fair. Would they charge the CC associated with the initial booking? What if it was a gift from an unrelated third party? The card used to make payments? Which one? What if there were more than 2, which do they pick? What if I gave you all my money and you put it all on your card? What if the account was closed? If this happened to you on HAL I'd wager you got taken.

Do you expect applause for attempting to scam the cruise line? Do you imagine the revenue department of the cruise line is so stupid as to not follow up on the imaginary passenger? Do you imagine you are first to try this scam? Since the imaginary passenger would have to pay in full by a specified pre-cruise deadline, how do contemplate getting an imaginary refund? Starting a ponzi scheme would have a better chance of success. Or have you already tried that?

👏👏👏

If the idiots at the cruise lines are dumb enough to price the cruise this this way, they deserve what they get.

Just sign up your dear old mum as the second passenger and if the cruise line ever follows up she can just say she bumped her toe and couldn't go on the cruise with you. Or use your best mate but he had a hangover. (y)

What happened to me on another cruise line: A friend and I booked to share a cabin. She had to cancel at the last minute. The cruise line not only kept her money, but charged me the single supplement.

Fortunately, she and I had insurance, which covered not only her fare, but the single supplement for me. The guy who processed my claim told me that this is common practice in the cruise industry.

In any event, as Shorex noted above, you'll have to pony up at final payment, which is well before you board. And you won't get that money back.

I hate the misleading way that cruises are priced. I would never try or recommend what you are considering, but think there is a good chance you would get away with it once.

The ship might add £101 to your shipboard account for the "no show". The ship might also add more than £101 to your shipboard account, if the price of the cruise has gone up.

As Host Clarea said, I would keep quiet about the "no show" unless asked, then act surprised that she is not there. Do not make up a story that would lead to the police checking her apartment. Maybe something like, "The two-timing wench must have gotten a better offer."

Then hope the "no show" friend or family member whose name and passport info you supplied faces no repercussions now or on a future cruise.

Many of the responses from posters in the USA may not apply to the OP as UK regulations regarding how fares are structured and charged can be quite different. I don't believe the "port fees and taxes" are itemized separately (so response #12 continues that particular member's record of ineptitude).

But in the "anything goes, rules are made to be circumvented" spirit of this thread: why not go the extra mile and add "cancel for any reason, no questions asked" insurance to your mystery cabinmate? Not only do you save the 100 quid single supplement, you get the 199 in fare refunded too!

But back to reality: the cruise line ABSOLUTELY has the right to refare you at the single occupancy rate. Do they do it a lot? Usually not, because in most cases there is no money to be made. Here there is 100 Pounds at stake. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk--but to answer the title question, yes there is a risk of recrimination. Because just like wishIwerecruisin' above, a family member of mine had the single supplement tacked on when her cabinmate had to cancel at the last minute. [but it turned out that the insurance reimbursement the cabinmate received was actually a bit more than the single supplement (not including taxes and fees)].

Many of the responses from posters in the USA may not apply to the OP as UK regulations regarding how fares are structured and charged can be quite different. I don't believe the "port fees and taxes" are itemized separately (so response #12 continues that particular member's record of ineptitude).

But in the "anything goes, rules are made to be circumvented" spirit of this thread: why not go the extra mile and add "cancel for any reason, no questions asked" insurance to your mystery cabinmate? Not only do you save the 100 quid single supplement, you get the 199 in fare refunded too!

But back to reality: the cruise line ABSOLUTELY has the right to refare you at the single occupancy rate. Do they do it a lot? Usually not, because in most cases there is no money to be made. Here there is 100 Pounds at stake. Only you can decide if it is worth the risk--but to answer the title question, yes there is a risk of recrimination. Because just like wishIwerecruisin' above, a family member of mine had the single supplement tacked on when her cabinmate had to cancel at the last minute. [but it turned out that the insurance reimbursement the cabinmate received was actually a bit more than the single supplement (not including taxes and fees)].

In the spirit of your reply, I could tell you you're an idiot for talking about cancel for any reason insurance in the UK. Or I could politely tell you we don't have it here. Which would you prefer?

In the spirit of your reply, I could tell you you're an idiot for talking about cancel for any reason insurance in the UK. Or I could politely tell you we don't have it here. Which would you prefer?

So the second paragraph of my reply turned out to be fully in the spirit of this thread: highly speculative as to how to break the rules, factually inaccurate and essentially useless?

Par for the course.

But if your preference is to call me an idiot, you'll have a lengthy queue to join :cool:.

So the second paragraph of my reply turned out to be fully in the spirit of this thread: highly speculative as to how to break the rules, factually inaccurate and essentially useless?

Par for the course.

But if your preference is to call me an idiot, you'll have a lengthy queue to join :cool:.

Actually I would prefer not to call you an idiot, even if you are one. I was just pointing out that in paragraph 1 of your comment, you made a disparaging remark about the level of knowledge of a (presumably regular) poster, because that poster didn't know full details of UK rules. And then in paragraph 2, you proved that you don't know what you're talking about either.

It's called irony.