ginger pills

micro yaya

i recently had a bout with vertigo, and am going on princess in 33 days. rather than taking all the traditional meds, i thought i'd try ginger pills. i am well now, but naturally a bit afraid what will happen once on the ship. have you taken these pills, how did they work, and how did your system handle them.........thank you all for any input:)

i recently had a bout with vertigo, and am going on princess in 33 days. rather than taking all the traditional meds, i thought i'd try ginger pills. i am well now, but naturally a bit afraid what will happen once on the ship. have you taken these pills, how did they work, and how did your system handle them.........thank you all for any input:)

I had a bout of vertigo 8 days before leaving on a 32 day cruise around South America in March so I understand what you are saying -- it was very scary as they thought I'd had a stroke. My husband went to Costco to get Gravol that the doctor had suggested but after discussions with pharmacist bought their Travel Tabs instead - very cheap and they worked like a charm -- no side effects and they got rid of the original vertigo problem and I haven't used them since. I keep them with me just in case. I typically don't suffer from seasickness, I'm more worried about another case of vertigo.

The ginger pills work great. Just make sure that you drink water before you take them to lubricate your throat or they might stick to your throat, yuck! And then drink a lot after swallowing them. Also, don't take them if you have a bleeding problem or are on blood thinners, as they do thin your blood. You can also get crystallized ginger candy. Give them a try, they work great!

I too suffer from an occasional bout of vertigo and also am susceptible to motion sickness, but I love to cruise! I take both a ginger pill and a bonine every morning on a cruise and so far, it works! I also take both ginger and bonine when I have vertigo. (My doctor told me that vertigo and motion sickness can be treated the same!).

Enjoy your cruise.

Years ago in rough seas queasiness hit that I had never felt before. I went to the ships shop for meds and one of the crew gave me a pack of ginger pills. I scoffed, but since it was a crew member I figured I would give it a try. It worked better than I would have ever thought. The only side effect was an increase in appetite..I will take that over drowsy and a hold on my wine with dinner any day...What a place to have your appetite in overdrive.....I buy a fresh bottle before every cruise. :)

We had a horrible sea day/night this last cruise and I could feel myself getting nauseous and my head started to pound. Sure signs of motion sickness for me. I put on my wrist bands, (yes they work) and took a couple ginger pills. No problems within a few minutes. I went to bed and slept like a mummy! I don't like to take motion sickness pills because they make me tired, unfocused and give me almost an amnesia experience. Not pleasant and a total waste of a vacation day!

Thank you all for your suggestions. I cut and paste them all in to a word doc for me to have in my cruise file for my 2011 14day Hawaii cruise. I will try everything to see what will work best for me, everyone is a little different.

If any one else has any suggestion please post them and I will take them.

Thanks again

I have also used the ginger pills with good success. Often, I am queasy for the first few days after we get home. I sometimes continue to take them for a few days then as well.

Thanks Coolmama for that suggestion about taking the Ginger after getting home. After last cruise, I had what I called "boat head" for 2 days after getting home and felt terrible! I will definitely give that a try.

Thanks Coolmama for that suggestion about taking the Ginger after getting home. After last cruise, I had what I called "boat head" for 2 days after getting home and felt terrible! I will definitely give that a try.

Suffered Vertigo and had medication called Serc for it. When on cruises take some in case and always work.and Especially on a rough BOAT trip in NZ.

We took ginger pills every morning, and meclazine at bedtime. Dont know if we needed them or not, but we didnt get sick.

This worked for us thru hurricaines out of New Orleans a few years ago, and boy those seas were rough. Never had any problems and it didn't mess with vision or the ability to have a drink if we chose to do so.

Starfish, I never thought about ginger interacting with other medications! Do you know specifically of any? I always take ginger and have had great sucess with it, but now I'm worried!

if i remember correctly Coumadin is one...others, but cant remember ALWAYS just a good idea to check with your dr or pharmacist:)

As I said upthread, ginger thins the blood; so if you take blood thinners, a lot of aspirin or other things that may aggravate bleeding disorders, you should not take it. It is always wise to check with your doc first.

Another benefit of ginger is that it heats up your system and ups your metabolism, so it's good for weight loss!

Hello,

With ginger pills, bonine and all, make sure you also pick up some sea bands. They stabilize you too. (A sales person in a famous jewelry store once asked me to save my money and buy the sea bands instead of a Philip Stein watch as they both work on the same principle). I have also heard about this new bracelet that is being advertised, that regulates frequencies in your body for stability. I haven't researced that myself, but see a lot of people wearing it. Green apples and crackers have been suggested for sea sickness and also the white part of a slice of bread if you feel queasy. Personally, my experience was that I felt the motion more inside the ship. But the moment I stepped out on deck, I was fine....could not feel any rocking or rolling motion as much as inside. So, perhaps a bout of fresh air is good.

Archived