Mediterranean cruises why cheaper in April?

KarimaJ

Hi. I was checking some prices for a Mediterranean cruise for our April vacation and end of June. April is a lot cheaper, but I would think June would be cheaper since the weather is hot and humid at that time. Am I missing something? Or is it just because school is out and families travel more in June?

Med weather isn't 'hot and humid'; it's hot and dry! From about mid-June to mid-September is school holiday times, so it's peak time, therefore more expensive as there's more demand. Also, as others have said, April can be still quite cool and unsettled, with rougher seas sometimes.

The weather is only a small factor in pricing. April (especially early April) is considered the "shoulder season" in many tourist areas and generally means lower prices and smaller crowds. It is also during the school year which restricts the travel of many. If you go to the island of Santorini in early April you will find that quite a few restaurants and shops might not even be open for the "season." Also consider that early Spring is not a good time for those who us who enjoy beaches and swimming in the sea.

It is not much different here in the USA. If you go to a sea resort in April-May you will often get a pretty decent rate reduction from the "high season" in Jun-Aug.

Hank

We would actually prefer cooler weather to walk around and go on excursions since most are land excursions and not beach. For beaches we would def do summertime. In MA the kids get April vacation mid April so that’s what we’re looking at.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

April will be perfectly fine for sightseeing, there may be occasional light showers and it'll be a little cooler at night. Be prepared for that and you'll have no issues.

I'm surprised the rates are much different as Easter is later in April next year and that usually attracts a premium, as it's a popular time for families to travel.

I should add that since we from MA “hot” to us is different then you southerners [emoji16]. In April 80 and humid feels pretty darn hot. My last Caribbean cruise in April vacation week felt humid but not unbearable.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I should've caveated my weather experience too, I'm in Ireland so unless it's the Arctic, everywhere is warm and pleasant :D:D

Our last sailing from Genoa, it was October and 20c, we thought it was warm and were in T-shirts, the locals had winter coats on and looked at us very suspiciously :')

I should've caveated my weather experience too, I'm in Ireland so unless it's the Arctic, everywhere is warm and pleasant :D:D

Our last sailing from Genoa, it was October and 20c, we thought it was warm and were in T-shirts, the locals had winter coats on and looked at us very suspiciously :')

When I lived in the Canaries I used to love because on 1st October all the locals would have their coats and boots on and babies with knitted hats etc. It never really gets very cold there and the temperatures were around 25c.

Sent from my iPad using Forums