Taking the People Mover in Piazzale Roma to get to the cruise ships

vacationlady

I did a detailed write up with pictures on my blog on how to use the People Mover to get to the cruise ships. It is under the post of "Taking the Bus from Venice Airport to Piazzale Roma. People talked about it on the board, but its a little hard to find and hopefully with the pictures this will give you a better understanding on how to use it. It was very easy to use. You can use the people mover to return back to Venice once you are on the ship. It's much cheaper to use and it will allow you to see more of Venice by walking.

check out the post at:

winenchocolate dot com

Hi Winenchocolat, thanks for the detailed description. From your pictures and write up, it seems there are no stairs to be walked up and down.

You mentioned an escalator, but other people have talked about climbing up and down stairs with suitcases.

Can you pls confirm that there is a lift or escalator for people having trouble climbing stairs and that the whole way is a flat walk ? Thanks,

I did a detailed write up with pictures on my blog on how to use the People Mover to get to the cruise ships. It is under the post of "Taking the Bus from Venice Airport to Piazzale Roma. People talked about it on the board, but its a little hard to find and hopefully with the pictures this will give you a better understanding on how to use it. It was very easy to use. You can use the people mover to return back to Venice once you are on the ship. It's much cheaper to use and it will allow you to see more of Venice by walking.

check out the post at:

winenchocolate dot com

hi, good info. Have you any good recommendations for a hotel in Piazzale Roma; one where I could use people mover on day of the cruise? Thanks

Hi Winenchocolat, thanks for the detailed description. From your pictures and write up, it seems there are no stairs to be walked up and down.

You mentioned an escalator, but other people have talked about climbing up and down stairs with suitcases.

Can you pls confirm that there is a lift or escalator for people having trouble climbing stairs and that the whole way is a flat walk ? Thanks,

There are STAIRS for those that want to walk up/down.

There is an ESCALATOR for those that want to ride up/down.

There is an ELEVATOR for those that can't walk or ride.

image.jpg

PS: Sometimes the escalators are stopped. It happened twice to us when we visited in 2012. Don't know if it was a mechanical fault, or if some pranksters had pushed the STOP button.

MORE details here: http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice-people-mover-photos.htm

:)

Edited by p_mori7

Hotel Santa Chiara, Hotel Olympia are the closest to PR and the people mover.

thanks, I think the Santa Clara was sold out for our dates; booked Best Western Olympia; it was a little expensive; but what are you gonna do?

Actually, we think that Ca Doge is the closest hotel to the People Mover. It also happens to be our home when in Venice, but not recommended for everyone since its more like an inn (or large B&B) then a hotel and has no elevator.

Hank

I would caution anyone with mobility problems that once you disembark the People Mover at the cruise port stop it can be quite a walk to your ship. The closest berth is about 300 meters while the furthest is more than one kilometer.

Lew

I would caution anyone with mobility problems that once you disembark the People Mover at the cruise port stop it can be quite a walk to your ship. The closest berth is about 300 meters while the furthest is more than one kilometer.

Lew

Yes, it can be a fair distance. Depending on the time of day, the dock (or Princess) ran a free shuttle from the People Mover to the ship. We didn't know about it and had walked half way when the bus beeped and picked us up for the rest of the way. I don't know what time it started. It stopped running around 5pm when the dock workers quit for the day, so wasn't available if returning to the ship after being in Venice for the evening. Have sailed into or out of Venice a few times and saw this shuttle only once.

We stayed at Hotel Arlecchino. From the PeopleMover exist, just across the square (Piazzale Roma) and only one bridge. Small clean room with a small canal view. Very satisfied with it. It included a full breakfast.

Edited by Adventures ahead

Lew

That's quite true. Our last cruise there HAL actually had a bus to put your luggage on for transport to the ship.

Yes, it can be a fair distance. Depending on the time of day, the dock (or Princess) ran a free shuttle from the People Mover to the ship. We didn't know about it and had walked half way when the bus beeped and picked us up for the rest of the way. I don't know what time it started. It stopped running around 5pm when the dock workers quit for the day, so wasn't available if returning to the ship after being in Venice for the evening. Have sailed into or out of Venice a few times and saw this shuttle only once.

We were on the NCL Jade on May 31 and it was parked far from the people mover. When we got off the people mover and went down to ground level we saw two coach buses parked in front of us at the curb. My husband decided to check them out. One had a piece of paper with Jade written in pen on the wind shield. So if you see buses check them out. If my husband hadn't been curious we would have never known.

some cruiselines have shuttles but there is no fixed schedule so it can be a long wait. We were on RCI and they picked up at Piazzale Roma; we just missed the bus and it didn't return for about 45 minutes.

If you have mobility issues, consider staying in Mestre instead of Venice. It's just across the causeway from Venice. When you want to sightsee in Venice, you can take a train or bus in less than 10 minutes for 2E And when you're ready to board the ship, a cab will take you to the pier for about 20E. Info on Mestre hotels is in the link I provided earlier.

thanks, I think the Santa Clara was sold out for our dates; booked Best Western Olympia; it was a little expensive; but what are you gonna do?

They have the best breakfast in Venice (IMHO)