Attempted Live Blog From The Noordam Christmas Cruise

Emoliash

I thought I would attempt a live blog on the Noordam Christmas cruise leaving Sydney today. It is 14 days travelling to Noumea, Vanuatu and Fiji. It is a nice mix of port days mixed with on-board days.

I have been enjoying the live threads that other travellers have been writing whilst doing my cruise research and thought it might be interesting to have a blog from an antipodean perspective on the South Pacific milk run route as we call it here. Oh and we are travelling with kids....yes I know that is a Holland America anomaly.

We are a first time cruisers, and a family of four consisting of two middle aged adults and two children aged 12 and 8. Hopefully when we embark at the Overseas Passenger Terminal in Sydney the kids won't spot a cruise ship with the waterside, climbing wall and ice-skating rink, as they will probably ring Family Services and complain of neglect!

Yes we know Holland America's older demographic reputation, however I am hoping on this cruise at least 10% will be children and that Club Hal will keep them occupied at some stage. Also when they were researching the cruise (on YouTube of course) we found there were no videos from a kids perspective on this line. So the Go-Pro is packed and they will review the cruise in their way.

My Aunty, who is a veteran cruiser, suggested this cruise and was to come with us, unfortunately was admitted to hospital and has had to cancel. It is disappointing as we both were keen on partaking in the trivia sessions and as she used to create crosswords and puzzles I figured she would be pretty good.

I am looking forward to relaxing but also participating in some of the onboard activities. The signature beverage package has also been bought, which I figure having this with children will take a particular skill set to ensure caffeine and alcohol finds a happy medium.

Private tours have been arranged in Luganville and Lautoka and the 12 year old girl and her father will be going on the Holland America Port Vila zipline excursion. Any ideas on what to do in Port Vila for a few hours in the morning with an 8 year old before we all head to Hideaway Island would be much appreciated.

Our boarding time is 12.30pm but will probably head in a bit earlier. Of course as first time cruisers we have overpacked and there have been a few debates on whether suitcases will slide under the bed.

By the way thank you CC members for all your fabulous information that has helped us get organised.

Thank you for all your good wishes!

Our journey to the cruise terminal got off to a false start when DH had to get the taxi turn around as he had forgotten his headphones!

The look on my face was like this

a81612acf8e95642cf5642be6ea0744b.jpg

We are now onboard and how efficient that was. Probably 30 minutes from the time were dockside to cabin which lucky us faces the Sydney Opera House.

The cabin as expected is narrow but has a lot of storage and all the luggage is stowed under the bed. The balcony is above respite.

As expected the age is skewering older with approximately 200 kids on board. I did giggle when I overheard one lady say "there's lots of kids on this cruise!"

I have to say a lot of the crew look tired. I am a tad uncomfortable that they don't get days off.

A quick bite at the Lido - great sushi and salad. The kids loved the soft serve. It was busy as you would expect The dive-in burgers looked great as did the taco bar.

A quick trip to Club Hal to register and hopefully the kids will embrace it.

An afternoon by the Lido Pool was pleasant particularly with a couple of cocktails. One quibble is the lack of cocktail/ drink lists at the Lido and Seaview Bars.

Now awaiting sail away on the level 9 aft deck with a tom Collins in hand and excited children.

View from the cabinc4cea4f7a88b0cc197cf21599cb936b3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Great pics and how nice you are doing a "live from".

Hopefully Club HAL will impress you and your children. I've heard very good things about it from others with families.

What a lovely view from your cabin!

Looking forward to your updates and following around :)