No more First Cabin Access for Diamonds/Platinums?

jimbo5544

If First Access to your cabin for D/P is gone, will that make you not sail Carnival?  

658 members have voted

1. 1. If First Access to your cabin for D/P is gone, will that make you not sail Carnival?

• Yes - I am Diamond or Platinum already and this perk is important to me
    • No - I am Diamond or Platinum and this perk is not important to me
    • Yes - I am not Diamond or Platinum but this is something I was looking forward to
    • No - I am not Diamond or Platinum and this is something that is not important to me
    • Not bothered

I think a lot of what we are seeing is that the stewards are so overworked on embarkation day that they can't get all of the P/D/FTTF cabins ready by the time the ship starts boarding.
That may be the case and is probably true that they often find it difficult to get all priority cabins ready in time. But it wouldn't explain the multiple accounts, reported on these boards alone, of P/D's actually being turned away and told they can no longer access their cabins early. They were being told by stewards, Guest Services, customer service reps, etc. That's more than just stewards falling behind.

As I mentioned in another post, there seems to be a lot less reports of this happening in the last week or two. But this isn't/wasn't just a rumor sparked by wild imaginations. An altered page of their FAQ's, employees throughout different departments (on-ship and off) saying it changed, and first-hand accounts of priority passengers being denied access. The evidence is there that something happened. That's why I believe Carnival quietly decided to back pedal.

I agree. It could be something simple like this...overworked and not enough staff. Room wasn't ready when someone showed up and someone was told that this was the change. Maybe this was an attempt to invoke a change from the bottom up, so to speak. Then word gets back to JH (since March 18th) over on FB and he gets word from corporate that this perk is still active and indicates this several times in his replies. Corporate then "reminds" staff on all ships of the policy.

Like I said before, I'd rather error on this side of logic than believe this was a test, only a test, and that the outcry caused back-peddling on Carnival's part.

Logically speaking, it wasn't just a crazy rumor, something real was going on (see my comment above). And if a decision this big actually came about, it would have come from corporate, not the management of individual ships.

It wouldn't be the first time Carnival back-pedaled. Remember the adults-only aft pools on Conquest class? That policy was rolled back pretty quietly and was done so because of the outcry.

That is just speculation on my part. I might be correct in my speculation.' date=' might be wrong but honestly just think that Carnival is being disingenuous.

Next cruise on Carnival is October and based on our experience this Diamond cruiser might be done with them.[/quote']

Thought I missed something....

It wouldn't be the first time Carnival back-pedaled. Remember the adults-only aft pools on Conquest class? That policy was rolled back pretty quietly and was done so because of the outcry.

That was a legitimate change, not just a supposed "test."

As much as I am looking forward to becoming Platinum on my next cruise, I really feel for the room stewards. It was quite noticeable on my 10/17 and 12/17 cruises. The stewards were as gracious and efficient as in the past, but it was obvious they were stretched pretty thin. I am really not sure how they are able to get the rooms turned over as quickly as they do on embarkation day. I did notice that things like our pre-ordered water and our free bottles of water were not in the room. And they barely had time to introduce themselves on the first day. By the next day, they seemed to be back in the groove.

My takeaway is that Carnival has created their own dumpster fire with the sheer number of plat/dia and fttf. Fttf has been a huge success, enough to raise the $ and keep selling out quickly. Early access to the room is a favorite item regardless of it being purchased or a perk of VIFP status. They probably are trying to find a fix to this dilemma. My suggestion would be to increase the number of stewards. But as a corp. they are looking for options that won't cost them any more $$. I don't think Diamond guests will lose any perks, but it is possible that Plat.s could see a change. Just my luck!?!

All of that being said, it is wise to stay on top of this and see where it goes.

As much as I am looking forward to becoming Platinum on my next cruise, I really feel for the room stewards. It was quite noticeable on my 10/17 and 12/17 cruises. The stewards were as gracious and efficient as in the past, but it was obvious they were stretched pretty thin. I am really not sure how they are able to get the rooms turned over as quickly as they do on embarkation day. I did notice that things like our pre-ordered water and our free bottles of water were not in the room. And they barely had time to introduce themselves on the first day. By the next day, they seemed to be back in the groove.

My takeaway is that Carnival has created their own dumpster fire with the sheer number of plat/dia and fttf. Fttf has been a huge success, enough to raise the $ and keep selling out quickly. Early access to the room is a favorite item regardless of it being purchased or a perk of VIFP status. They probably are trying to find a fix to this dilemma. My suggestion would be to increase the number of stewards. But as a corp. they are looking for options that won't cost them any more $$. I don't think Diamond guests will lose any perks, but it is possible that Plat.s could see a change. Just my luck!?!

All of that being said, it is wise to stay on top of this and see where it goes.

You make some excellent points. I agree that Carnival execs created this " perfect storm " when they reduced housekeeping labor and attempted to favor FTTF guests over loyalty guests to room access. A junior manager at McDonald's could see this coming but Carnival missed it or denied the consequences of their decision likely due to greed.

You made me recall that fresh out of college our son was accepted into an entry management position with the Hyatt Corporation in Receiving. He was required to complete a week's training in many departments throughout the hotel that were seemingly unrelated to the job he would be doing. He has always said Hyatt's approach to training was the best because he gained a greater appreciation of hotel operations across the board and was a better manager and a member of a team. One day he had to clean guest rooms and make beds, scrub toilets and polish mirrors to know what is required of room attendants and how long it takes them to do their jobs in accordance to Hyatt methods and standards of room cleanliness and presentation. Carnival could learn from Hyatt's leadership in the hospitality industry.

Hyatt began in 1957 and is worth much less than Carnival so I'm thinking perhaps it is Hyatt who could learn something.

When my sister worked for Hyatt, one of the first things learned was the procedure for dealing with atrium jumpers.

Just thought I would report that in the terminal, waiting to board Triumph, the boarding procedure was explained over the loudspeaker and it was announced that rooms would be available upon boarding for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF and even though the sign on the closed door did not have that on it, our room was ready when we got there at 11:30. Our luggage had already arrived also which was a first. Just wanted people to know our experience.

Just thought I would report that in the terminal, waiting to board Triumph, the boarding procedure was explained over the loudspeaker and it was announced that rooms would be available upon boarding for Diamond, Platinum and FTTF and even though the sign on the closed door did not have that on it, our room was ready when we got there at 11:30. Our luggage had already arrived also which was a first. Just wanted people to know our experience.
Judging by reports posted here from people on multiple ships, it looks like the signs that no longer mention P/D and FTTF are becoming the norm. One theory being tossed around is, by not listing anyone who's allowed in the hallways on the sign, maybe it would discourage non-priority passengers from pretending to be P/D/FTTF and going through.

Hyatt began in 1957 and is worth much less than Carnival so I'm thinking perhaps it is Hyatt who could learn something.

When my sister worked for Hyatt, one of the first things learned was the procedure for dealing with atrium jumpers.

Did Hyatt's jumper procedures work? Maybe it's Carnival that could learn something from Hyatt, after all.

Judging by reports posted here from people on multiple ships, it looks like the signs that no longer mention P/D and FTTF are becoming the norm. One theory being tossed around is, by not listing anyone who's allowed in the hallways on the sign, maybe it would discourage non-priority passengers from pretending to be P/D/FTTF and going through.

Sounds like the signs they used to use before there was any P/D/FTTF. Maybe they decided to use up old stock.

• 2 months later...
:(:(

What holes pal? I did get hurricane season wrong (thanks Obama, used to be August-November I thought).

Let’s see....you got the first one, the second is there is still access, the third is the price of the stock has no relation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

:(:(

What holes pal? I did get hurricane season wrong (thanks Obama, used to be August-November I thought).

"It was originally the time frame when the tropics were monitored routinely for tropical cyclone activity, and was originally defined as from June 15 through October 31.[7] Over the years, the beginning date was shifted back to June 1, while the end date was shifted to November 15,[5] before settling at November 30 by 1965."

Let’s see....you got the first one, the second is there is still access, the third is the price of the stock has no relation.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Just wait until the Beards get another brilliant idea. A lot of people think FTTF is worth it and will pay for it. Maybe they will keep it for diamond status but platinum status is about to be getting huge cutbacks. Too many of us.