Changing upgrade preference

When I booked our Oct. cruise the rep asked if I wanted complimentary upgrades. I said no, but have changed my mind. Do I have to call princess to have that changed? I can't find a way of changing it in my personalizer.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes. Call or email your TA (or Princess if you booked directly) to change your preference. You can request a “meta” upgrade if you want which is from one cabin type to another (inside to oceanview, oceanview to balcony, etc.)

What if you have a inside on the piaza deck and would only move to a OV on the same floor or a balcony? Love the IC! Do they ask first or just automatically upgrade you?

What if you have a inside on the piaza deck and would only move to a OV on the same floor or a balcony? Love the IC! Do they ask first or just automatically upgrade you?
They automatically assign you a cabin. It could be anywhere. You can not specify deck or cabin category. What you can do is set it to a “meta” upgrade which is one cabin type for another, an OV to a balcony or higher, for instance, not just a category upgrade.

Just keep in mind if you have chosen your cabin (rather than doing a guarantee) for a specific reason such as location, an upgrade may not really be an upgrade!

An example: on our upcoming cruise on the Royal I selected an deluxe obstructed balcony on a lower deck. This particular cabin has no obstruction and an oversized balcony compared with most on this ship, and being on Deck 8 allows us to use the stairs for pretty much everything except going to the buffet. I’m sure Princess would consider a regular unobstructed balcony cabin an upgrade, but in my mind it would not be. So i had Princess mark it as do not upgrade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

Thank you all. You have covered everything. I will mark my booking Meta only, and watch e-mail and cruise planner for any upgrades so I can verify it is acceptable. A lot of effort but I could be very unhappy if I lose my cabin near the IC. :p:D

Our last cruise we got a Meta upgrade and by the time we were notified the change had been made and our original room was gone. Learned our lesson, as we did not like the location of the upgrade, so now just mark "no upgrades".

I booked an obstructed view (which is known not to be obstructed) but it’s technically an inside room. So if I allow a meta upgrade could it possibly go up to an actual OV that is obstructed?

I left the upgrade possibility open in case of a balcony upgrade. But is that too much of a long shot?

I booked an obstructed view (which is known not to be obstructed) but it’s technically an inside room. So if I allow a meta upgrade could it possibly go up to an actual OV that is obstructed? An upgrade can be to any higher category, so going to a higher obstructed OV is possible. This is why you would want a "meta" upgrade only.

I left the upgrade possibility open in case of a balcony upgrade. But is that too much of a long shot?

A long shot, but maybe not too long of one.

• 3 months later...
A meta upgrade is going from inside to ocean view, ocean view to balcony. What is it from balcony? Is a meta upgrade balcony to deluxe balcony or balcony to mini suite?

Meta upgrades are...inside to OV, OV to balcony, balcony to mini, mini to suite. OR they could move you up more than 1 category, i.e. inside to balcony.

Also, no one has mentioned this: if you mark NO UPGRADE and Princess wants your cabin for some reason, they will move you. The choice of no upgrade, meta upgrade, etc. is a request.

Meta upgrades are...inside to OV, OV to balcony, balcony to mini, mini to suite. OR they could move you up more than 1 category, i.e. inside to balcony.

Also, no one has mentioned this: if you mark NO UPGRADE and Princess wants your cabin for some reason, they will move you. The choice of no upgrade, meta upgrade, etc. is a request.

Thank you for the info JF - retired!