No Limes on the ALLURE!!

S&DMOM

Just returned from the Allure OTS. I purchased the Premium Package and loved it! I did have a real hard time finding limes on the boat. They kept placing lemon wedges in my Coronas:o

Also used the package in Vintages with no problems. This was my favorite place to grab a glass of wine.

I will have to say that I was disappointed in the variety of martinis and the quality of drinks (did not use fresh juices, etc). Definitely better selection of Martinis on Carnival and Celebrity.

The sommelier in the Dining room was awesome. Kept my wine glass full and brought me afterdinner shots everyday.

Also thought the food in the Main Dining room was awful when compared to Carnival or Celebrity. Food was very bland and meat quality was poor. Enjoyed the food on Carnival much better!!!

Any questions?

When did they run out of limes? Earlier in the cruise I always had limes with my beer or mojitos. I had one martini in the Jazz on 4 venue and it was awful and it was not cheap -- $11 and some change. I thought it was a fluke so I had another one in the Champagne and Martini Bar and it was not a fluke! Never ordered another one. I'm not a fruity drink person so I limited my drinks to beer and wine. I thought the food in the main dining room was just alright. I thought the pizza in Sorrento's was awful. Can anyone tell me why they don't serve sausage pizza?

Just got off the Celebrity Silhouette and no limes there either! Actually, they picked some up in San Juan but they didn't last very long. I had heard that for some reason limes are very expensive right now. Crazy!

I missed my limes in my G & T's!! But, I survived!

Last month on the explorer, there weren't any fruits/garnishes at any bar. they cleared all of it in an attempt to prevent the spread of noro.

They did have lime juice in a bottle that you could ask for.

I have read about shortage of limes at the Mexican resorts too. The price is too high right now.

No limes what a tradegy.

The price of Limes has skyrocketed lately. I imagine they have cut way back on ordering them. I wouldn't let that ruin my cruise though!

If you drink beverages with limes, yes, it is kind of an issue. Two of my staple drinks (Coronas and Seabreezes) aren't the same without squeezed limes.

I don't think the OP blew anything out of proportion and never said it ruined their cruise :rolleyes:!

A political flap over limes in Mexico, combined with crop damage, has triggered surging prices for the popular garnish and cocktail ingredient. In Southern California, the shortage is hurting produce suppliers and bars the hardest as prices have soared to an unprecedented $100 per case, up from an average of $14.

“The prices are insane,” said Dave Samuels of Ingardia Bros. Produce in Santa Ana.

While restaurants and bars are swallowing the costs to keep margaritas and other cocktails on the table, some supermarkets are passing off the cost increase to shoppers. Others are keeping supplies scarce.

“A lot of retailers are just not selling limes,” said Robert S. Schueller, a spokesman for Los Angeles-based Melissa’s Produce.

At Albertsons stores, limes are marked up at 39 cents each. They normally sell for 25 cents each, spokeswoman Lilia Rodriguez said Friday. A Stater Bros. in Orange was also selling limes for 39 cents each.

The shortage is tied to two problems in Mexico: a hoarding of supplies in the Mexican state of Michoacan and winter crop damage in southern Mexico. Specifically, citrus growers in Apatzingan Valley have banned together to limit supply to guarantee a minimum price of 23 pesos per kilo, or 80 cents per pound.

CBC News reported the following last night about the lime shortage. FYI, in Canada they are a $1 or more for one lime. First world problem, but an interesting story.

Mexican drug cartel behind increase in lines prices-lemons being swapped for lines as prices continue to rise

In some cases, Canadian supermarkets are now charging well over a dollar for a single lime.

The cold weather and agricultural pests have played a part in curtailing lime production and so raising the cost to consumers. But there is another factor at work here as well: In fact, the price of limes in Canada is closely tied to one of Mexico's infamous drug cartels.

While these cartels are known for their tight control of drug production and export, they are also branching out into other businesses, limes being one of them.

Limes are an essential ingredient in much of Mexican cuisine, and one of the country's key exports.

The green citrus fruits are largely grown in one specific region: the state of Michoacán in the country's southwest. And that's where a cartel called the Knights Templar has been elbowing in.

Gustavo Arellano, a syndicated columnist and author who writes about Mexican cultural issues, says the Knights Templar have been making their presence known in an area called La Tierra Caliente for a few years now.

"So what they've done over the last couple of years, is that, if they're nice, they put humongous taxes on the farmers. If they're not nice, they just kill farmers and take the land and take over lime production themselves."

Workers sort limes at a citrus packing plant in La Ruana, in the state of Michoacan, Mexico. Communities in this region had been under the rule of the cartel known as the "Knights Templar" which demanded protection payments from cattlemen, lime growers and other businesses. (The Associated Press)

Starting last year, however, things began to change in Michoacán, when local militias began to spring up in opposition to the Knights Templar cartel.

Those local militias, which are often backed by lime farmers, have been somewhat successful at curtailing the cartels. And the Mexican government has found itself caught in the middle.

"It's been somewhat chaotic given that you've had these 'alto defentas' fighting the cartel," Arellano said. "The cartels have been in retreat ... but as a result they're trying to up their antics with the Mexican military stuck in the middle. So when you have such chaos in the region, price speculators are just going to drive the price of limes up."

Canadians tend to pay a premium for limes anyway, which are generally unit-priced, a few for a dollar. But now, some stores are selling limes for as much as $1.50 each.

In Southern California, where Arellano lives, limes used to sell for about $40 per case. Now, the case lot price is closer to $100. He said that price increase is now being passed on to consumers, with some restaurants charging for small wedges of lime.

"Others [are] giving people lemons ... and of course the consumer knows the lemon is nothing like the lime.

"There is a bar here called Matador Cantina where they have a special: Give us a bag of limes and we'll sell you a margarita for a quarter. But they're trying to rip people off. A bag of limes is really more valuable than a margarita."

Just an idea. But other countries grow limes. Why not import them from there. Sounds like would still be the cheaper option :). Could be bias as Australia grows limes :)

Sent from JD's iPhone using Tapatalk

CBC News reported the following last night about the lime shortage. FYI, in Canada they are a $1 or more for one lime. First world problem, but an interesting story.

Mexican drug cartel behind increase in lines prices-lemons being swapped for lines as prices continue to rise

In some cases, Canadian supermarkets are now charging well over a dollar for a single lime.

The cold weather and agricultural pests have played a part in curtailing lime production and so raising the cost to consumers. But there is another factor at work here as well: In fact, the price of limes in Canada is closely tied to one of Mexico's infamous drug cartels.

While these cartels are known for their tight control of drug production and export, they are also branching out into other businesses, limes being one of them.

Limes are an essential ingredient in much of Mexican cuisine, and one of the country's key exports.

The green citrus fruits are largely grown in one specific region: the state of Michoacán in the country's southwest. And that's where a cartel called the Knights Templar has been elbowing in.

Gustavo Arellano, a syndicated columnist and author who writes about Mexican cultural issues, says the Knights Templar have been making their presence known in an area called La Tierra Caliente for a few years now.

"So what they've done over the last couple of years, is that, if they're nice, they put humongous taxes on the farmers. If they're not nice, they just kill farmers and take the land and take over lime production themselves."

Workers sort limes at a citrus packing plant in La Ruana, in the state of Michoacan, Mexico. Communities in this region had been under the rule of the cartel known as the "Knights Templar" which demanded protection payments from cattlemen, lime growers and other businesses. (The Associated Press)

Starting last year, however, things began to change in Michoacán, when local militias began to spring up in opposition to the Knights Templar cartel.

Those local militias, which are often backed by lime farmers, have been somewhat successful at curtailing the cartels. And the Mexican government has found itself caught in the middle.

"It's been somewhat chaotic given that you've had these 'alto defentas' fighting the cartel," Arellano said. "The cartels have been in retreat ... but as a result they're trying to up their antics with the Mexican military stuck in the middle. So when you have such chaos in the region, price speculators are just going to drive the price of limes up."

Canadians tend to pay a premium for limes anyway, which are generally unit-priced, a few for a dollar. But now, some stores are selling limes for as much as $1.50 each.

In Southern California, where Arellano lives, limes used to sell for about $40 per case. Now, the case lot price is closer to $100. He said that price increase is now being passed on to consumers, with some restaurants charging for small wedges of lime.

"Others [are] giving people lemons ... and of course the consumer knows the lemon is nothing like the lime.

"There is a bar here called Matador Cantina where they have a special: Give us a bag of limes and we'll sell you a margarita for a quarter. But they're trying to rip people off. A bag of limes is really more valuable than a margarita."

Wow this is so interesting! It almost seems fiction! I've read lots of posts on CC that pax aren't getting limes and I'm thinking 'what?!' This info you shared isn't well known but it totally explains it!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Wow this is so interesting! It almost seems fiction! I've read lots of posts on CC that pax aren't getting limes and I'm thinking 'what?!' This info you shared isn't well known but it totally explains it!

That is what I thought as well, so a good reason to post the story. I read about this on CC last night, and today it appears on my news feed. CC, steps ahead of the news. ;)

I guess the cartels have gone from "lines" to "limes".

I guess the cartels have gone from "lines" to "limes".

LOL!!!!!!

Royal~FreedomOfTheSeas 2014

Carnival Glory 2012

Disney Magic 2011

Carnival Triumph 2010

Carnival Victory 2009

Disney Magic 2008

Carnival Inspiration 2008

Carnival Victory 2007

Carnival Triumph 2002

Donray post was spot on.

I am one of the largest distributors on limes in North America and right now we are experiencing the biggest shortage of limes we have ever seen.

Two back to back hurricanes over the summer hit the lime growing region during the bloom. This has caused an enormous shortage of limes and record prices. As of this morning(3/25/14), a box of limes cost $115, this is before it is shipped out across the country.

As for the cartels..they are playing a small part, but not as much as the media is making it out to be. The cartels are also more focused in the Michoacan region. This is where Key Limes are grown. They do produce some Persian Seedless limes but the vast majority of Persian Seedless Limes are grown in Martinez, Veracruz. The cartels are not as heavily concentrated in this region of Mexico. I can more in-depth on this subject but it’s not really necessary.

So the simple reason Royal Caribbean does not have any limes is because they do not want to pay $1XX.00 per box. Which I don’t blame them one bit! The normal price on limes during this time of year is roughly $20.00fob Texas. The production on limes should increase around the 2nd week of May.

Hope this made sense, I am off to a meeting and wanted to get this out as quickly as possible!

I would be very upset if I didn't have a lime in my Vodka Tonic...after all, that's what MAKES the drink!!!

I am going to have to agree with you. Some drinks need lime.

This would probably be a good time to have concierge access. I bet you'd get your limes then.

That explains it all.

We went shopping at our local Mexican Green Grocer and I was bummed out because I wanted V&T's as my drink of the day and they had no limes! Can't have a V&T without limes!

I would have paid a dollar but there were none at all - even in the supermarket!

Donray post was spot on.

I am one of the largest distributors on limes in North America and right now we are experiencing the biggest shortage of limes we have ever seen.

Two back to back hurricanes over the summer hit the lime growing region during the bloom. This has caused an enormous shortage of limes and record prices. As of this morning(3/25/14), a box of limes cost $115, this is before it is shipped out across the country.

As for the cartels..they are playing a small part, but not as much as the media is making it out to be. The cartels are also more focused in the Michoacan region. This is where Key Limes are grown. They do produce some Persian Seedless limes but the vast majority of Persian Seedless Limes are grown in Martinez, Veracruz. The cartels are not as heavily concentrated in this region of Mexico. I can more in-depth on this subject but it’s not really necessary.

So the simple reason Royal Caribbean does not have any limes is because they do not want to pay $1XX.00 per box. Which I don’t blame them one bit! The normal price on limes during this time of year is roughly $20.00fob Texas. The production on limes should increase around the 2nd week of May.

Hope this made sense, I am off to a meeting and wanted to get this out as quickly as possible!

Thank you for the explanation. I am a G&T with extra lime kinda gal so it was distressing to see that I may be out of luck on my cruise later this year. Of course I would then become a G&T with Rose's Lime added and get over it very quickly :D

Just returned from the Allure OTS. I purchased the Premium Package and loved it! I did have a real hard time finding limes on the boat. They kept placing lemon wedges in my Coronas:o

Also used the package in Vintages with no problems. This was my favorite place to grab a glass of wine.

I will have to say that I was disappointed in the variety of martinis and the quality of drinks (did not use fresh juices, etc). Definitely better selection of Martinis on Carnival and Celebrity.

The sommelier in the Dining room was awesome. Kept my wine glass full and brought me afterdinner shots everyday.

Also thought the food in the Main Dining room was awful when compared to Carnival or Celebrity. Food was very bland and meat quality was poor. Enjoyed the food on Carnival much better!!!

Any questions?

Yes when are you next cruising on Carnival ?, because they also have a shortage of Limes :D

Just off the Oasis last Saturday- also no limes & lemons added to every drink -even when it didn't go. DH was told that the lime vendor was late getting to ship and they couldn't hold the ship- this makes more sense.

Also had the Premium package- no problem getting a drink anywhere- though service at times did take long especially at pool. Also did notice at one bar- ordered a Patron Ultimate Margarita (9.50 so under the 10 limit) and watched him pour Jose Cuevuos - not a big deal but would be if I was paying the 9.50. Also would love to see them get away from the cheap mixes and use some real juice.

Just got off the Celebrity Silhouette and no limes there either! Actually, they picked some up in San Juan but they didn't last very long. I had heard that for some reason limes are very expensive right now. Crazy!

I missed my limes in my G & T's!! But, I survived!

On the Reflection last week and they ran out a few days in. They were not able to find any in our ports of call. The bars were using lemons in place of limes.