Need your tips! How do you protect your belongings at the beach?

DH and I will soon be cruising the Caribbean and will do beach excursions on our own most of the time.

Since it is just the two of us travelling and we will go swimming together, I am curious to know what are your best strategies or latest gadgets to protect your belongings while taking a dip!

For the record, we travel light! A camera, a few dollars, credit card and seapass.... By the way, can you damage the seapass if you take it in the water? (I.e. zipped inside a swimsuit pocket?)

There are plenty of waterproof containers/bags on the market some made for individual items and others suitable for carrying multiple items. You do not say where you live but an INternet search will bring up many products.

I always take my junk with me. ;) Water won't hurt your sea pass or credit cards. I have a waterproof camera and I put a few dollars and my cards in a water proof case and take everything with me into the water. If the case leaks, it's not a problem. I usually wear water shoes or sandals. The only think I leave on the beach is a towel, sunscreen and a shirt.

BTW, some sunscreen will wipe the print off the seeps card. If this happens just get it replaced at GS.

Edited by bigbeergut

My friend put her sea pass in the top of her bathing suit. She pulled it out while we were in line to board . It was BLANK.. and there on her bosom was a perfect print of her card and I mean perfect , not even a smudge. It was quite funny going through security where she offered herself for the scan

DH and I will soon be cruising the Caribbean and will do beach excursions on our own most of the time.

Since it is just the two of us travelling and we will go swimming together, I am curious to know what are your best strategies or latest gadgets to protect your belongings while taking a dip!

For the record, we travel light! A camera, a few dollars, credit card and seapass.... By the way, can you damage the seapass if you take it in the water? (I.e. zipped inside a swimsuit pocket?)

I have this

https://www.pacsafe.com/pacsafe-55l-backpack-and-bag-prgoqrcidooiotector/10170999.html?cgid=accessories#start=1

And I put all our stuff into the bag and locked it around a tree or lounge chair at the beach. Worked for us.

We travel light if we plan on both getting in the water. Leave towels and clothing on the beach, leave cell phones and passports on the ship, just carry cash, cards, and ID in a waterproof case we wear around one of our necks and I have a waterproof camera I’ll bring on water excursions.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I use a dry pack when we are out snorkeling. While I rarely take my good camera out on these excursions, it is probably important to have your phone just in case of an emergency situation. You never know when you may need it. Then, I just use my phone to take any pictures. There are dry packs you can hang around your neck or ones you can tie around your waist ... just depending on how many things you have to take with you. They haven't ever dragged me down and they've never failed me in terms of a leak.

I always test them at home, though ... just to make sure they have no leakage issues. Amazon has a lot of different options for pretty cheap. I have one that is still in good shape after getting it for a white water rafting trip nearly 20 years ago. Again, I still test it out at home before every trip.

My friend put her sea pass in the top of her bathing suit. She pulled it out while we were in line to board . It was BLANK.. and there on her bosom was a perfect print of her card and I mean perfect , not even a smudge. It was quite funny going through security where she offered herself for the scan

That made me laugh ---- ;p

Hope that security were ..... errrr .... discrete !!!!!!!

We use a product called a FlexSafe. It is a small bag with a combination lock on a flap that will secure the bag around a beach chair. You can find it on theaquavault.com or on amazon. It works pretty well for a few small items.

http://www.kyssbags.com/

We also use a KYSS bag - very roomy, super sturdy. Def not as safe as having everything attached to you - but a good deterrent. Thieves are looking for stuff they can grab and go without being noticed. That being said - we typically keep an eye on our stuff regardless.

Lots of great ideas on this thread!

We were sitting on a beach in beach chairs with another couple. A few vendors came up giving us a sales pitch.

Our friend was sitting bare foot with his sandals next to his chair. When we were ready to leave he found that his sandals were missing. Apparently one of the vendors slipped his feet into the guys sandals while he was talking to us and no one noticed as he walked away with them on his feet.

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

We put sea passes, IDs, credit card & cash in dry box.

I bought an inexpensive iphone waterproof case...as much to keep sand out as water. Worked surprisingly well. Helps that iphone 7s & newer are also water resistant so alleviates some worries if it did leak a bit (they didn't) You can theoretically use them with the case on tho it is tricky.

We used to go in the water one at a time before we got the waterproof phone cases.

When we go to AI beaches with few people & no vendors, we often just leave them in the beach bag when we go in the water & keep half an eye on it. One BIG advantage to those AI's that limit the number of patrons they allow. (Nachi Cochum in Cozumel allows 100/day; Jaime's at the Blue Reef in Costa Maya allows 35/day!) We would never do that at Paradise Beach/Mr. Sanchos at Cozumel or busy beaches like that.

I bought a waterproof pouch from Amazon. I can wear it around my waste or neck. I went to AAA to get my driver's license renewed and notice a nice selection of waterproof bags and pouches as well as RIFD protecting travel purses. I've also seen them in Best Buy near the phone accessories and in department stores in the travel accessories.