Just back from Celebrity cruise- Thoughts about packing

Beatin' the Heat

I searched for what to pack for Alaska to keep from taking too much. When I read that you have to be ready for all kinds of weather, it was frustrating, because I didn't want to take my whole closet. Unfortunately, it's really true. I also realized that there were some things I could have gone without. Here's my 2 cents...

1.Warmth- If you're going to be outside, on or around glaciers, you really do need to have long underwear or cuddle duds, in case of a cool day (temperature in the 50's). My husband and I did a glacier paddle and trek, a helicopter to dogsled, and a float trip around a glacier. We didn't use them to watch Hubbard Glacier from our balcony because we were somewhat sheltered, but you may need them if you're out on deck. It was very cold! We also used them on the whale watching because it was colder than on shore. We also used gloves, hats, and scarves on some of these excursions. We only had a rain jacket, but we used it, along with additional layers, such as fleece workout pants (me) or jeans (him) and a fleece zip-up jacket.

2.Socks- You need to bring wool socks (more wool, the better). One pair usually worked, though our feet did get cold when we did the glacier float trip. We each had 2 pairs. We wore one, but usually had another pair with us (except the float trip):( If you're on the ship or in town or on a bus, you can wear regular socks.

Why are layers important? Alaska weather really does change at the drop of a hat. When the sun is out and you're out of the wind, it can get warm enough to be in short sleeves. Then the sun may go behind a cloud, the wind picks up, and suddenly, you find yourself putting on a jacket. On our first day in Denali, it was warm. We were wearing long sleeves, but I was wishing for short sleeves. The next day, we went on the all day bus trip. I had on a 3/4 length sleeve shirt and my rain jacket. I just about froze and hadn't brought extra layers because I thought it would be way too warm for more than that, based on the day before. Besides, we wouldn't be outside much, right? That was a mistake.

Great purchase before our trip was lightweight nylon daypacks. Before we left for our excursions or sightseeing, we loaded it with anything we might need for the day, no matter the weather. Then, it was with us when we needed it. The backpacks also served as our carry on for the plane. We kept our cameras, binoculars, extra layers, snacks, water bottles, sunscreen, insect repellent in them. Great things to have! When it got warmer, we'd take off a layer and put it in the packs.

Oops... I got a little off track.

3. Shoes- We treated leather athletic shoes with waterproof spray. No need for hiking boots, because most outfitters will give you appropriate boots for what you're doing, if it's something extreme, like river rafting (they provide dry suits), glacier dog sledding, or glacier trekking. You need to check with the outfitter to be sure, but we didn't need anything except athletic shoes. I also brought a pair of Skechers relaxed fit winter booties. They were a great 2nd pair of shoes that didn't take up a lot of room in the suitcase. Walking around town or wearing on the cruise ship or boat trip was great. Our athletic shoes were best for hiking.

4. Nighttime clothes- This is where I would greatly reduce what I took. There are really only 2 dressy nights. They are the evening chic nights. I took a pair of black pants and dressy tops. They worked great on these 2 nights. I also took similar clothes (not quite as fancy) for the other nights. I took too much. If I was to do it again, I'd take a shirt (like turtleneck sweater) that I could wear at night with a dress up necklace or earrings. Then, I'd wear that shirt again the next day for a daytime layer. You could even wear it 2 nights and then for the daytime. I took too many shirts that could only be used for evening. One time of wear was a waste of suitcase space. It's true what I read. Everyone is much more casual on an Alaskan cruise. I also took a pair of glittery, high heeled sandals. Again, a waste of space, in my opinion. A nice pair of plain black flats that you can slip on will be much more functional, comfortable, and take up less space.

5. Pants- I also would only take 1 pair of jeans and a couple pairs of athletic pants. I had 1 pair of athletic pants. They were so nice for layering, easy to pack, and very comfortable for all activities. Mine were fleece lined, but you could have one pair that isn't fleece lined, in case of a very warm day. I wouldn't bother with shorts, as long as you have a pair of jeans that you could wear with short sleeves, in case it's hot. My husband and I also had a pair of quick drying pants that we took to pull on over other layers, in case of rain.

6. Shirts- 1 or 2 short sleeved shirts would be plenty, in my opinion. 3-4 long sleeved shirts would also be adequate and make sure at least 2 could pull double duty for your evening clothes.

7. Binoculars are a must. We invested in a pair for each of us- $80 for each pair. They weren't the highest quality, but they did a great job for us.

Our cruise and week on land was in June. This was what would work best for a trip like the one we had. We washed clothes after the first week and used them again for the second week. If you go in July or August, it may be a little warmer. If you plan to do most of your sightseeing in town or on a bus tour, you may not need as many warm weather clothes. Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Great post! We have studied and read similar so I think we are Ok with what we planned for our set sail date in two weeks but definitely appreciate the reassurance that we are on the right track. I will pass it along to those traveling with us. Of course, I am hoping that it gets a little warmer but based on your advice and that of others, we will be prepared!

Thanks for posting this! We will be doing the Alaska cruise in September and are prepared for the layering effect. I know that Alaska cruises are less formal, so that helps with packing too. Hope you enjoyed your cruise!

We were on a Princess cruisetour from May 23-June 6, temps were in the 50s/60s. I never wore the knit hat & gloves I brought (but we didn't do any glacier trips, either). I had a fleece and my Gortex rainjacket. Wore my cuddleduds top in Glacier Bay, also had a couple fleece tops I wore on other days. Brought one short sleeve shirt but didn't wear it. We did bring dressier clothes for the ship. Packed DH's sport coat and khaki pants, along with my one (jersey-type) dress and shoes for both of us, in a carry on that went to the ship. My "good" capris and 3 tops did not take up much space in my suitcase. We both managed to keep our suitcase weight around 42 pounds. I probably could have taken a couple less daytime shirts, but I like to have options :)

Sent from my SM-G930R6 using Forums mobile app

OP where do you live, for comparison sake? We live in Minnesota and while 50-60 degrees in the summer is "cool" for us, it's by no means freezing. In fact, we rather enjoy the jeans and sweatshirt weather with no humidity. It's all about perspective.

I absolutely appreciate the dinner clothing comments. I think this is what I struggle with the most.

Great point. We live in Texas, which tends to be a lot warmer than Minnesota. You'll probably be more comfortable in cooler temperatures. I also didn't think I'd be cold in 50-60 temp., since I tend to be hot natured, but somehow it seemed cooler than that. Maybe it was the wind coming off the cold water or glacier. Anyway, the only time we were too hot in our long sleeves was on the very sunny, no wind day when we arrived in Denali. Again, it depends on what you're doing, too. If you're spending little time outside and sheltered by buildings or thick vegetation, you may not get as cool.

Thanks for the great info!!! Did you do your land tour thru Celebrity? Would like to hear more info about that too.

I planned the land portion myself. It took a lot of planning, but I ended up loving how it turned out. Happy to share, if you have any questions.

I think people use cruises as an opportunity to clothes shop! especially with an Alaska cruise. Boggles my mind how people can fill 2 suitcases and a carryon.

Please post a trip report about your cruise. The land portion will be especially helpful since people seem to get overwhelmed by the thought of it.

I think people use cruises as an opportunity to clothes shop! especially with an Alaska cruise. Boggles my mind how people can fill 2 suitcases and a carryon.

Please post a trip report about your cruise. The land portion will be especially helpful since people seem to get overwhelmed by the thought of it.

Will do. I've got to finish the laundry and go grocery shopping first. Back to real life. :rolleyes:

We're leaving Thursday for 11 day denali/cruise. I had put aside a lot of clothes, I've since removed about half of what I'd originally planned and will use the unlimited laundry on the ship. That means we need about 4 days worth of various layers

Do you really think it's necessary for each person to have binoculars? They seem expensive and I don't think I will use them after the cruise. I wondering if one would be good enough and we can share

There are a few threads regarding this. As someone pointed out, if you have the binocs and see something, pass them to someone else, by the time they look, it's gone. You can get some that are reasonably priced and/or small enough to not be bulky

I think the fact that you are from Texas makes you more sensitive to the cold. I would never wear long underwear in 50-60 F weather. I always do take shorts and wear them. I like short sleeved shirts for most days, but do layer with something warmer if needed. I usually only wear wool socks on glacier sailing days, but take a couple of pairs just in case. They would be way too hot for me most days, and if my feet are hot, I'm hot and miserable.

I do agree to minimize dressy clothes, wear sneakers instead of hiking shoes/boots unless you are really hiking, and have binoculars for each person.

I actually think "shoes that are comfortable for the type of activities you plan to do" covers it best. I personally don't find most sneakers comfortable and prefer a sturdier hiking shoes. That's my feet ;-) At the same time, as others have noted recently, you don't have to shop for a new wardrobe either.

I am a SO Cal native and this May only took a carry on..things I took that I never needed umbrella, ponchos,wool socks, gloves,water proof pts(this is about the 5th cold weather cruise I have taken them on but have never used them).

Things I did use hiking boots, both a coat & jacket, scarf, wool billy jack brimmed hat, pair of leggings under my jeans, on our rainy day.

Re: binoculars...I expected everyone to have a pair with all the posts on CC.....that certainly was not the case on our sailing...one pair was plenty between the 2 of us and probably only 1 in 20 had them on the ship for viewing, I suppose on certain excursions everyone probably had a pair but not on ours.

Our temps 40-low 60's, we did have rain. Our RT Seattle cruise was warmer than some Pacific Coastals(wind) I have done from San Pedro.

Our excursions.....Float plane & Taku Lodge, Chilkoot Hike & River Float and snorkeling in Ketchikan.

The coldest I was during the trip was when I watched the 10:15 showing of MUTS, my toes were cold so should have put on those wool socks.

I planned the land portion myself. It took a lot of planning' date=' but I ended up loving how it turned out. Happy to share, if you have any questions.[/quote']

Would love to hear where you went, and the different things you did. And of course, any restaurant recommendations! Thanks for sharing!!

I ALWAYS have that much luggage no matter what cruise I go on! lol. With us doing 8 days on a DIY land tour first and then 7 days on the ship, I will probably have at least 2 checked and 2 carry ons . I never worry about it, I like choices and I pack what I want.

I researched forever to plan our land portion since we are doing it ourselves. All of our trips have been Caribbean cruises so this was way different for me this time. Fortunately, we live in WI so we have all the cold/cool weather clothes we need. I did not buy anything at all for this trip other than a good all weather jacket for both of us. Mine has a removable fleece liner so I only need to bring one coat.

I will bring cuddle duds, but if the weather is in the 50's I certainly will not need them. Here at home, I do not wear them unless it's 20 or colder. I never wear a hat, I hate them. but I do have some ear muffs that i will bring along just in case. We have plenty of layering clothes.

We are only taking one pair of binoculars along. We will share them. My hubby will have his camera most of the time. He will take a ton of pictures.

We originally were going to go on this trip 13 yrs ago and had to cancel, so it is finally going to be a reality in 9 weeks. He is super excited. This is his bucket list trip so I am happy to give that to him.

Would love to hear where you went, and the different things you did. And of course, any restaurant recommendations! Thanks for sharing!!

We sailed North from Vancouver to Seward on Celebrity with port stops in Ketchikan, Icy Strait, Juneau, and Skagway. I knew we would also do a week on land, so I researched the areas where we would be on land and sea and decided all activities we would want to do. Then, I studied about the best reviewed, most "bang for your buck" that occurred in multiple places. If there was something that happened on land, as well as in port, I would save it for the land portion, freeing up time in port for another activity that I also wanted to do. I also learned which areas were known to be best for which activity, and tried to make sure we did it in that location. That worked out well. I planned and booked all shore excursions on my own so I could organize an itinerary that would be best for us and I would know who the outfitters were to call them directly with any questions I might have.

Ketchikan- Misty Fjords flightseeing with bear viewing- Alaska Seaplanes- Ryan happened to know about an area that was a little farther out from where other tours usually go. He knew that there were some brown bear that were usually out there. Sure enough, we got to watch one and take photos for at least 1/2 an hour. We were the only ones out there!

Icy Strait- This is the place for the whale watching tours. It's also quite good for seeing bears, but we had already done that in Ketchikan. There's also a popular zipline, but we've gone on a similar ziipline in Vermont at a ski resort, so we wanted our zipline to be in a canopy forest. We did whale watching with Wind Charters. Shawn worked pretty hard to make sure we saw as many whales and other marine life as possible during our time on the water. He would move the boat from place to place to make sure. Only 6 passengers and the boat had great views from many different places. We saw many whales, otters, and other marine life. It was cold on the water and we needed more warm clothes to stay outside the cabin. If you stay inside, you don't need as much.

Juneau- Mendenhall Glacier and dogsledding are the things here, but I knew I could do the dogsledding during our land portion and I wanted to get up close to the glacier so we did the canoe/glacier trek with Above and Beyond. It was a very warm day in Juneau that day, but it was cold on the glacier, even with the sun out the whole time. We had our layers and Cuddle Duds/Long Underwear. We got pretty warm on the canoe and on the beach, but were comfortable with extra clothes when we were hiking on the glacier. Since it was so warm, we probably would have been fine without them, but we weren't uncomfortable with them ob.

Skagway- The train is the thing here. We did the train/highway tour. Frankly, this was the least interesting activity. We were planning to be on a train later in the trip, so it wasn't all that unique. Still, the day before in Juneau was pretty physical, so it was nice to just sit. We didn't need warm clothes, since we were mostly in a train/bus. The town gave that gold rush feel and was interesting, but it was super crowded with 6 cruise ships in town, so we went back to the ship soon after our tour.

Hubbard Glacier- It's cold around the glacier. We didn't wear as many layers, because we had a balcony. We could go in and out, bring blankets from the cabin, etc., but if we were out on the open deck, we'd probably dress more warmly.

Seward- It was a rainy day, but we did a zipline canopy tour. The forest canopy provided coverage, so it protected us from the rain and cooler temps. A lot of people do the Kenai boat tour and really love it, but we had done the Misty Fjords and the whale watching earlier in the trip, so we decided on something different. We went with Stoney Creek Canopy Tours. They also have the Denali zipline, which I heard was great, also.

We didn't rent a car because for 2 of us and a different pick up/drop off location, it was too expensive for the use we would get out of it. Most outfitters will pick you up, there's a free shuttle bus that runs in most of the towns and we figured out how to get from 1 town to another. From Seward to Girdwood, we took the Seward bus. They even picked us up at our hotel.

Girdwood- We stayed here for 3 nights at the Alyeska Resort. A lot of people come from Anchorage to do the tours we wanted to do. The tours are in the Girdwood area. Besides, the resort is on the edge of the Chugach National Forest, so it was a great place to soak up the beauty of Alaska. In fact, we saw a mother black bear and 3 cubs right outside on the edge of the forest/resort.

We did the helicopter to the top of Punchbowl Glacier to dogsled with iditirod champ Mitch Seavey's dogs. We were out there with one other couple. We had a fabulous experience. We booked through Alpine Air.

We also did the Spencer Glacier/Portage River float trip and added on the Alaska Wildlife Center. So beautiful to be in a remote area where you can only get in or out by train. We went with Chugach Adventures/Alaskan Rafting Adventures. Both of these activities were very cold. We had on all our layers, including Cuddle Duds/long underwear.They gave us additional gear to wear- rainboots with the float trip and Coats and waterproof pants and boots on the dogsledding trip. We were really glad we had our base layers on, too. Our feet still got cold on the Spencer Glacier trip.

On our third day in Girdwood, it poured rain and the wind speed was high. All boat/air excursions were cancelled for everyone in the area. We were lucky. Didn't have any activities planned that day. We hiked a 5 mile trail in the heavily wooded Chugach Forest. It provided some shelter from the rain. Halfway through the hike, there is a hand tram for getting back and forth across the river. That was fun.

The Alyeska Resort arranged a taxi to take us to Anchorage ($100). That was cheaper and faster than the train.

Anchorage- Went to the Anchorage Museum. Great Alaskan history. Very well done.

Train to Denali- Booked through Alaskan Railroad. Gold Service has you sitting in a glass domed car. Very scenic.

All day bus tour across the park (green shuttles). Buy tickets through the National Park Service. This is not the Wilderness tour, but the only difference is the color of the buses. The drivers are great at stopping when they or anyone spots wildlife. They stop for bathroom breaks and a photo break. No food, so bring your own lunch. This is where we used the binoculars the most. We also used them for the whale watching tour and the bear watching in the Misty Fjords. It was nice that we each had a pair, but no need to break the bank, if you don't plan to use them again. We may want to use ours for a future trip, so we wanted a little better quality.

2nd day in Denali- White water rafting with Denali Raft Adventures- Canyon Run had class 3 and 4 rapids and beautiful scenery. Very happy with our experience.

Train from Denali to Fairbanks- Goldstar service again. We probably could have done the Adventure Class service for this leg. The most scenic part was the canyon that we had already seen when we did our rafting trip.

Fairbanks- We didn't do a whole lot here, because we were flying out later in the day. There's supposed to be a nice paddlewheel boat tour and museum/arboretum at the university, but we went to North Pole, Alaska instead. It was a huge Christmas store where you can see Santa year round. Kind of silly, but we got a kick out of it. We recorded a video for our granddaughter with Santa talking to her and arranged to send her a letter from Santa this Christmas.

I'll try to post a more detailed trip report in a few days. Hope this helps, for now.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the great information!!! Good advice about bringing lunch in Denali! Sounds like you had a great couple of weeks.

We are hitting the same ports, but we are going south. And doing our land portion before the cruise. We have Glacier Winds booked and are really looking forward to our day with them.