Oasis - just back - SEA SICK!!!

JennSMaggie

Was anyone else on the Oasis this week??

There were no waves or storms, the ocean was calm, but the ship rocked so much I was sick almost the whole time! I have cruised 7 times before and never got sick once, and many other people we met said the same thing.

Some of the other passengers were saying that the Captain turned off the stabilizers to save RCCL money or something. I paid so much for this trip, if I find that out to be true I will never cruise RCCL again.

Would they actually do this, and risk so many passengers feeling sick on their vacation? I'm just so upset about this. Any insights?

Jenn

There were no waves or storms, the ocean was calm, but the ship rocked so much I was sick almost the whole time! I have cruised 7 times before and never got sick once, and many other people we met said the same thing.

Some of the other passengers were saying that the Captain turned off the stabilizers to save RCCL money or something. I paid so much for this trip, if I find that out to be true I will never cruise RCCL again.

Would they actually do this, and risk so many passengers feeling sick on their vacation? I'm just so upset about this. Any insights?

Jenn

The stabilizers do use alot of fuel. Most Captains will not use them unless it becomes absolutely necessary. I've also read somewhere that Captains receive bonuses for fuel savings, but I don't know just how true that is.

Welcome to CC as I see this is your 1st post. If there are calm seas, no waves, or winds, no need for the stabilizers. Doubtful if the Captain didn't use them just to save fuel as that is an already assumed fixed cost, but who knows. Sorry about the rocking. I would never say never just because I had 1 bad experience, although sea sick can be a miserable experience.

Jenn

Hi Jenn. Welcome to Cruise Critic. Did you take any medicine to help your sea sickness or did you go to the medical center?

Hi Jenn. Welcome to Cruise Critic. Did you take any medicine to help your sea sickness or did you go to the medical center?

I was wondering that myself. I for one, would not go 7 days without doing something to feel better. I've been sea sick only once and it was awful. I feel for you. :(

You probably read it here on these threads, and it was probably written by someone else that did not know how true it was either. :rolleyes:

Although in fairness most Senior Executives in most companies would get bonuses for cost savings, so why would that not also apply to Captains.

However most cost savings on fuel are made by shorter time in port allowing a longer time to get to the next port, and the Captains do not control that aspect of a cruise.

I have sailed on both The Oasis and The allure and found them to be very stable, in fact I believe because of their size, they actually only have 2 stabiliser where as some smaller ships have four.

...............I've also read somewhere that Captains receive bonuses for fuel savings, but I don't know just how true that is.

This is strange, I was on oasis last week - very calm seas all week - and never once felt any movement. I even commented to my family that I kind of missed feeling it, especially at night when I went to sleep.

And you wrote this as your first post ever because?...
Our very first cruise was Princess. The ship rocked side to side. I was green as were about 50% of the crew. We were later told that the stabilizers were broken. It was miserable and I swore I'd never again set foot on a cruise ship ... that was 40+ cruises ago. I do understand how you feel. We now book midship and I take Bonine a day before our trip. Check your roll call and see if others experienced the same problem.

I can not understand why someone would go on a cruise and not take Bonine or some similar method of avoiding seasickness. Unless a person has been on the ocean a LOT and OFTEN, they are going to be susceptible to motion sickness. Anybody who says that they do not get sea sick is only fooling themselves. It is just a matter of time and the right conditions before they are turning 'green' and reaching for the 'barf' bags.

This is strange, I was on oasis last week - very calm seas all week - and never once felt any movement. I even commented to my family that I kind of missed feeling it, especially at night when I went to sleep.

Same here, I felt less motion on the Oasis than any other ship

It also depends on the location of the OP's cabin. You actually feel the motion more on a higher deck than if you were on a lower deck midship.

We've been on Oasis 3 times and on deck 17 and never felt any waves. Maybe we are just lucky.

I can not understand why someone would go on a cruise and not take Bonine or some similar method of avoiding seasickness. Unless a person has been on the ocean a LOT and OFTEN, they are going to be susceptible to motion sickness. Anybody who says that they do not get sea sick is only fooling themselves. It is just a matter of time and the right conditions before they are turning 'green' and reaching for the 'barf' bags.

Then I guess that you know me better than I do. I've never been seasick and I have ridden ferries back and forth to various local islands in some very nasty weather. In fact, I love it when the boat is rocking away.

I was on the same cruise. The ocean wasn't rough or choppy and now white caps. There was almost constant rollers. They are hard to avoid and I don't think the stabilizers would help in this case. They caused a lot of slow rolling motion on the ship. I was on the Allure on another cruise but we didn't experience this that time. If you looked out at the ocean you could see the long rollers extending way out there.

I got sea sick once on a deep sea fishing trip, it is really rough!!! I never take anything for sea sickness with me as I have never been sea sick on a cruise ship. Have done 12 cruises now. I like a little sway but I sure never want to experience that sickness agin. Maybe I should pack something next time just in case.

We have heard the explaination that the stabilizers only help the side to side motion. If the ship is going over the big rollers that we often experience, there isn't very much anyone can do. The captain will always try to avoid these kind of seas, but sometimes they are unavoidable. We have been on more than 100 cruises and still depend on sea sick remedies when it's really bad outside. The captain knows that the comefort of the passengers is one of his most important jobs, second only to passenger safety.

I wrote this as my first thread because I just got back and am more than a little upset. Wanted to see if anyone had experienced what I had.

I did take motion sickness medicine but I have side effects with other medication I'm on so couldn't continue the whole cruise.

I just got an email from a friend of a friend who knows someone in the Hairspray cast who said that there is a brand new captain on this week and he turned off the stabilizers for financial kickback. Sad.

Probably going to spend my $$ on a different line next time. I've cruised a lot and this was crazy rough.... a fellow passenger's daughter even threw up. Sad when it effects the kids too. :(

I've never been sea sick either, but am thinking of packing Bonine just in case..

Can anyone tell me if bonine makes you tired? If so, is there anything recomended that won't cause drowysiness?

Thanks for any info. :)

Bonine is the brand name for generic Meclozine. You can buy it under the generic name at Walmart or other drug stores for a lot less than the brand name. It is on the shelf right next to the brand name (Bonine). Here is some info about the drug. One tablet a day is the standard dosage. I usually take the first one the evening before boarding and every evening after. This way if there are any drowsy side-effects, I am sleeping through them anyway. Sometimes I get sleepy in the afternoon, but that may be because I am stretched out in the lounge soaking up the sun.... :)

I take it because it is cheap insurance to avoid getting sick if/when the ship hits some rough waters. On our last cruise from Bermuda to Boston, the ship went through a storm with 85 knot winds (Capt told us the next day..) and a very severe rock & roll seas. There were a lot of green faces and usage of the barf bags by the people who said they never get sea sick.... Did not bother us at all except for a couple bruises on my arms when I bounced off the walls walking down the hall. :)

p.s. I looked at the ocean several times and did not see the rolling waves... it was a calm sea compared to the other times I've cruised....

I think the brand new Captain explanation explains it all....

I hope it's better for the people on the Oasis this week....

I wrote this as my first thread because I just got back and am more than a little upset. Wanted to see if anyone had experienced what I had.

I did take motion sickness medicine but I have side effects with other medication I'm on so couldn't continue the whole cruise.

I just got an email from a friend of a friend who knows someone in the Hairspray cast who said that there is a brand new captain on this week and he turned off the stabilizers for financial kickback. Sad.

Probably going to spend my $$ on a different line next time. I've cruised a lot and this was crazy rough.... a fellow passenger's daughter even threw up. Sad when it effects the kids too. :(

I don't have any reason to doubt what you say but I don't know that someone in the cast of Hairspray is necessarily going to be in the know about the running of the ship.

Jenn

Never got sick on any ship and have been on both Allure and Oasis. Barely felt the either ship move.

Archived