Air2Sea, What Would They Owe Cruisers

We are cruising to Hawaii on the Radiance Sept 8th from Vancouver on a 11 night cruise. One of the members on our Roll Call has booked air travel though Air2Sea from the East coast to Vancouver the day the cruise leaves. They have also booked RCI transfers from the airport to the port. The ship is scheduled to depart at 5:00pm. Cruiser's original schedule was to land at 12:00p but the airline has now changed it land at 1:15p. (Yes, the cruiser has been chastised for booking air the day of the cruise;))

So the question is, what happens if the worst happens and the flight is very late or even canceled? Will the ship wait? Would RCI fly them to the first port and then board? (Jones act would apply in this case.) If so would they pay for hotels and meals as the first 5 days are sea days? Or would the whole cruise be canceled for them?

Although they appear to be only ones on the Roll Call with this flight there are several of us taking the same flight the day before. I am assuming RCI has other cruisers on this same flight the day of. We are all hoping nothing goes wrong for these cruisers as we realize this is going to be cutting it very close.:eek:

they need to contact A2S and demand a change in flights. BEFOREHAND so as to minimize the possibility of things going FUBAR. while they cannot be held responsible if the airline changes the details, they are still responsible to get you there on time.

the ship can only delay so long before being kicked out by the port officials.

Cruiser's original schedule was to land at 12:00p but the airline has now changed it land at 1:15p. (Yes, the cruiser has been chastised for booking air the day of the cruise;))

They should cut out the middle man, go directly to the airline and reschedule the flight - should be allowed a free change, though at this late stage choices might be limited.

They should cut out the middle man, go directly to the airline and reschedule the flight - should be allowed a free change, though at this late stage choices might be limited.

I agree, I would try that first. However, I've had flights through Choice Air where the airline would not talk to me and I had to go though the booking agent. Someone said that it depends on the type of fare that Choice Air (Air2Sea now) buys.

Where is the first port?

Biker19 is right, the first port is Maui on day 6 of the cruise.

Call and let them know the schedule change is unacceptable and you need an earlier flight.

The flight is on Delta and is the first one in to Vancouver from where the cruiser is leaving from on the East coast. According to the Delta website if there is a change due to a change in the flight schedule the new flight must be for the original date of travel. So the cruisers can get to Vancouver later but not earlier that day, Sept 8th. Several of us have the same flight from MSP the day before and Delta has changed this flight twice since I booked in April. Do you think Air2Sea would allow a change to the day before? I'm not sure the cruisers could even fly the day before.

With having to go thru customs and a 45 minute drive to the port we are worried these cruisers may not make it to the port by 3:30pm. Hopefully they will make it in time. If/when they show up for sail-away drinks we plan on having a talk about flying in the day the cruise leaves. ;)

Do you think Air2Sea would allow a change to the day before? I'm not sure the cruisers could even fly the day before.

It's more an issue with Delta, not A2S. I would call Delta (perhaps more than once), explain the situation and ask to be moved to the flight the previous day.

Biker19 is right, the first port is Maui on day 6 of the cruise.

The flight is on Delta and is the first one in to Vancouver from where the cruiser is leaving from on the East coast. According to the Delta website if there is a change due to a change in the flight schedule the new flight must be for the original date of travel. So the cruisers can get to Vancouver later but not earlier that day, Sept 8th. Several of us have the same flight from MSP the day before and Delta has changed this flight twice since I booked in April. Do you think Air2Sea would allow a change to the day before? I'm not sure the cruisers could even fly the day before.

With having to go thru customs and a 45 minute drive to the port we are worried these cruisers may not make it to the port by 3:30pm. Hopefully they will make it in time. If/when they show up for sail-away drinks we plan on having a talk about flying in the day the cruise leaves. ;)

I would never make it as I would have keeled over from stress by 3:30pm. :eek:

It's my understand if the airlines change your flight times you can change to a different flight. After I book with Sea2air, I manage my reservation directly with the airlines. They notify me of any changes in flight times/schedules and let you change without fee if they shuffle the schedule.

I would never make it as I would have keeled over from stress by 3:30pm. :eek:

I know what you mean Bill, I'm stressing for these people and I only know them thru the roll call. We haven't formally met yet.

If they are flying out of where I think they are I did find a couple Delta flights that gets them in 45 minutes earlier (12:32p) but it add another flight and they have some tight connections. I'm not sure that the different flights would be worth the risk. I guess only the cruisers can judge that.

I know I'm going to be worried about them until I see them with drinks in their hands.:tropical-drink::cocktail:

The flight is on Delta and is the first one in to Vancouver from where the cruiser is leaving from on the East coast.

According to the Delta website if there is a change due to a change in the flight schedule the new flight must be for the original date of travel. So the cruisers can get to Vancouver later but not earlier that day, Sept 8th.

Several of us have the same flight from MSP the day before and Delta has changed this flight twice since I booked in April. Do you think Air2Sea would allow a change to the day before?

I'm not sure the cruisers could even fly the day before.

That might be a Canadian thing but it's not how delta works in the US. If they change a flight by more than an hourish they get to accommodate on a flight that does work. And that can mean the previous day.

If they can't fly the day before and there are delays, I hope they got good travel insurance because I don't think they are making that cruise.

while they cannot be held responsible if the airline changes the details, they are still responsible to get you there on time.

Not exactly. They need to try get you to the ship, that's all. If it's not feasible to get you to the ship on time for departure, they have no particular obligation to do so. And even just getting you to the ship at a later date isn't always feasible, such as when the Jones Act/PVSA comes into play.

I had an emergency weather situation with A2Sea a few years back and was not allowed to talk directly to the airline and they didn't seem to be willing to take any action until my flight was canceled. I persisted, staying on hold for a long time the day before the flight (superstorm Sandy) and they finally relented and gave me the ok to interact with the airlines. If I had been passive, I would have missed my first connection which was eventually canceled. I got out of Dodge City just before they closed the airport.

So, here is what I learned: I don't book Air2Seas for the flight to Europe. I might book the return flight.