Adding another guest for upcoming cruise

My son is taking a friend on our next cruise. Unfortunately, this has caused a little bit of cruise envy with ANOTHER friend, so my son is asking to include him as well.

How do I do that? I have about 3 days until final payment. Is adding another person an option this late?

HELP!!!

My son is taking a friend on our next cruise. Unfortunately, this has caused a little bit of cruise envy with ANOTHER friend, so my son is asking to include him as well.

How do I do that? I have about 3 days until final payment. Is adding another person an option this late?

HELP!!!

Did you book your cruise through a Travel Agent (TA) or directly with RCCL? You need to call your TA or RCCL asap to find out if your stateroom can handle 5 cruisers (2 adults and 3 children). Most staterooms have a maximum capacity of 4 cruisers. If yours is one of them, you obviously will not be able to take your son’s second friend.

Did you book your cruise through a Travel Agent (TA) or directly with RCCL? You need to call your TA or RCCL asap to find out if your stateroom can handle 5 cruisers (2 adults and 3 children). Most staterooms have a maximum capacity of 4 cruisers. If yours is one of them, you obviously will not be able to take your son’s second friend.

My son and the original friend are in a stateroom of their own. We have two interior staterooms. Right now I'm just waiting for RC's website to come back up. Keep getting an error message from them. Thanks for the input!

Sorry, but we have NEVER had a problem adding and unless the ship is already booked to its max capacity I doubt you will either and even then the cruise line probably keeps back a little wiggle room. We are talking additional revenue here after all. How can a ship be at max capacity if YOUR CABINS have empty spaces?

It has nothing to do with how many cabins are left and everything to do with life boat capacity.

You will most likely need to call RCCL or your TA to do this. If the room sleeps 3 and the life boat that room is assigned to has space then they will allow you to add.

Think of it this way life boat A holds 300 people and is for 100 cabins. If 75 of those 100 cabins are booked at 4 people each they can not book the other 25 cabins, period because there is no more space in the life boat.

Sorry, but we have NEVER had a problem adding and unless the ship is already booked to its max capacity I doubt you will either and even then the cruise line probably keeps back a little wiggle room. We are talking additional revenue here after all. How can a ship be at max capacity if YOUR CABINS have empty spaces?

What you are saying can't happen, did happen to my father. He booked a balcony cabin and booked it as a single. About a month or so before the cruise, he wanted to add a friend, as he had already paid for 2 people except for the port charges/fees. He was told that because the ship had cabins near him booked with 3 or 4 people, there was no space to add another person to the lifeboat, so no, he couldn't add another person.

He wasn't able to add the friend, even though his cabin held 2 people and he paid for 2.

My son and the original friend are in a stateroom of their own. We have two interior staterooms. Right now I'm just waiting for RC's website to come back up. Keep getting an error message from them. Thanks for the input!

Hopefully RC’s website is working and you were able to get your son’s second friend added to the second room. If not, call RCI asap to add the third guest.

In all our years of cruising, I have met lots of cruisers who added another person to their stateroom (after the final payment date). As long as the stateroom was designated for that extra person, none of them had a problem.

'happens all the time. the life boat capacity is finite and based on a figure of x people on average per cabin. might be 2 per, might be 3 per. but when you have cabins rated for 4 and they are all booked for 4, then the total number of bodies allowed is reached before the number of beds are booked. and just because there is room in one section of the ship, base don on lifeboat capacity, does NOT mean that the section the OP is booked in has room.

furthermore, when kids are involved, they can and will deny adding a person bas d on age if the kids clubs are at potential max capacity based on current ages of those already booked.

Check your cabin category to see if it holds 3. The way Royal has been restricting bookings lately it would not surprise me to find out that both your cabins hold a maximum of 2 people.

If your cabin only holds 2 people you will basically be cancelling that reservation and be booking a new reservation for a cabin that holds 3 and all 3 guests will pay current rates.

If your cabin only holds 2 people you will basically be cancelling that reservation and be booking a new reservation for a cabin that holds 3 and all 3 guests will pay current rates.

Plus if your child is under age 18, I think your cabin has to be close to his -- next to, or across the hall.

Which means you might have to rebook your cabin also, or at least move it.

What ages are these children?

IMPORTANT: You need an official notarized letter from the parents of the child that is not yours.

RCI has the official form for this.

Thank you to everyone for your advice! After waiting for the website to come back up (it didn't), and waiting on hold for 30 minutes (I hung up), I finally checked for availability of a cabin that would accommodate the 3 of them, I canceled the first room and booked the second. The new room is close enough for my peace of mind, but far enough that 3 young adults can "adult" without worrying about being spied upon.

Thanks again for all of the info. I can now look forward to our cruise! Now I have to make sure not to spill the beans to the BF, since it's his Christmas present!!!

Royal's website has been up, if you are having issues connecting with it, you should clear your cookies and cache.

Sorry. You're right. The site has been up. The area I was having trouble with kept giving me an error message. I was able to cancel and re-book. Thanks!

Adding an additional passenger to a room this late, all depends on your cabins and the Lifeboat they are assigned to. If the number of cabins for that lifeboat has reached its capacity, then regardless if the cabin can handle the person you won't be able to add them. I honestly don't know the number of cabins assigned to a given lifeboat, but as an example, if the lifeboat capacity is #300 for a block of cabins. Once that number is reached then no additional passengers can be added within that block of cabins. Glad you wre able to get everything worked out. Have a wonderful cruise and surprise for you BF

Thank you to everyone for your advice! After waiting for the website to come back up (it didn't), and waiting on hold for 30 minutes (I hung up), I finally checked for availability of a cabin that would accommodate the 3 of them, I canceled the first room and booked the second. The new room is close enough for my peace of mind, but far enough that 3 young adults can "adult" without worrying about being spied upon.

Thanks again for all of the info. I can now look forward to our cruise! Now I have to make sure not to spill the beans to the BF, since it's his Christmas present!!!

Glad everything worked out ok for you. Best wishes for a great cruise and the surprise Christmas present.