Ft. Lauderdale Q&A/FAQ

Bequia

I have booked at the Sheraton Suites Plantation through Hotwire for better price for March break cruise. My questions are: Do we need a car? Is there any car rental company that will provide free shuttle to the port after we drop-off the car? How much would taxi cost from Airport to Hotel & Hotel to port if we don't rent a car? Any thing we can do in the short period in FLL. We're a family of 3 (including a teenage boy), will arrive in FLL around 6PM on Sat. March 10. Thanks in advance for all your info.

Lynn

Plantation is a city west of Fort Lauderdale. Each ride will be about $30 by taxi before tip. The hotel is a few blocks walk to Westfield Broward Mall, and you will find several restaurants within a few short blocks too (J. Alexanders, Macaroni Grill, Original Pancake House, TGIF). It would be more convenient and maybe even save money if you have a car, since it is for just one day. There are a couple of car rental agencies that will shuttle you from the airport to the port for free. I think they include Budget and either Avis or Alamo. If you do a search here on CC you should be able to get this info. If not, it is about $15 per taxi.

Edited by royalcruz

Hello. Been jotting down several possibilities, but wanted to ask for some more specific advice.. We're a family of four (two tweens) arriving at FLL about 10pm night before cruise.

We're looking for:

convenient location between the airport and the port

not too much $$ as a very short stay

breakfast included or a decent place nearby

an incidental store nearby to stop by in the morning for last minutes..

Thanks for any ideas!

Try the Sleep Inn and Suites. It had a free shuttle from the airport and to the port (ask the night before). It was a fine, if basic, hotel with breakfast. There is a Walgreens practically next door and a small mall with a supermarket, dollar store and a couple of other things very near by--a couple blocks or less.

We got it for around $75 including taxes using our Choices hotel card. It was perfect for an evening arrival and a one-night stay. We asked for a quiet room and didn't notice any noise.

I have a couple of questions. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort 1 night pre-cruise in Sept. We also have a rental for the day. My questions are:

1. Does this hotel charge for parking? If so, we may just pick the car up, pick up last minute things, and then return the car to FLL. Def. would save the hastle of returning the car in the A.M.

2. How close are we to grocery store, liquor store?

Thanks for any help:)

Sue, You did great (again)! Hyatt Place is not perfect, but for one night it should be a very good stay. Some of the people who write experience reviews online are very picky. If the weather isn't great, you can actually take the trolley all the way from Harbor Shops to Galleria Mall.

Regarding the Bahia Mar, check prices daily, as I often see daily price changes on Doubletree. I use my hhonors number to look at Doubletree rates on hiltonfamilymvp.com. I just checked your dates and found a king partial oceanview room for $167/night.

We have the MVP rate for $167 per night.. plus tax. We are staying March 8 & 9.. total price:

167.20 USD

Total for Stay per Room:

Rate 334.40 USD

Taxes 36.78 USD

Total 371.18 USD

Total for Stay: 371.18 USD

Average price per night $185... .

I usually don't believe all the reviews I read. LOL...I go with an open mind & for one night post cruise I'm saving over $100.00. :) That's a lot of DOD on the ship!

Sue

I have a couple of questions. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort 1 night pre-cruise in Sept. We also have a rental for the day. My questions are:

1. Does this hotel charge for parking? If so, we may just pick the car up, pick up last minute things, and then return the car to FLL. Def. would save the hastle of returning the car in the A.M.

2. How close are we to grocery store, liquor store?

yes, valet only and i want to say 20-25 bucks...

and maybe 5 miles or less....

you COULD hop the sun trolley to publix and back...you just flag it down...

(the harbor shops is where publix is...and a total wine store...

http://www.theharborshops.com)

http://www.suntrolley.com

Hello. Been jotting down several possibilities, but wanted to ask for some more specific advice.. We're a family of four (two tweens) arriving at FLL about 10pm night before cruise.

We're looking for:

convenient location between the airport and the port

not too much $$ as a very short stay

breakfast included or a decent place nearby

an incidental store nearby to stop by in the morning for last minutes..

Thanks for any ideas!

The only hotel exactly between the airport and port is Crowne Plaza and they don't offer breakfast. Here are some other options in the area that offer breakfast and nearby grocery/drug stores:

Sleep Inn Dania

Hampton Inn FLL north

Hyatt Place north (look on valuetrips)

Embassy Suites (a little pricier)

I have a couple of questions. We are staying at the Westin Beach Resort 1 night pre-cruise in Sept. We also have a rental for the day. How close are we to grocery store, liquor store?

There is a CVS a few blocks south in Beach Place that sells some basic groceries and wine. There is a liquor store on Las Olas Blvd about 2 blocks west of the beach (less than a mile away).

What is around the hotel, and how much for taxi , from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port.

Taxis will run about $30-40 each way. There is a big shopping center near the hotel that has a Regal Cinema and a bunch of chain restaurants (no drug stores, grocery, or liquor).

Hi, we get into FLL around 2pm the day before our cruise and were thinking we'd like to maybe hit some beach time before grabbing a case of water for the cruise and some dinner than calling it a night. We won't have a car but are willing to trolley, walk, or ? Any suggestions for hotel/dinner, beach, and possibly free shuttles?:)

Virtopia, I know what you mean...it seems it is much cheaper to cruise than to stay in a hotel sometimes. Have you looked at the Alhambra? It's close to the port, a half block from the beach, well priced, and gets very good reviews. It's also in a fun neighborhood, but enough off the beaten track to not be noisy. Casablanca Cafe is a few steps away and has a fun little piano bar. Maybe their $89 or $99 rooms will be available. http://www.alhambrabeachresort.com/

I'm going to look that up right now; I actually just cancelled the Beachcombers and booked the Hilton Fort Lauderdale Marina for $130 less. Granted, there's no free Internet or a shuttle service, but the extra $130 will cover that and I still get my balcony room with a water view.

Any thoughts on that hotel as I'm looking to book it for my 1 pre night as well.

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited by Virtopia

What is around the hotel, and how much for taxi , from airport to hotel, hotel to cruise port.

I actually stayed in that hotel during my family reunion in August and I loved it. The rooms are nice and big and the open courtyard gives it a resort type feel. I was there for 6 nights and didn't want to leave.

Hello,

We will be staying at the Hyatt Regency Pier Sixty-Six prior to sailing.

Can anyone suggest a restaurant in the area for dinner?

Many thanks for any help.

The restaurants at the Hyatt are very good. I like Grill 66 for dinner and Pelican Landing for lunch, though Pelican also serves dinner if you prefer something very casual. The next closest restaurants are China Grill, Market 17, Bimini Boatyard, and Bravo, all good and just over the bridge.

Flying into FLL late night prior to cruise. Any hotel suggestions with airport shuttle and also need to go to Miami port following day? Thanks

Sleep Inn Dania, then SAS shuttle to Miami the next day. Some hotel shuttles stop running after a certain time. There are lots of other hotels with free shuttles: Crowne Plaza, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

Edited by royalcruz

The restaurants at the Hyatt are very good. I like Grill 66 for dinner and Pelican Landing for lunch, though Pelican also serves dinner if you prefer something very casual. The next closest restaurants are China Grill, Market 17, Bimini Boatyard, and Bravo, all good and just over the bridge.

Thanks for all the info! Lots of choices.

Sleep Inn Dania, then SAS shuttle to Miami the next day. Some hotel shuttles stop running after a certain time. There are lots of other hotels with free shuttles: Crowne Plaza, Hampton Inn, Holiday Inn, etc.

Does SAS pick up at hotel?

Does SAS pick up at hotel?

It depends on how busy they are. You need to contact them with your dates to find out what they can offer. If you stay near the airport you have a better chance of them being able to pick you up.

It depends on how busy they are. You need to contact them with your dates to find out what they can offer. If you stay near the airport you have a better chance of them being able to pick you up.

Thank you for the info.:)