Best transport to Fort Lauderdale

jubileebabe

I found taxi's in the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area to be very expensive. We used a taxi the first time but switched to Uber the 2nd time we were in the city. We liked Uber a lot more. We were outside Fort Lauderdale but not in Miami so others may have other opinions.

It seemed to me that the taxi driver (on our first visit) took a needlessly complex route to get to our destination. The cost was more then I expected hence our relying on Uber the next time.

If you don't want to wait for an Uber driver, I'm sure there are car services in the area. I have none to recommend but others might if not there's always google.

Whenever I have done this I find its easier to pre book with whoever I book the cruise with. Just one way, as the return flight is usually late afternoon or early evening, so I book an excursion with transfer back to the airport

Miami airport to the cruise port area (and hotel area around the port) is estimated to be approximately these amounts for the various Lyft ride requests (Presumably Uber about the same): $37 /

Lyft Plus: $77 /Lux SUV: $77/Premier: $75. These prices are for all, not per person. I am guessing taxis are more expensive as are pre-reserved cars. Shuttle prices are per person so the total cost will depend on number of passengers.

I think some posters are speed reading the OP's post and giving incorrect information.

I read it that you are arriving into MIA at 21.00hrs and you are staying in a Fort Lauderdale hotel, because you are sailing out of Port Everglades and not POM as some posters seem to think.

We have arrived to MIA and taken a car to Fort Lauderdale, using Larry's Limos. You can book using the webchat on their website and give them your flight number and arrival time. They know how much to allow for customs and immigration.

Larry's Limos will also collect you at the end of your cruise and bring you back to MIA.

Just for information, earlier this year we flew to MIA but decided to stay in a Miami hotel (great shopping!) and Larry's Limos collected us from the hotel and dropped us directly to the Port Everglades terminal for boarding. The price was 96 usd including 20% tip. You pay driver and credit card is accepted.

Larry's limos is very good. We used them to go from Fort Lauderdale to Port Miami. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Uber is probably less expensive though. If you have a fair bit of luggage, I'd go with Uber XL.

Larry's limos is very good. We used them to go from Fort Lauderdale to Port Miami. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.

Uber is probably less expensive though. If you have a fair bit of luggage, I'd go with Uber XL.

The problem that I have with Uber is that I need data on my device to call them! U.S. data can be very expensive for Europeans and unless they can pick up the free wifi in MIA it is just easier (and possibly more reliable after a long transatlantic flight) to have Larry's Limos waiting for you.

QLS - Quality Limo Service is another option for a shared shuttle service - I have used them from Ft Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami. It is a rather long way between FFL and MIA and traffic can make it worse, allow 45 mins or more. And nothing against Larry's Limos, just can't speak from personal experience. Consider staying in Miami as it would be easier after a long flight, then limo north to PE in the morning.

If you check out the North American Homeports/Florida Departures forum you'll get lots of ideas from experienced cruisers. [You can use the Forum Jump pull down menu links at the bottom of this page.]

Cheers, m--

Anyone any tips for getting to Fort Lauderdale hotel from Miami airport. Arrive from UK at 21.00 hrs need to get to hotel. Is it better to pre book than pick taxi up at airport.

LC

The cheapest option is to take the Tri Rail to Fort Lauderdale and then a cab. I used Tri Rail many times a few weeks ago when I was last in Miami.

The problem that I have with Uber is that I need data on my device to call them! U.S. data can be very expensive for Europeans and unless they can pick up the free wifi in MIA it is just easier (and possibly more reliable after a long transatlantic flight) to have Larry's Limos waiting for you.
Excellent point. Also, after a transatlantic flight, the last thing you want to do is have to book ground transport.

So, back to my original recommendation for Larry's limos. Granted, it's not the best name for a business, but their service was excellent.

Excellent point. Also, after a transatlantic flight, the last thing you want to do is have to book ground transport.

So, back to my original recommendation for Larry's limos. Granted, it's not the best name for a business, but their service was excellent.

As used and recommended by us both, so!:D

The cheapest option is to take the Tri Rail to Fort Lauderdale and then a cab. I used Tri Rail many times a few weeks ago when I was last in Miami.

Arriving into MIA at 9 pm will probably be 10 pm at earliest to exit the terminal and start looking for the TriRail station and then almost 1 hour to Fort Lauderdale station. All this and your body and mind feels like its 3 am (UK time). No Thanks.

(I do agree its cheap(ish) but 2 pax is $10 + taxi fare in Fort Lauderdale and you have to manhandle your baggage all the way).

Arriving into MIA at 9 pm will probably be 10 pm at earliest to exit the terminal and start looking for the TriRail station and then almost 1 hour to Fort Lauderdale station. All this and your body and mind feels like its 3 am (UK time). No Thanks.

(I do agree its cheap(ish) but 2 pax is $10 + taxi fare in Fort Lauderdale and you have to manhandle your baggage all the way).

Last TriRail train from the airport is 9.40pm (9.42 at the weekend) so, on reflection, it isn't an option with a 9pm arrival time.

Another vote for Larry's Limos. We have found them most dependable.