GEM November 11th - Out of New York

70 Roadrunner

Sailing this itinerary. All ports of call have been devastated by Irma. Anyone considering rescheduling cruise ? Any ideas where this sailing will be re-routed to? Obviously too soon but anyone with past experience have a guesstimate of when we will be notified.? Thoughts with all those impacted by this monster storm.

Sailing this itinerary. All ports of call have been devastated by Irma. Anyone considering rescheduling cruise ? Any ideas where this sailing will be re-routed to? Obviously too soon but anyone with past experience have a guesstimate of when we will be notified.? Thoughts with all those impacted by this monster storm.

So many ships will be rerouting it is impossible to say based on past experience. This is unprecedented. You didn't mention the ports. I have a december 3 sailing to 6 ports, all affected to some degree. San Juan will be ok. I think Antigua and St. Kitts may be OK. St Maarten, Tortola not going to be ok for a long time. St. Thomas? I am hopeful they can be operational. Maybe. Where else you going?

Maybe to Bermuda?

It is too early to tell. You're not cruising until Nov which is 2 months away. Please wait a month and you'll get a clearer picture, okay.

We are on the Getaway TA from CPH to MIA next month, stopping in Azores, St. Maarteen and St. Thomas ... I will wait until we get notification from NCL while on board or before. I guess we have been on so many cruises by now .... this is the 2nd time we may miss St. Maarten - out of 3.

I understand that there are a lot of new cruisers who booked cruises so far ahead for specific ports they want to visit ... perhaps there is a time for them to hit the reality check and learn that itineraries can be changed against their favour, learn to be willing to accept the change, learn to be able to cancel if allowed to do so, learn to rebook, etc without getting really so upset enough to cry and despair.

We live in the hurricane alley and have had our holidays cut short when the wonderfully cruel mother nature's creations cancelled our flights off island!

Cruising is so wonderful, but it does have its disadvantages :(

Based on what I am following in the news, NCL will providing Western Caribbean instead of Eastern for some time. I'm sure they are scrambling to deal with current passengers. Also, I read something about cruise lines sending ships out to provide humanitarian relief in the areas which have been hit hard. To the extent that this is what is happening, please remember that a cruise is still a cruise -- you get to enjoy the ship, the food, the entertainment, etc. The ports are never guaranteed. If you have too much time on your hands, search the message boards and read about the perils of planning destination weddings based on cruise itineraries.

My husband and I are also on the GEM sailing from New York on Nov. 11th. Should be interesting to see where we end up. I pray for all those people who live on the islands so badly destroyed. St. Thomas holds a very special place in my heart and I was married there. It's heartbreaking. NO matter where we go...it's a vacation and away from work.

Hang in there. San Juan is fine, St. Thomas is a slim maybe, but the other 2 won't be ready. Western caribbean isn't very easy for a 10 day sailing from NY. It takes 4 days to get to the western from NYC, 4 days back, or 3 days if it's triangular with San Juan for example. Your cruise could be a combo of some kind. I have a similar situation with Breakaway Dec. 3, a 12 day sailing. Western is a stretch. Hoping they will adapt ours to a part southern keeping 3 ports and putting in 2 new replacement ports (we'd lose one as a new day at sea.)

Hang in there. San Juan is fine, St. Thomas is a slim maybe, but the other 2 won't be ready. Western caribbean isn't very easy for a 10 day sailing from NY. It takes 4 days to get to the western from NYC, 4 days back, or 3 days if it's triangular with San Juan for example. Your cruise could be a combo of some kind. I have a similar situation with Breakaway Dec. 3, a 12 day sailing. Western is a stretch. Hoping they will adapt ours to a part southern keeping 3 ports and putting in 2 new replacement ports (we'd lose one as a new day at sea.)

I would live to see NCL re-route us to the Southern Caribbean. I have a feeling we will end up in PR, Nassua, Port C in FLA. Not sure Western Caribbean is feasible from the NYC port.

I would live to see NCL re-route us to the Southern Caribbean. I have a feeling we will end up in PR, Nassua, Port C in FLA. Not sure Western Caribbean is feasible from the NYC port.

Is it possible to throw in an overnight in Havana ? Couple that with PR and Bahamas and you would have a nice alternative.

Is it possible to throw in an overnight in Havana ? Couple that with PR and Bahamas and you would have a nice alternative.

You bet. I would be on board with that itinerary. Although we would lose a port day. 10 day cruise with 6 sea days doesn't sound too great.

We'd love going to the Southern Caribbean too but I can totally see your guess happening (with the addition of GSC).

My husband and I are also on this cruise. We will not be cancelling. I'm hoping we sail to other unaffected Eastern or ABC islands. Florida/Bahamas would be my last choice since we did this in May. Will not complain about wherever we wind up.

Our itinerary is San Juan, St.Maartin, St. Thomas and Tortola. From pictures I've seen it looks like total devastation. Prayers for all on these island.

I did this run in Jan 2016. It's 10 days round trip correct?

Hmm...I think they could possibly do Nassau...San Juan...st croix ( not sure if ncl does that)

Miami...GSC...st Kitts..plus an extra sea day...or some sort of combo of these ports however Miami and st kitts and Nassau don't all work together for this timeframe but one or the other might work

There is no way a r/t NYC 10 night can get much further but what needs to happen is if they want to keep the San Juan port they need to find close other ports...like st croix or St. John

Alternately...they will do overnight ports. Or the do charleston/Miami/Nassau type of thing

You just can't get back to NYC if you go much further south than the original itin St Maarten

Is about it from NYC r/t in 10 days unfortunately

The 14 day NYC cruises will have less of an issue as they can make st kitts/st Lucia/Barbados/Dominica/Martinique with no problem.

I've done this itin as well with plenty of time to get back to NYC but the 10 day cruises are going to be an issue...of course they could extend them to 12 day or cut them to 7/8 day or add sea days

Ncl changed all the BA 12 day cruises to 13/14 day cruises and added loads of new ports back in 2016 when they weren't able to do the cruises to nowhere any longer so they just added those days to the 12 day cruises.

I'm thinking if ncl extends or reduces your 10 day cruise though you will get the option to cancel however I think extra sea days and overnight ports are what you will get

This 10 NYC r/t is a great itin but unfortunately will be severely changed due to all the damage

Sent from my iPad using Forums

My husband and I are also on this cruise. We will not be cancelling. I'm hoping we sail to other unaffected Eastern or ABC islands. Florida/Bahamas would be my last choice since we did this in May. Will not complain about wherever we wind up.

You can't make the ABC islands. Check the map

You bet. I would be on board with that itinerary. Although we would lose a port day. 10 day cruise with 6 sea days doesn't sound too great.

Lotsa luck getting your visa ($$$$). Havana isn't happening last minute for these cruises

Lotsa luck getting your visa ($$$$). Havana isn't happening last minute for these cruises

Most of the cruise lines sailing to Cuba (or at least the ones I'm looking at) get the VISA for you so it might be possible. Cost is $75 pp

We are celebrating our 30th anniversary and did this itinerary on our honeymoon. I wouldn't be disappointed if they extended the cruise a couple of more days tho.

I love longer cruises as well but if they extend the 10 day they need be able to extend each cruise for the entire season

It wouldn't surprise me if they did just that. They did it in 2016 and what emerged was an incridible itin that the BA still does every winter season