Answering a question on net forums

sail7seas

If a poster directs a question to a particular poster, do you think them obliged to answer? The person to whom the question is directed may find it offensive insulting, or too private and opts to ignore. I think it fine to not respond, do you?

If a poster directs a question to a particular poster, do you think them obliged to answer? The person to whom the question is directed may find it offensive insulting, or too private and opts to ignore. I think it fine to not respond, do you?

Yes, given this scenario, I would not feel obliged to answer.

Thank you, Marie,

Just because someone asks, no one is obliged to answer IMO

Absolutely! The same rings true if a stranger comes to my front door. Even if the stranger sees me I feel no obligation to open the door. It's my house, my choice.

I wonder what prompted this question? Of course there is no obligation to reply however the fact that somebody has publicly directed a question to a specific individual would suggest that there was a reason - perhaps the targeted individual has an exceptional record of responding to online questions in the message board. It takes all kinds and I suppose there are some who wouldn't think to contact the individual in private. If the question would be in keeping with what I would typically respond to, I'd answer. If the question was personal I would still possibly respond but with something along the lines of: send me an email or PM me...

Thank you, Gary/Cynthia.

CC. does not have pm but some of us provide e mail address. Not that I would answer an e-mail making such an accusation from someone who has never met me.

This is probably more of a treatise than you wanted, but I think it's an interesting question...

None of us are obligated to answer any question on these forums, really. As far as I know, we are not paid by CC or given any consideration by the cruise lines to participate here and/or to provide information. We do it because we enjoy doing it and are free to limit the extent to which we participate.

Regarding your specific question, I think one has to use judgement, just like in real life. There's a big difference between directing a question to someone that may be a bit personal (as posted in your opener) and making an accusation, which you posted later.

My own philosophy is to try to answer any requests for factual information addressed to me. If someone is clearly stirring the pot or making accusations, I feel it is best to ignore them. That is the clear-cut part.

However, there are gray areas. Sometimes posters on these boards make pronouncements or statements without really backing them up, which can lead others to ask for more info in an effort to understand -- e.g., the "why" or the "can you back that up" question. However, it can also just turn into a debate or a witch hunt. One has to choose how far one is willing to explain or defend. For me, if I say something that seems to need clarification, I'll try to clarify it once or maybe twice. But at some point one has to let it be.

I also think frequent posters develop an online reputation or brand based on how they respond. People may look at a particular person as helpful, reactionary, bombastic, funny, defensive, sympathetic or hard to get along with -- again, like real life. We are all different and I'm sure we all have different viewpoints on how much one is obligated to explain oneself online.

Sail, it sounds as if somebody is trolling you? Goodness knows there are few on CC who have been as helpful and giving as you. There is no reason to get sucked into a flame fest with a stranger. I read enough online boards to know that some people seem to live for making trouble - they're not happy unless they've thrown mud on someone. Just ignore them! Some boards have the ability to block specific individuals - I don't know if this one does because in the years that I've been posting here I've never felt the need.

Considering the witch hunts that go on here, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.

I would try to ignore them. I know it's hard, I've seen how they are and have reported quite a few. Nobody deserves some of the snide and malicious comments I've seen.

Sail, it sounds as if somebody is trolling you? Goodness knows there are few on CC who have been as helpful and giving as you. There is no reason to get sucked into a flame fest with a stranger. I read enough online boards to know that some people seem to live for making trouble - they're not happy unless they've thrown mud on someone. Just ignore them! Some boards have the ability to block specific individuals - I don't know if this one does because in the years that I've been posting here I've never felt the need.

Thank you, you have made some excellent points.

CC does have an ignore feature In all the years I have been on CC I have never made use of it, but :)

Considering the witch hunts that go on here, I'm pretty sure I know what you're talking about.

I would try to ignore them. I know it's hard, I've seen how they are and have reported quite a few. Nobody deserves some of the snide and malicious comments I've seen.

Carolyn, you are right. That is why CC provides us with the icon to click and make comment about specific posts. I have done that though, in ALL honesty, not often :halo:

A particular thread comes to mind. Maybe we're on the same page here, maybe not. Either way, I get what you're asking. I'd say yes and no.

If we engage in a conversation and are asked to clarify something by someone who doesn't seem to be fanning any flames, I do think we should answer their question. Of course, they also need to realize that we are not on this site 24/7 and we might not see the question.

On the other hand, it is more than obvious when some people only want to be argumentative and no matter your answer, they'll only spin it some ridiculous and senseless way. This is where that one particular thread is coming to mind. In that case, I see no obligation whatsoever. In fact, I think we are obliged to ignore them and not make things worse. I think we can all be a little better at that. ;)

A particular thread comes to mind. Maybe we're on the same page here, maybe not. Either way, I get what you're asking. I'd say yes and no.

If we engage in a conversation and are asked to clarify something by someone who doesn't seem to be fanning any flames, I do think we should answer their question. Of course, they also need to realize that we are not on this site 24/7 and we might not see the question.

On the other hand, it is more than obvious when some people only want to be argumentative and no matter your answer, they'll only spin it some ridiculous and senseless way. This is where that one particular thread is coming to mind. In that case, I see no obligation whatsoever. In fact, I think we are obliged to ignore them and not make things worse. I think we can all be a little better at that. ;)

Clear and refreshingly rational response.

I actually think this evolved into a useful and good theard.

The couple of people whom I put on my ignore list about 10 years or so ago -- I never even think about them anymore. Makes life easier.

Maybe they aren't even here any more. :) ;p

If a poster directs a question to a particular poster, do you think them obliged to answer?

No

I think it fine to not respond, do you?

Yes

I also think it's perfectly fine to do your best to shut down the conversation with single word answers like Yes or No.

No

Yes

I also think it's perfectly fine to do your best to shut down the conversation with single word answers like Yes or No.

Yes, that should work well :)