What side of ship

I agree with port but..............

I would put my emphasis on where on the deck the room is located over which side particularly on this type of voyage because of the potential roughness of the seas.

Keith

"What side of the ship is best for a balcony for sun..."...I just could not let this pass. The best side is the...outside! ;p

LOL, I am surprised you didn't also clarify that you needed to be on top as well rather than under the balcony. The best time is obviously Daytime.;p

You may get sun in October, but heading SW into the prevailing winds could make it less than inviting outside at that time of year.

In those situations, the trick is to find a spot out on deck that gets the sun but is shielded from the wind.

We avoid the repositioning cruises in the Fall, preferring those in the late Spring, which sail with the wind. In fact, on one such voyage, the captain said he could not recall having so many calm, hot blue skies on so many consecutive days. Beautiful. Just what you need on a multi-sea day cruise.

You may get sun in October, but heading SW into the prevailing winds could make it less than inviting outside at that time of year.

In those situations, the trick is to find a spot out on deck that gets the sun but is shielded from the wind.

We avoid the repositioning cruises in the Fall, preferring those in the late Spring, which sail with the wind. In fact, on one such voyage, the captain said he could not recall having so many calm, hot blue skies on so many consecutive days. Beautiful. Just what you need on a multi-sea day cruise.

Good point about the wind, depending on the balcony it may be quite exposed.

Hi all,

What side of the ship is best for a balcony for sun travelling to the Caribbean from Southampton in Oct.

Thanks

Crossing the Atlantic in October, you might be lucky and see some sun, but in reality it will most likely be overcast, at least for the first few days. You may also experience some early winter storms, so it may be rather wet & windy on the balcony.

If you do get some sun, if you prefer sunrise and morning sun - opt for the port side. For sunsets and afternoon sun - opt for the stbd side.

Round trip to the Caribbean last November we had excellent weather once we left Portugal, but on the return leg the weather was pretty awful for the last 7 days. Shows you can never tell what the weather will be like.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Forums mobile app

• 1 month later...

Interested in a clear response to which side of the ship will experience afternoon sun traveling Westbound from UK to the Caribbean.

We are considering the Panoramic Ocean View cabins on the bow and do NOT wish to have the afternoon sun.

So with that in mind, leaving any other considerations, like clouds and storms, which side GETS the AFTERNOON sun? thanks in advance!

Interested in a clear response to which side of the ship will experience afternoon sun traveling Westbound from UK to the Caribbean.

We are considering the Panoramic Ocean View cabins on the bow and do NOT wish to have the afternoon sun.

So with that in mind, leaving any other considerations, like clouds and storms, which side GETS the AFTERNOON sun? thanks in advance!

Portside gets all the sun as soon as you head south. From sun up to sun down the sun is right out the window. Starboard side gets no sun at all. We were on the Indy transatlantic last Oct. and had cool weather leaving Southampton but the next 14 days were shorts and t shirts every day. Starting on day 11 it got hot and stayed hot. Knock on wood, the entire trip from Southampton was fantastic weather and seas every day.