Costa Maya Beaches

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas the week before Christmas. I have read the amazing reviews for Maya Chan that mention the problem of seaweed in the water. Do all of the beaches in Costa Maya have a problem with seaweed?

Also, are there any nice public beaches? Or do we need to book an all-inclusive resort in order to have a nice beach day?

We are sailing on Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas the week before Christmas. I have read the amazing reviews for Maya Chan that mention the problem of seaweed in the water. Do all of the beaches in Costa Maya have a problem with seaweed?

Also, are there any nice public beaches? Or do we need to book an all-inclusive resort in order to have a nice beach day?

You might also want to try reading and posting in the port of call forum: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

I too wanted to welcome you to Cruise Critic.

There are no beaches at the port. Take a taxi (you have to walk outside the port area) to the village of Majahual which is on one long beach. Lots of beach bars and clubs there. No seaweed anytime I have been there, but there is seagrass toward the far end of the beach. Taxi is $3 pp going and $2 pp returning to port. Always available too.

There are no beaches at the port. Take a taxi (you have to walk outside the port area) to the village of Majahual which is on one long beach. Lots of beach bars and clubs there. No seaweed anytime I have been there, but there is seagrass toward the far end of the beach. Taxi is $3 pp going and $2 pp returning to port. Always available too.

Are these beaches nice? Or should we do the Maya Chan? We are really just looking for a nice beach day. But we would like seating, nice atmosphere, etc.

We have gone to "public beaches" on other cruises and they have been dirty and somewhat trashy.

Are these beaches nice? Or should we do the Maya Chan? We are really just looking for a nice beach day. But we would like seating, nice atmosphere, etc.

We have gone to "public beaches" on other cruises and they have been dirty and somewhat trashy.

The beaches in the village area will be more crowded and noisier than Maya Chan, but you can still have a nice beach day there. Get there early, because there is limited space.

Like posted previously, look at the Ports of Call boards for info on this. We enjoyed Blue Kay last year. Right at the end of the Malacon, so not as busy at the other places, no seaweed in the water, $2 per person for a cab ride there, either free use of chairs, or $5 per person if they ask you, but it includes an alcoholic drink.

How about Alma Plena Eco Resort? We were there recently on Nov 8. It's an all inclusive that is a bit farther south than Maya Chan. Beautiful beach with a reef just offshore for snorkeling. Food and all beverages are provided. Limited availability so it's a very private location. There are one or two online reviews that compare this and Maya Chan that say that the food at Maya Chan is better. I've not been at Maya Chan, but I will say that we really enjoyed the food at Alma Plena. Worth a look.

... There are one or two online reviews that compare this and Maya Chan that say that the food at Maya Chan is better. I've not been at Maya Chan, but I will say that we really enjoyed the food at Alma Plena. Worth a look.

I can vouch for the food at Maya Chan being very good. However, the road to Maya Chan is an adventure itself, and I would not want to go any farther on that road.

Was just at Tropicante 2 days ago (Nov 21). Loved it. We reserved a table and lounger in advance, at no cost. You pay for food and drinks, and anything else you want to do (great beachside massages!).

Walked outside the port area to the taxi stand. $2 pp on the way to Mahahual, same on the way back to the port (you don’t have to walk back from the taxi stand, it will take you right into the port area but you must have your SeaPass ready to show security). You should get dropped off by the taxi at Calle Cherna when going to Tropicante. Then you just walk toward the beach and turn left.

DW and DD enjoyed the beach and water as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can vouch for the food at Maya Chan being very good. However, the road to Maya Chan is an adventure itself, and I would not want to go any farther on that road.

Ah, where is your sense of adventure? The last mile to Almaplena was also a real thrill!

Ah, where is your sense of adventure? The last mile to Almaplena was also a real thrill!

The taxis going to Almaplena generally go down the highway and then cut across and head north a short way up the bumpy road.

Didn’t your taxi go that route NouCruzer?

The taxis going to Almaplena generally go down the highway and then cut across and head north a short way up the bumpy road.

Didn’t your taxi go that route NouCruzer?

Yes, we went down the highway at about 80mph :eek:, then the last mile or so was quite rustic.

Hi! No huge info for you but we are on this cruise, too! I debated on what to do here and at Roatan and decided to do the official beach break thing (infinity bay Resort) in Roatan and opted for Tropicante in CM.

See you in a few weeks! I’m so exited to be cruising again after a few years off.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi! No huge info for you but we are on this cruise, too! I debated on what to do here and at Roatan and decided to do the official beach break thing (infinity bay Resort) in Roatan and opted for Tropicante in CM.

See you in a few weeks! I’m so exited to be cruising again after a few years off.

Also on this cruise and have reservations at Tropicante.

How about Alma Plena Eco Resort? We were there recently on Nov 8. It's an all inclusive that is a bit farther south than Maya Chan. Beautiful beach with a reef just offshore for snorkeling. Food and all beverages are provided. Limited availability so it's a very private location. There are one or two online reviews that compare this and Maya Chan that say that the food at Maya Chan is better. I've not been at Maya Chan, but I will say that we really enjoyed the food at Alma Plena. Worth a look.

I second Alma Plena. It is a really beautiful stretch of beach. The food and service were great. We liked the food better at Alma Plena than at Maya Chan. But, food is very subjective.

Another vote for almaplena. We just got back yesterday. It was beautiful. There were only two other people there and the beach was very private. Martha, the manager was really nice. The food was amazing and the beach was gorgeous. When you register on their website, they tell you all about the day. They even take care of the taxi fees for you which will be included with your registration. If you want a beautiful, private beach, this is the location for you. With the exception of the two people staying at the resort, the neighbor's dog, the manager and the bartender, we didn't see anyone else all day!

Another vote for almaplena. We just got back yesterday. It was beautiful. There were only two other people there and the beach was very private. Martha, the manager was really nice. The food was amazing and the beach was gorgeous. When you register on their website, they tell you all about the day. They even take care of the taxi fees for you which will be included with your registration. If you want a beautiful, private beach, this is the location for you. With the exception of the two people staying at the resort, the neighbor's dog, the manager and the bartender, we didn't see anyone else all day!

Did your taxi take you along the highway and cut across to Almaplena or did it take you the long way along the bumpy road passed Maya Chan?

So, what is the cost for Alma Plena? Looked at their website and there is no price, although the pictures are lovely.

Our price was $65 per person for all inclusive lunch and drinks. Taxi fare to and from the resort is also included. As an aside, Almaplena did not have the sea grass and cloudy water issues that some complain about at Maya Chan.

Our price was $65 per person for all inclusive lunch and drinks. Taxi fare to and from the resort is also included. As an aside, Almaplena did not have the sea grass and cloudy water issues that some complain about at Maya Chan.

Can you answer my question above re the route?